Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  2:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here most regular ed drivers that I know either do High Sch, Mid Sch, Elem Sch, or they do High Sch, Elem Sch A, Elem Sch B.
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  2:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that you should still have to activate the ambers. There are still times when I want to open the door without lights on. I already have the 3 position switches on all of ours. Thats the BOMB! I love it in the cold mornings, with kids crossing, and then waiting for them to get seated! But, like I said, the ambers should have to be activated first.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  4:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
IC RE 1629-- so Fairfax drivers basic number or routes is 3. ( i know it isnt there whole day).Thanks maybe others will response to.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bsaund09

IC RE 1629-- so Fairfax drivers basic number or routes is 3. ( i know it isnt there whole day).Thanks maybe others will response to.

The basic number is 3...but that is am & pm, so that's a total of 6 a day. But many drivers also do a mid-day shuttle, a K-run, and/or a pm late run. If you want to do more, just listen to the radio....they constantly open-air requests for garage trips, transporting drivers here and there....and all kinds of "go-fer" stuff....the other day I took the big boss' Jeep and filled it up with gas! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  10:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, y'all know everything about buses! We received a batch of International's last school year that had a big "I" sticker on the back bumper, I don't like it. The second and third batch of Internationals don't have that (mine included)!

I drive high school, middle and two elementary runs.

Most smiles are started by another smile...
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  1:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lena, what district are you in?
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  2:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing she is in Stafford County, who by the way has AWESOME looking IC RE Activity buses. They sound like they have the 365 though, which I'm sure we all feel the same way about.

=
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  2:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, the good old "Virginia Penny Pinchin' VT365" gotta love them haha!

Welcome Lena, I am a student over here in Fairfax County, you guys have some real nice Thomas HDX buses, and I hear you have some nice IC CEs!!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good guess....Stafford! I got my CE 200 International (I only know that 'cause I see that when I scrub it) in January 2006...lol....but mine has actually been a good one so far, knock on wood. Some have been L-E-M-O-N-S...I love it (dearly)...but it can't pull a hill for nothing when I am loaded, unless I seriously get some speed going ... I am actually waiting for a deputy to be sitting in one certain spot and I will just have to explain the situation to him. If I don't floor it when I am almost at the bottom I know there is no way I will make it up the hill, just aint happening!!

We have 5 activity buses...I have driven them...they also don't have enough power for what they are were purchased for. We just started this "trip driver" thing with these activity buses and they have no power whatsoever. No thank you. Plus they are a transit, which I drove for eight years and after seeing one accident in Stafford and the one in Arlington...I was glad to get out of that windshield.

What are HDX buses? I am not as knowledgeable as y'all when it comes to all this info but I do know that International is what's been purchased. Do you mean the special needs buses with the AC? They went all out for that!!

Oh...and thank you for the welcome! IC RE 1629..you must be a real special student to be that interested in the buses!! That's pretty neat! I have an Aunt that's been driving for 25 or so years in Vienna...

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  6:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HEYYY!! Vienna, my school is Vienna HOW cool, do you know any details, I may know of her!!!?

Your HDX buses are the Thomas Transit units with the Funny looking mirrors in front.

We have International REs that came in spring of 2005 with the same engine that your bus has and we got over 100 of them, and nearly all of them have gone out for service and been out for months at a time.

This year we got our New Internationals with way better engines, the DT466. You're lucky yours is still good!

Let me know some details about your aunt, I may see her everyday, heck, she may be my driver lol

By the way, I am IC-RE, icre1629 is another student here in Fairfax but from another part

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.

Edited by - IC-RE on 01/29/2007 6:48:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  6:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am new to this forum and don't want to give too much info, but her name is Jackie and she is very sweet...I know she loves her job...I don't know what schools she drives out of because we never really talk about that, perhaps we should. But she definitely lives in Vienna, you probably know her! I will make it a point to call and ask what schools she drives out of.

oh, and yea, those white buses...good golly you really know your stuff...I can't imagine any of my high school kids knowing all this!! That is pretty neat

Edited by - Lena on 01/29/2007 7:00:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha.... too much time on my hands lol?

Yeah, I totally understand about not releasing info out on the forum, I am the same way, I try to stay private. Does she drive for FCPS, or does she just live in Vienna and drive somewhere else? Just curious. I don't think I know of anyone by Jackie, but hey, we call most drivers Mr/Mrs. last name.

Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is that it...too much time on your hands?? A teenager!

She lives in Vienna and she drives for Fairfax County....actually more than 25 years now. Her name is Jackie Hull...I will call her tomorrow and ask her what schools she drives out of....

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belated welcome to Lena! Wow, another Virginia driver....Richard and Co. will have a stroke! LOL

I'm a reg-ed FCPS driver of a '99 AmTran RE. Retired from US Gubmint and LOVING my new career!

Okay, Lena, you got a pen? We're going to need a complete roster of SCPS buses, Reg-Ed, SE, and Activity (please include capacity, engines, trannies, etc). Then we'll need interior and exterior pics of all buses posted on a WebShots or similar page.*

*Just kidding!
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHAT???? I have homework???

OMG too funny....thank you for the welcome. And you know, I can do that, really, but you gotta give me a few weeks!! At least two, anyway!! y'all are funny! Typical men...into all that engine stuff!

Edited by - Lena on 01/29/2007 7:23:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I do all the normal high school stuff, I am in clubs, I run, I go to the gym, I have an after school job, I spend money like it grows on trees LOL, you name it, I do it.

I guess I have just been interested in the cheese wagon since I was in Kindergarten, and my friends dad is a driver so it keeps me interested. There is just something that seems so cool about driving a vehicle that big... btw I love to drive!

Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is really cute...and I don't mean that in a funny way. My best friend has been driving since high school and he knows EVERYTHING about buses too and is always teasing me that I don't have that "deep" interest...He's always quizzing me...it's funny. We participate in Roadeos every year and all that...I have gotten better, I can recognize a Ford from a Chevy from an International from a Freightliner. And, trust me, that means something!! I am getting there!

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  7:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, good start. I basically learned a lot from observing our own FCPS buses, and until a few years ago, I thought all buses looked the same, but this forum totally taught me otherwise LOL

Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  1:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What other school systems fuel at commerical gas stations on a regular basis? we have been doing it for a few years now.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  5:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC-RE....that's impressive! I have a feeling I will be gaining some knowledge.

Oh yea, do you know who my Aunt is?

We fuel at commerical gas stations, through Watchcard, all over the state in case we are on a field trip.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  6:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are! Hey at least you know what type of bus you drive haha!

I actually don't think I know your Aunt, she May drive for Madison High in Vienna, and I go to Oakton High in Vienna. If I had her bus number I would probably know

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  05:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have heard of your Aunt, Lena. Back in the 90s, she drove one of the first Rear Engine transit buses the county had, a 94 Thomas ER. I want to say she was in 1393 or something. She was another hard cor Thomas lover (oh no, not that) who wouldnt give that bus up untill it was a spit away from being made a spare. She, along with a few others with the same type of bus, finally upgraded in 03 to an AC equipt IC RE. I think she almost immediately upgraded to an 04 after that, which she is still in. She is in something in the 1600s now. Ive heard many great things about Jackie, but I've never met her.

=
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I do remember when she told me she got AC...I will call her this weekend and get her number and what schools....She is a sweetheart and I know she loves her job.

IC-RE, I am definitely learning...yesterday at the shop I found myself actually looking at all the numbers on the hood!! I am paying attention!

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait a moment....Did she drive 1396 per chance?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  1:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No that is a different driver, that driver is in 928, an 03 IC RE

Well, if I find out the number I am sure I will know who she is. I Recognize that last name, Hull.... hmm, I may know her

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The part BusFreak mentioned about a Thomas lover, drove 1393 or something like that, and wouldn't give it up, sounds alot like 1396 to me.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no busfreak knows a lot about 1396, he would know!

they are both spares now

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I am not sure if we are near them, I haven't heard of them, but cool the New Vision is coming to VA! What types of specs di they have

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The part BusFreak mentioned about a Thomas lover, drove 1393 or something like that, and wouldn't give it up, sounds alot like 1396 to me.

Yup, Saundra (1396) did NOT want to give up her Thomas for anything.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No..She's not 1396...That's Sandra, but they do drive out of many of the same schools. Again, it's not just one driver that loved the Thomas buses..Most of the drivers who liked the 94s had the Straightup Diesels, not the CNG, or the Diesel/CNGs. Jackie parks her bus at Thorough (spelling?) Middle school. Its one of maybe two regular ed buses parked up there. Check it out!

=
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I grew up in Virginia Beach, which is right next door to Chesapeake. For the longest time, they were all Thomas ERs for regular ed. Infact, I'm pretty sure they were that way through all of the 90s and into the early 00s. I'm sure their visions are spected well. They have always had nice buses down there. Brian (bsaund09) would know more about them.

=
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  3:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC look at the map darling:) you're at the top of VA and chesepeake is at the southeast corner (hampton roadz)

Bluebird- yes i see them coming to you, i passed about 6 of them the other day, i was on my way to Lynchburg Virginia. You have the (in my opinion) the better looking vision. I'm surprised that out of all the school divisions in the hampton roads area, Chesepeake and James city/ Williamsburg schools are the only districts that are remaining Thomas free! Bluebird do you know when Chesepeke will be getting rid of the remaing thomas fords and amtran ford "yall" have?

Question (for those of you who live in that area)

When did Princess Anne County become Virginia Beach city schools? also when did Nasemond county become Suffolk city schools. I remember seeing a bus that had both on there along time ago, when did it change?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  3:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

No..She's not 1396...That's Sandra, but they do drive out of many of the same schools. Again, it's not just one driver that loved the Thomas buses..Most of the drivers who liked the 94s had the Straightup Diesels, not the CNG, or the Diesel/CNGs. Jackie parks her bus at Thorough (spelling?) Middle school. Its one of maybe two regular ed buses parked up there. Check it out!

I was told once that they almost threatend to fire her for not giving up 1396. Any truth to that?

Also, my driver had 1396 last week as a spare bus. Compared to rest of the 94' Thomas ER's we have, it was in pretty good shape and drove pretty nice.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  4:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

I was told once that they almost threatend to fire her for not giving up 1396. Any truth to that?

No truth. Lots of drivers turn down upgrades...and some even turn down a new bus. Unless they're surveying it, you can keep it. The drivers behind them (in seniority) LOVE when this happens! LOL

I know a lady with over 30 years...they surveyed her '88 GMC (she got it new) last summer...so they gave her a '89 Ford for this year. She says, "When it goes, I go".

If it weren't for the balky (in cold weather) service door on my '99...I think I would turn down all upgrades except a new bus....and even then if they are buying HDXs at that point. My bus runs and looks great, and is VERY dependable...but that ******* door gives me FITS on cold mornings! Our fine mechanics say, "duhhh, some of 'em are like that.".

Oh Okay, thanks..
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  5:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK..Jackie was on 1392, and then took 921 in 2003. Now, she is in a bus in the 1600s. I bet she got rid of the 03 for capacity problems, as they were only 72 pax with the head start seating.

=
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000