Does any body knows who owns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2001bluebird

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know who owns these companies. I've heard that CAT is owned by General Motors and that cummins is own by ford. Hey maybe that is why our TCs are terrible (they had Cummins)

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2001bluebird

Does anybody know who owns these companies. I've heard that CAT is owned by General Motors and that cummins is own by ford. Hey maybe that is why our TCs are terrible (they had Cummins)

Ummmm...all I know about this is Cummins is owned by Daimler Chrysler (not sure of that) and CAT is not owned by General Motors, General Motors owns Detroit Diesel.
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little backwards there.

Detroit Diesel is a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler.

Cummins is, well, Cummins.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I dont believe either one is owned by any one

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, Robert. Cummins is local industry here in Columbus.

More information about Cummins . . .

More information about Caterpillar . . .
Go to Top of Page

informtnBus

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caterpillar is a public company (NYSE: CAT). They are completely stand-alone. HQ'd in Peoria, IL.

Cummins is also a public company (NYSE: CMI, which is a recent change. They are HQ'd in Columbus, IN. They have a contractural relationship with Daimler-Chrysler to provide diesel engines for use in some Dodge Ram truck configurations.

Detroit Diesel is owned by Daimler-Chrysler. It is operated in the DC Commercial Vehicles Division along with the Freightliner Group.

International Truck & Engine is a public company (NYSE: NAV). They have a contractural arrangement with Ford to supply the "Power-Stroke" diesel which is basically the VT-365. They have just inked a deal to partner with German truck and bus manufacturer MAN AG to develop engines and eventually to share some production arrangements.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  4:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buskid

A little backwards there.

Detroit Diesel is a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler.

Cummins is, well, Cummins.

Well, I dont know my engines much, so yeah

quote:
Caterpillar is a public company (NYSE: CAT). They are completely stand-alone. HQ'd in Peoria, IL.

Yeah! Go Peoria! lol
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  5:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now at one time wasnt Detroit owned by GM

Robert
Go to Top of Page

informtnBus

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe that is correct. However, prior to Daimler's ownership, Roger Penske owned DDC.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  6:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, GM owned Detroit Diesel originally. I have a pair of
8V-71N's (manufactured in 1968) in my boat and they have GM markings all over em. They used to call em Jimmy diesels. That 2-stroke diesel sound still thrills me every time I light em!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  9:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that Cummins was owned by Daimler Chrysler, but now I know that they just have a contract with them.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000