Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Parents!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RRasaRR

17 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  3:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If someone would have told me that the parents are more of a pain than the students...I would never had believed it until I became a driver.

I had a situation where the stop was at a "T" intersection. I changed the stop to the opposite side of the street....to be safer for the students to exit, since I would be blocking the street.

Would you believe a Mother made such a stink. She even went to my boss. Of course he questioned me.

Want to hear her complaint...She was upset that she couldn't SEE her daughter exit the bus.

And to think I was looking out for the SAFETY of her child and others....all it takes is ONE idiot driver to cross infront of me and HIT one of these children.

Thank goodness my boss backed me up on this one...Thanks Ron!

Maybe this parent could get OFF her butt and go out to the corner....she could SEE her child exit. I know I did BEFORE I became a driver!!

Rasa

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  4:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you actually mean that some parents can be worse than the kids? If so, I can agree that can be the case.

The wise let parents know about route or stop changes before they are made -- explaining the reasons for the change and a number to call with any concerns.

Not doing this disrespects the parents role in helping to keep kids safe. Even relatively small changes should include a note to the affected parents. This simply acknowledges that parents are included as an important part of the transportation service. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

RRasaRR

17 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  4:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, JK...you are correct. Normally changes are made after parental contact.

But given the situation...Safety came first. The safety of the passenger...the Student.

I do agree with you to. Thanks.

Rasa
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  6:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the fun world of school bus driving! Todays pain in the butt will be Mr. Smith who doesn't like the bus stop near his house since his kids are all grown and gone. Tomorrows "pain" might be Mrs. Brown who panics if her son's bus is more than 3 minutes late. (her son is 16!) The day after that who knows??? LOL!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  8:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH my, you must work for the same city I work for! You haven't seen anything yet. Didn't you know that you work for the parents too and they are also your supervisors? When I drove mainstream (I do spec needs now), the parents were always right. I wrote a kid up once and the asst principal gave me back the referral and said he "had to work with the parent" and suspend him next week because it would be more of a conventient time to take him to school. Parents call in and say their kids missed the bus when in fact, the bus was there on time or even a bit later and they acutally ask the driver to go back to that stop to get them. Drivers here have like two or three runs, an elementary, middle, or high school run. One time a driver did not pick up two girls because they ran back into the house and missed the bus, this was her first run. She then did her second run, then one of the supervisors called her and asked her that after she delivered her second school to go back clear across town and get the two girls and take them to their intermediate school. Parents can be the biggest pain in the butt than the kids can be and they think that because they pay their taxes and pay our salary we have to bow down to them. These transportation departments have to start having some backbone and spine and start clamping down on these kids.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  05:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a driver goes to a stop and no one is there, we have them call in on the two-way radio to verify the time, and keep a log of their call in. If a parent calls with that story we tell them to have their kids their on time! We can't go back to pick up their kid or the driver will be late for their next school, and we tell the parents that. It helps them understand. All but the "worst" will comply after that.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

RRasaRR

17 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  09:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness our boss doesn't make us wait for those late ones. We honk, wait about a minute and go. He backs us up!! He is great. (he also drives, so that help him to understand our frustrations) He has alot of backbone in him.

But there have been occasions I have heard some drivers having to go back....Boo Hiss on those parents....

I just don't get the lates ones though...its not like we are there a different time everyday....ITS THE SAME TIME -- EVERYDAY!!

Rasa
Go to Top of Page

BigDog-4-89

3 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  09:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I always say, you have to train the parent along with the child. Are thing is the knd kids taking them home and the parent not being there, we can't leave the child so we keep him on the bus and call in to let them know that we still have the child and will bring them back at the end of the run or take them back to school, if this is a every day problem, we just start takeing them back to school so the parent has to pick them up. and for the big kid's yes RRasaRR we have the same, can joey be off next week it's better for the parent to take him them to school. But what about the driver and the problem she haveing with joey she want's him off now. That's the point we are the one's that have to put up with it. the babysitting......BigDog 4-89

