Medical training for bus drivers???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CmtEmtB

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2001 :  08:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to know everyone's opinion on CPR and/or first aid training for bus drivers. I am an EMT (Emergency Medical Technition) and CPR instruction. If a kid gets injured on my bus, I think I'll be OK in handeling it. But most of the drivers for our school (about 20 in all) don't even know basic first aid. Of all the people that should be certified, drivers and teachers are near the top of the list. Think of how many kids you see a day. Though accidents may be infrequent, the likelyhood of them happening is great. What is your opinion/your state's requirements?

Go the extra mile: It's never crowded.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2001 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats an admirable idea at first thought. However, most districts will be afraid of litigation under such circumstances. ANYTHING happens that shouldn't have and guess who gets the blame? Thats right, the school district! I doubt there would be many takers for that reason.
Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 11/02/2001 12:15:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2001 :  11:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CA drivers are required to have a first aid certificate. We go beyond the minimums and also require CPR for all drivers and bus attendants.

Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2001 :  05:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To CmtEmtB:

I agree with you completely. Sometimes taking two different over the counter medications can result in someone going into full arrest. If CPR is required that person is already technically dead. As to the issue raised in one of the post concerning litigation. In situations requiring CPR etc, there is a law that effectively bars litigation in most states and that law is known as the good samaritan law. Most states have one.

Go to Top of Page

bosslady

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2001 :  07:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the state of Kansas to be a school bus driver you must be certified in CPR and first aid. You must attend an 8 hour course before you begin driving a bus and a 4 hour course for 2 years and an 8 hour course every 3 years. They are also required to take a Defensive driving (or Driver Improvement course) every 3 years. Every bit of training we are required to have only makes it safer for the children we transport.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoss

105 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2001 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Drivers and Bus Monitors must be CPR and First Aid certified.

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2001 :  1:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any employee of a Utah State School District who has a CDL and Passenger Endorsement is required to stay current and be certified in CPR & First Aid. Whether that individual elects to use this training in an emergency is up to the individual but if they commit to give CPR or First Aid they have to stay with it until they are relieved by and EMT or other trained personnel.

Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2001 :  3:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What John Farr said...
I prefer going thru the Red+ class cause you also get CPR

Buslady
Long Live Crown Coach Corp! Detroit Diesel rules!

Edited by - busladyofsocal on 11/19/2001 3:53:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusCharter

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2001 :  08:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Virginia, First Aid basic training is supposed to be taught by the individual county and city municipal bus systems, after hire. But this rarely happens. I agree that all bus drivers should have to take a state course in basic First Aid with CPR training. I know that in many cases across America a student gets hurt and everybody on the bus is trying to get into a 5 or 7 year old First Aid kit all wrapped up, then reading side of boxes and fumbling all over the place, while the child bleeds. I use to serve in the rescue squad so I am prepared and my boss here at this contract location requires all of us to attend an American Red Cross safety class and first aid class each year. Also to become familiar with the first aide kit on the bus.

Ryan Mathews
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Ray Turner

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  9:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dr. Ray Turner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First Aid and CPR are the minimum training for all drivers, assistants and substitute personnel on all buses--regular or special needs. Two year refesher courses are taught in our district to keep everyone ready to save a life. Recently, a fifth grader on the bus had the Heimlich Manuever used on him to save his life by one of our regular drivers. Remember, both First AId and CPR are TEMPORARY MEASURES until EMT arrives. As important to having First Aid and CPR training is the ability for every bus driver and/or assistant to be able to call in by radio, cell phone or by other means directly to EMT for to 9-1-1. Going through a dispatcher in the transportation department may not only be slow but deadly for some children who have hit the wall and their lives are at risk. But most EMT calls to the special needs bus are not really life threatening to the child--they certainly are very scary for the driver and assistant who don't know or aren't sure what is appropriate to do in various health crisis situations that may or may not be covered in First AId or CPR. Here is where the EMT comes in with the expertise and the radio or cell-phone backup to the hospital emergency room to do what is right.

ALso, most all states have a Good Samaritan Law that protects ONLY THOSE DRIVERS AND ASSISTANTS WHO ARE CURRENTLY CERTIFIED BY the American Red Cross, National Safety Council or the American Heart Association. If their certification lapses then parents and the child's attorney can sue--and win! Maintaining certification in these areas is essential to reducing the liability for the driver and assistant. Each Driver and Assistant must also operate only within the are for which they are trained in First Aid or CPR and NOT GO BEYOND IT! Heroics in school bus driver teams makes great media coverage but puts at risk the team, the school district and the child. Don't be a hero but DO be an effective applier of First Aid or CPR as trained and when appropriate.
And get on the phone for EMT help.

One of the greatest liabilities for drivers and assistants is their failure to report the injury--even the most minor ones that are not emergencies--to the school nurse and to parents. They consider that if nothing is said that the injury may not be discovered and they won't be blamed. Wrong. Take the initiative and report to the school nurse and to parents yourself whenever you use First Aid or CPR for a student always.

Dr. Ray Turner
210-614-1395
210-614-1396 FAX
drturner@earthlink.net
www.whitebuffalopress.com

Go to Top of Page

barry brooks

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have no state requirements. However, all of our drivers are trained in CPR, Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI), Seizure, Asthma, Heimlich, Universial Precautions, First Aide, and Contagious diseases. The training is conducted by nurses and certified personnel from our Special Services department. I believe that this training is necessary due to the number of children that we transport that have seizures and severe medical conditions.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2001 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All our drivers must be required to take CPR training! I feel it's great that the driver know this! You never know what mite happen! Plus we had a child on an Indiana school bus that was choking on a quarter and the driver reacted fast and gave him the hymlick (Not sure on the spelling) and saved the childs life! Hats off to this driver!
I think a bus driver must be prepared for any medical training!

Go to Top of Page

busdrivinwoman

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have asked this same question to my transportation director when I became the OBI. The CDL booklet has a whole chapter relating to CPR, chocking victims, shock, etc. But we as drivers do not have to be certified. This scares me. I feel we should be certified and take a refreshers course every year or so. I got my CDL 6 sixs ago and yes I read the chapter relating to CPR. But that does not mean I remember what I read 6 sixs ago in order to pass my written tests. I know we are also covered under the good samaritan law, but I would rather know what I'm doing to safe someone's life than to do something wrong and be covered under that law.

safety is number one, ohio school bus driver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000