Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

FCPS makes you pay for the use of it's school buses for trips like that?

OH YES THEY DO HAHA, and they aren't cheap! We tried to take a trip, and if it is not TOTALLY sponsored by the teacher and Director of Student Activities, AND the Principal, they charge a lot more. They do have set fees for the common trips like other high schools, D.C. and so other hot spots

They are CONSTANTLY reminding us to be careful with the mileage on the field trip vouchers. The mileade you put on the voucher is to be ONLY when students are aboard.....not to and from the pick-up point....or if you go anywhere during the trip (like to eat, etc), DO NOT include that mileage either.

I guess they charge by the mile! LOL
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  4:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They do give some nice deals, like if we do take a trip that doesn't really relate to the subject, like going to D.C. to go to the zoo for a Math class and so on. Sometimes we just like to take fun trips at the end of the year... Anyway, for trips like these they usually ask each student to pay $5... not that bad, but if the school sponsors it, the PTA or boosters (or whatever) pay for the trip. BUT if an after school club wants to take a trip, we are ON OUR OWN, unless we can get the activity bus to take us, but that takes a LOT of convincing.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  02:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the nice thing about using FCPS buses was there was no charge. Guess I was wrong on that.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  12:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, last year I priceed it out, It was actually cheaper to ride Williams bus Lines down to D.C. than it was for FCPS. This was for a club trip

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  08:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How far will WBL take you? Any limits on distance?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  1:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe Williams took my Synogogue on a trip a few years back from Reston to a museum in Maryland, not sure, but I think it was them.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  1:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that Special ed Blue Bird a Falls Vhurch bus, or a Fairfax bus, looks juts like one of ours. Actually I know those were your guy's Thomas ER's and IC RE's, but they sure look identical to ours. Our dirstricts have common taste in buses haha

Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  6:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man several of our brand new C2's have been in the shop already 9 weeks into the year....one of them, bus 80 has spent 3 weeks in the shop already, most have averaged about a week in the shop though. When their in the shop the drivers get to enjoy one of our lovely 1988/89 thomas ford b600's that are capped to 45mph!!!!! our 1999-2005 FS-65's have done fine and only one of those have made its way to the shop, and it was a 2000 model with a Cummins, which is the year and engine of my bus, but i am on the list for the next 05 FS to open up, because those are un-governed with Benz engines and Air doors

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the 65 m.p.h. for Virginia school buses on interstates will be re introduced this year for a vote before the general assembly? I notice many rural highways have been allowed to do 60m.p.h. which is great in some places. I haven't heard much on the issue thought maybe someone might have heard.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  5:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mtirv, how many buses are there total in Falls Church fleet?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  6:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to their website http://www.fccps.k12.va.us/quickfacts.htm they have 16 buses so there must be a gap or two in there because I know they have a bus 18 as well which is an IC RE identicle to ours

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  4:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Falls Church City bus 10 is a mid to late 90s Thomas International.

=
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  07:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
mtirv I used to live in fcps, then I moved to loudoun county, the hdx's in loudoun are reliable, engines that loudoun got is cats and mercedez benz.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  06:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have noticed more Virginia school buses with the rear stop sign. I hope the Virginia State Board of Education approves them on all Virginia school buses. I would also like to see them allow the markings STOP STATE LAW put back on the rear of the bus. Anything that would help save the life of a child would be great. People today are in such a big hurry they sometimes do not even realize we are out there.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The real stop arm idea sounds cool. One thing I think would also help would be TV ads telling people when to stop and what could happen if you don't stop. Most people don't know the laws. I asked my family and friends if they knew when to stop and what punishments you could get for not stopping and 90% of them didn't have a clue.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  6:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does DMV still always include a question about a school bus on the road in traffic on its written test for new drivers. I know at one time I believe there was always a question about regulations regarding when to stop for a school bus .

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my regular bus and late bus, most of the violators are coming from behind. My opinion on the dual stop arms comes mainly from personal experiences and observations I've made.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  2:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think what mtirv doesn't see is that most of our stops (when possible) have the bus pull to the far right lane or turn lane, and that leaves room to the left of the bus for cars to pass

Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dual stop arms are required on new 64-passenger and larger school buses on future bus purchases in the state of Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  7:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
722- when did that requirement come into effect it seems to be a different opinion around here about those things being approved although i hope they are.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  7:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were to order a Virginia spec school bus tomorrow and it was 64-passengers or more it would have to have dual stop signs. All new buses will also have a non-sequel warning light system. These are spec changes for the 2007-2008 Virginia school bus specs.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  9:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
none of our buses are supposed to have them, but some of them do anyway. Loudoun has a few buses that Have the RE300 logo next to the door and the IC badge on the rear bumper, sometimes they seemed to be overlooked. I know we had at least one or two come in with the badge next to the door in the past. I know of an AmTran RE or two near me that still have a badge next to the door that says "Chassis by International" or something like that

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  9:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Arlington County's ICs have both the logos near the door, and the logos on the rear bumber.

=
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  07:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexandria City Schools has the logo near the door and the rear bumper logo. I know the logo painted above the driver's window and the entrance door is NOT allowed what so ever. I guess VA is lettting things slide a little if they aren't having the small logo by the door and the rear bumper logo removed.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  07:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw one of our Thomas ERs the other day that did NOT have the mud flaps reversed.
You could read the word "Thomas"....for shame! I bet somebody just overlooked it...or didn't know any better.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  08:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC, yeah I know we have a few here and there like that, whenever I see them, it annoys me a little because AmTran doesn't advertise of the rear.... why in the HEL* should Thomas get to..... oh wait, I know, we love those buses so much we want everyone to feel the pain we do LOL... (jk thomas fans)

Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bumper logos, by state guidelines they are not supposed to be on there (A heat gun will quickly remove them on a warm day).