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter what we drivers do or say, it is NEVER GOING TO RIGHT!!!! All I can say if we were teachers it would be a different story. All they have to do is walk out of a classroom and ask for a security monitor to take them from the room. Zis, Boom Bah!!!
Just remember, the driver is in charge of that big yellow cheese and we are right no matter what the parent says or the President himself says, I don't care. The safety of my children comes over and above what anybody else says. If I have an accident or you have one, guess who's name and pic make to the front page of the newspaper and the TV news. Sooner or later, someone will see the light and realize that we are not second class citizens. I often wonder if that parent would get behind that wheel and do what we do. I absolutely LOVE WHAT I DO AND YOU CANNOT ASK FOR BETTER HOURS OR BETTER DAYS OFF AND THEN HAVE YOUR 10 MONTH PAYCHECK DEFERRED TO A 12 MONTH PAYCHECK. Hey I love just sitting back and collecting that deferred pay I so earnestly earned from September to June. Also, you are not "just a school bus driver" you are also a professional who loves children and believe me, you will get your rewards in the end no matter what the parents think of you. They stopped busing us when I was in 5th grade and my mom was was our "bus driver", she would never have complained a single bit as long as her kids were safely taken to school. I had to walk to school till my senior year, unless I got a ride. I would give my eye teeth to be able to ride on a nice, warm ,dry bus if given the chance. Keep on doing the best you can do and I will pray for you!!!

Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It really is nice to know that things are the same all over.

Our dispatcher tries to send us back after kids a lot. Most of us have caught on that if we state it will make us late the Supervisor will pipe up and we don't have to go back.
I left behind a student one day and the parent called in. I knew I'd been there on time and said as much. The dispatcher came back saying the parent said he could set his watch by the bus. Hehe, didn't have to go back.
I have some parents who try to catch up with the bus. I've had them let their child out of the car behind me while I'm stopped at another stop. I can't believe they would do such a thing at 6:45AM in the dark sometimes. Nothing can scare a person more than having someone knock on the bus door as you're beginning to pull away from a stop. No wonder I'm gray.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/bus/
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

"... I have some parents who try to catch up with the bus. I've had them let their child out of the car behind me while I'm stopped at another stop. I can't believe they would do such a thing at 6:45AM in the dark sometimes. Nothing can scare a person more than having someone knock on the bus door as you're beginning to pull away from a stop. No wonder I'm gray.

Mamaloca,

The reason some parents sent their kids chasing the bus is because they are flat-out ignorant of the danger. The same would never have their child chase a road grader. Education must necessarily include the parents. I can send you a .pdf template that helps with this if you like.(jk)

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our district won't ever make the driver turn around if they were on time, or late. Only if we're really early, we wait. If the parent calls in to complain, they're attitude is, "oh well! Be on time!" However, if it is the driver's fault, they do turn back or you can get another bus. Once, my driver was feeling really sick and she went right past my stop. Now, I was panicking because my father had just gotten a new job and I didn't want him to be late if he had to drive me. Luckily, a special needs bus (loaded) came and picked me up. Then, the two buses met part way at a passing lane (which is never used....the road for it is closed off) where I transfered buses. Quite a day that was!

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  3:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bus never has to turn around and go get a student. They are suppose to be at the stop. One time my road got closed off and we didn't know about it and we thought the bus broke down so I went to school.Well the bus driver dropped them off and then made a specail run to my house but I had already been taken to school with the rest of my stop. Some drivers don't even stop if you not standing out there they fly by some blow the horn while moving if they don't see you or before and if you not out there they're gone. SOme stop and blow.

BlueBird44-"44 Best Bus EVER!"
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  1:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the driver is on time, activates warning lights, stops the bus, looks for students, sees none, then the driver should leave and not return. If it is a special-ed student (door-to door run,) the drivers call in the time and stop location before leaving.

In some cases we do send buses back for students, but only after the ones who were ON TIME are delivered to the school or bus stop. The students we go back for are the ones who would otherwise be home all day without supervision or shelter. Repeat offenders are dealt with by the principal.
In some cases, school is the most positive part of a child's life; anything I can do to get them there will only benefit the child.

Parents must be notified in writing ahead of time of any stop or route changes; this is basic "CYA" and common courtesy.

Like bus drivers, only the bad parents get the attention. There are many parents who I work with on a regular basis that are helpful, responsible and understanding.

