Stop Signs and Medians
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  9:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What are your local laws on stopping with signs out and flashing when oncoming traffic has a median, dividing it from your traffic flow?

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  9:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New York requires all traffic to stop, even on roads divided by a median.

I'd prefer the law to be changed to just have traffic stop on the side of the bus, on roads with medians, since the majority of cars don't stop on the opposite side anyway!

Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  9:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the road has an obvious median in Oregon, such as a concrete block etc, then only the side of the road with the bus must stop. If the road has no median (just a four or five lane highway with no separation) then ALL traffic must stop.

And if traffic DOESN'T STOP when required, guess what Count wants to do to them?!

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  04:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same as Oregon in Minnesota. Because of this, all districts with which I am familiar design routes so that students never have to cross a divided roadway.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  06:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In Tennessee, only traffic on the side with the bus has to stop.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  1:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio's law: On a road that is divided into 4 or more lanes, only traffic traveling in the direction of the bus must stop. I found out, though, that it doesn't matter whether or not there's a median or "physical barrier." 2 or 3 lanes--ALL traffic must stop. 4 or more lanes--only traffic traveling with the bus must stop.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  6:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Virginia, we only have to stop on the side of the bus if there is divided highway.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  8:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1983WardFord

Ohio's law: On a road that is divided into 4 or more lanes, only traffic traveling in the direction of the bus must stop. I found out, though, that it doesn't matter whether or not there's a median or "physical barrier." 2 or 3 lanes--ALL traffic must stop. 4 or more lanes--only traffic traveling with the bus must stop.

Illinois is the same

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Rockstar97

147 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ontario - all traffic stops in both directions UNLESS there is a median - then just the traffic on the bus side. But there is a consistent effort to NEVER designate a bus stop where a student has to cross a median.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  6:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please Please PLEASE don't make students cross a median to get to their bus stop.....that's one way children get killed
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In South Carolina, the law was changed 2 year ago concerning multi-lane highways. If the road is divided by a raised grass or concrete median - or if you are on a multi-lane highway, opposing traffic does not have to stop. We NEVER cross children on multi-lane highways or median highways.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000