The roof decal is a big no, no and I remember Fairfax receiving a few Wards (IC/Amtrans) with the decal in place on the roof and (Kessler Bus Sales of Maryland (there was not a VA dealer until the early to mid 90's) removing them from the buses before putting them on the road (I remember a few also having the chrome Navistar grills being exchanges for solid yellow, too. Usually these items are removed by the dealer or the shop during service if they were left on.

Of course the roof decal that was the best known was Blue Bird with the stripe behind the bird.

Virginia used to be much stricter, as interior panels were specially made because the manufactures embossed their logos on certain parts and VA would not permit logos in step wells, first aid kits, seat backs, barrier panels etc...

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  11:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is VA so anti logo?
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  3:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My guess (simply a theory) is that Virginia wants to delete anything "interesting" from the body of a school bus that is not related to the safety of the kids. Logos not only add distinction between competitors (advertising), but they also provide something else for drivers to look on a school bus, instead of looking at the warning lights, kids crossing the street, etc. It's as if they are boring the drivers on the road, so that 100% of their attention is on the safety of the kids. BTW, by drivers, I mean people in cars.

=
Go to Top of Page

disneynuts
Advanced Member

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  3:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit disneynuts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if 722 remembers, the state "does not want to confuse the motoring public" with any type of logos or ads
Go to Top of Page

sbdlax22

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbdlax22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is a non-sequel warning light system which is now required? I also feel that the dual stop sign is a great idea - if you are behind the bus you can not always see the front stop sign. While the red flashing lights require you to stop, I would think most people associate stopping for a school bus with the actual 'STOP' wording on the stop sign.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  4:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sequential Warning Light System - Currently in Virginia, the light system is wired in the following way. You activate the system by pressing a button, which activates the ambers if the door is closed. Once the door is opened, the reds/stop arm/crossing arm are engaged and the ambers shut off automatically. When the door is closed, the warning light system is shut off. Should the system be activated while the door is opened, the system bypasses the amber lights, and immediately turns to the reds/stop arm/crossing arm. Again, the system is turned off when the door is closed automatically.

Non-sequential warning light system - Starting this year apparently, warning light systems in Virginia will be wired the following way: The warning system is not going to be wired to the door in any way. There will be a switch to activate the amber lights, and a switch to activate the red/stop arm/crossing gate. This way, one could activate the entire warning light system without opening the service door.

=
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  5:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 2002-present buses can activate the reds without opening the door. You activate the amber lights, then flip the door switch to "WRN LIGHTS". The door switch is a 3-point toggle. From top to bottom, you have the following 3 positions: Door Open, Warning Lights, and Door Close.
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  6:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

Sequential Warning Light System - Currently in Virginia, the light system is wired in the following way. You activate the system by pressing a button, which activates the ambers if the door is closed. Once the door is opened, the reds/stop arm/crossing arm are engaged and the ambers shut off automatically. When the door is closed, the warning light system is shut off. Should the system be activated while the door is opened, the system bypasses the amber lights, and immediately turns to the reds/stop arm/crossing arm. Again, the system is turned off when the door is closed automatically.

Non-sequential warning light system - Starting this year apparently, warning light systems in Virginia will be wired the following way: The warning system is not going to be wired to the door in any way. There will be a switch to activate the amber lights, and a switch to activate the red/stop arm/crossing gate. This way, one could activate the entire warning light system without opening the service door.

First, thanks Disneynuts, you and BusFreak are on the money. This is one reason that STOP STATE LAW was removed from the buses, although I believe it should be put back on. Virginia Beach has polited the lettering, and I would like to see it return.

The non-sequential warning light system will active the "RED" warning lights when the driver opens the door regardless if the driver has actived the "AMBER" warning light system.

I have yet to see propossed operating system, but I understand that the C2's can be programmed to do this already. There is a current bill in the state to mandate this on the school buses and bill currently does not a provision for the driver (or shop) to de-activate the red warning lights. (we got to work this one out)

We could be looking at something as simple as a three point door switch on air doors, with OFF, RED DOOR CLOSED, RED DOOR OPEN with a separate Master cut-off switch. (this is my ideal) If the driver forgets to active the "AMBER" when they move the door switch to the first position the "RED" lights come on.

Currently there is a three point door switch offer as an option on the Thomas HDX & C2 (I would assume that Amtrans/IC & Blue Bird would offer the same option) and I notice that several drivers with this swich active thier "AMBER" switch and once they stop, they move the switch to the middle position activating the "RED" warning lights, stop signs and crossing contol arm, but the door remains closed until they are sure that all traffic has stopped. Then they move it to the door open position in which the "RED" warning lights stay on and the door opens.

But we will have to watch and see what the bus companies come up with, and what systems are finally approved. Nothing in stone, yet...

BusFreak, you got the current system down pack, I think you are on the right track for the new system. It will be something close, but it will be tied into the operation of the door.

Edited by - 722 on 01/20/2007 6:17:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  1:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Would like an idea as to how other systems run the basic to school and home stagger for schools ours is a High school , Elem. A, Elem. B, and the ever popular Middle School for most of drivers that is the basic to and from school routine . Just curious as to what other systems staggering openings are like. I understand how it works just wanting to see how much other systems expect from their drivers.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000