I oversee a Transportation Focus Group that consists of parents, administrators and transportation employees. Having parents on this focus group (particularly the difficult ones) helps them to see our side of things and gives them a positive forum to air their grievances. It also places part of the responsibility of fixing any problems on them. As prior posts have alluded to, it is a team effort to transport children safely.

Go to Top of Page

Wagonmaster1490

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2001 :  11:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive a route that is in a rural area. One stop involves me turning from a gravel road, driving 3/4 mile down a paved road, turning into a farmer's driveway to pick up the children, then backing up to return to the road I started on to continue in the same direction. The parent brings the children to the end of a long driveway each day. After seeing what I had to do to pick up the children, these parents started to meet me at the intersection of the gravel and paved roads both in the morning and the afternoon!
This makes for a safer tranfer of the children and it saves me time. Great Parents!

I drive the Blue Bird of Happiness!
Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The reason some parents sent their kids chasing the bus is because they are flat-out ignorant of the danger. The same would never have their child chase a road grader. Education must necessarily include the parents. I can send you a .pdf template that helps with this if you like.(jk)

I would like to see that JK. I have told the kids to tell their parents to try to get to the next stop and why it is not safe to let them out behind me. For the most part they tell their parents and it is taken care of.

You are right though, the parents don't have the information many times explaining why we do things the way we do. Altough I must say our district send out a flyer every year that ussualy doesn't get read.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Larz

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  2:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a district where 1/2 the parents complain that they can't see thier kids get on the bus, so we have make more stops; and the other 1/2 complain that the routes are too long. You can't try to please everyone or you'll make yourself nuts!

Larz
Go to Top of Page

busdrivinwoman

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  09:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have refused to go back and get a child because they have missed the bus. Especially the ones that are late on a day to day basis. I have on file now the rules and regulations in which they state a child is to be at there bus stop ready to go before the driver is due to arrive. When I have a problem with this I print the rules out with a letter to the parent asking for a signature so I know they have read and understand this rule. As far as changing a stop, I get approval for stops I wish to change no matter how big or small. Once approval is given by the director I send out a letter to each parent it will involve. There have been times still when a conflict with a parent arrises. I dropped a kindergarten off at his house one day. Our rule is see an adult home or watch the child go inside the house. Neither of these were the case that day. The child could not get in the house, after me yelling out the window at him to try to open the door, bang on the door, I was blowing my horn, etc. I ended up taking this child back to the garage with me. Before the route was done our secretary was trying to get in touch with a family memeber. When mom finally called in I was parked and had the child in the office with me. Mom tried to say that I did not even drop her child off. She said she seen me drive right by. Only at this stop I also have 5 other kids that get off there too, and they were all at home, because I did make the stop. Sorry for the lenghty story. Point is, no matter what you do to try and make the kids safe there is always going to be someone out there that you can't make happy. That's just the way it is, so we as drivers, unfortuantly, must deal with it.

safety is number one, ohio school bus driver
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  12:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's simply put this way: "You wait for the bus, the bus doesn't wait for you!" Makes sense, don't it?

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  3:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The way it is in our county is if you miss the bus in the morning,too bad.Your parents take you to school or you get to the next school and catch it there.If you ride First Bus Load at my school,and you miss the bus,another driver will call yours and you will get on the appropriate bus at the next elementary school.If you ride second bus load,and you miss the bus,you probably can borrow money from the office to make a pay phone call.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
"As long as there's a method to your madness,it's fine"
Go to Top of Page

debbie ronnie

2 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My route is on a little narrow ridge and you couldn't find a place to turn a 40 ft. bus around in daylight, let alone in the dark. Our rule is; Be at your bus stop 5 minutes before the bus runs or forget it. I have 2 different runs and if I wait on even 1 child it makes me late, plus the other children standing out waiting are in the rain, snow, or just cold. So I tell them to please be on time.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2001 :  3:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago... a parent dropped off a child next to the bus, and the door was closed, then the bus started to move and the wheel hit the childs feet! SO NEVER drop late kids off next to a stopped bus!

Richard Solano... E-mail me: RLS1400@aol.com ... or visit my site: www.schoolbusstop.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000