Question about Emergency Exits.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Today I got a 2004 Thomas Freightliner for a spare.(Very nice bus I gotta' say!) When I went to open a window, I noticed that the ones for the Emergency Exits only open about half way. What is the reason for this? (And in case you need to know I live in Florida)

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  6:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't think my answer is correct, but maybe so passengers don't try to escape from the smaller opening. Never know what happens after an accident and the panic that happens. I'm not really sure why it's like that, I'll keep watching to find out also.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first guess (and it's only a guess) would be the fact that since the entire window pushes out, the frame has to be larger to accomodate latches, hinges etc. This would use additional space in the existing, same sized opening in the side of the body, restricting the amount of travel space available.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  1:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming that you're talking about the glass sliding up and down... My guess is that this bus had windows that were stocked in the factory installed in it, and perhaps these windows were those that had the stoppers in the window sliders, normally for states like New York (and I think Illinois too). I know of some buses in the area that have mismatched windows (the exit ones are different than the rest), probably because they don't get used up nearly as quickly as normal windows and therefor any design changes, or changes made for a few buses that were being produced taht day, would take longer to phase out of the pile. In our 1996 Thomas Fords, the emergency exit windows have the "old fashioned" style latches, while the normal windows have the latest style. I've also noticed that a neighboring district's newest Thomases have exit windows that aren't tinted like the rest. I can't imagine why they would specicify something like that, esspecially since replacements cost the same, so my guess is that's what was available at the factory. I've never been one to get upset about little quirks like this in the windows... It gives the bus character. I esspecially like that Thomas always made sure it was consistent through those buses.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000