Rare buses...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  6:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many of ya noticed all of the rare buses I take photo's of? Rare buses are poping up everywhere in KY! I saw a Superior Pioneer painter different colors the other day, I saw a late 1970's International Carpenter at a local autoshop junkyard. I've also seen 3 other Superiors. I saw a Wayne LifeStar the other day (first time I saw one in person) also, the 1939 Blue Bird Chevy on Yellow and Retired witch I took, that is very rare, especially in 2004!!!! The other day I sa a 1940's? Blue Bird and Carpenter, but they were put to death early on this year. The 1970's Chevy Ward Mini-bus by my house was sold. A lot of rare buses come to kentucky, but are going bye bye now. I see about 3 1992 Ward Senator's on my way to school, and I ride one out of the 100 of them they have in Louisville. I also see a 1970's Superior type d on the way to this cave along with a very very old 1910? bus. How many of ya' witnessed a rare bus in person? Also, if anyone ever gets a chance, their are a ton of old 1970 Carpenter Fords and Ward Ford in and by Mitchell, IN if anyone needs photos.

-Jake

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  6:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've saw a few rare buses, a few of them are a Freightliner Blue Bird (I see these all the time though in a town nearby me) a Ford Amtran, and a TC/1000
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  6:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To sum it all up, here is what I see in Kentucky and Indiana:
1992 Ward Senator FE's
1970's Superior type d
1970's international Carpenter
1970's Superior Pioneer
1970's Chevy Ward Mini-bus
1939 Chevy Blue-Bird
1990's Wayne Lifestar
2003 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDX (rare in Louisville)
1940's Blue-Bird and carpenter
1980's GMC Blue-Bird w/ transit windows
1980's International Wards with handicap doors
1986 International Thomas
early 1980's International Wayne w/ white roof and white flashers on top.
1970's Loadstar Superior
1970's Ford Wards (2)
1970/1980 International Superior's

That is a breif list of what I've seen in the past year.
-Jake

hey Cody:
My didtrict owns 2 Ford AmTrans and a ton of short Freightliner Blue-Birds.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!

Edited by - Jake on 02/12/2005 6:24:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the topic of Indiana, there's a couple interesting school buses in the area that I've seen.

There's a later-1950s vintage Wayne Dodge in Macy. There's also a 1970s vintage Thomas Ford in the same place.

There's a Blue Bird International running around north of Lafayette with the transit-style windows.

The school district that I grew-up in bought Wayne LifeStars in 1988, although they're getting harder to find.

There's also another school district in the Indianapolis-area that has a large fleet of Blue Bird Freightliners; Westfield Washington Schools in Westfield also has one lone Blue Bird Freightliner.

There are a number of Blue Bird TC/1000s in Bartholomew and Shelby Counties.

There's a church/school near Brownsburg that still runs a fleet of late-1970s and early-1980s Carpenter Chevrolets, Carpenter Fords, Ward Chevrolets, Ward Fords and possibly a Wayne Ford (if I'm remembering correctly). That's probably one of the most interesting bus yards I've walked through here!

And, of course, there's always the occasional Superior Ford sitting behind a church. There's actually one sitting along State Road 32 before Lebanon, if anyone's looking!

Anyway, I would have to look through my pictures to refresh my memory of what else I have found in the past years. When I lived in California, I saw many interesting school buses, but I'll save that for another time.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to goto Indiana more often! Lots of rare buses. The other day, I saw that 1970's Ford Ward in the woods (as seen on Yellow and Retired's site) Near Louisville, their is a school/ church company that still runs a lot of 1980 and early 1970 International Buses. Hey buskid, ever been to Square Boone Caverns in Indiana? On a outskit road, their is that Superior type D, two Carpenter, a 1970 carpenter with no engine, and a 1910? school bus striped of a engine. In Mitchell, their is a junkyard with many rare buses. I can go on and on with all of the buses I see their.
-Jake

Edited by - Jake on 02/12/2005 7:27:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 92WardSenatorFE

I need to goto Indiana more often! Lots of rare buses. The other day, I saw that 1970's Ford Ward in the woods (as seen on Yellow and Retired's site) Near Louisville, their is a school/ church company that still runs a lot of 1980 and early 1970 International Buses. Hey buskid, ever been to Square Boone Caverns in Indiana? On a outskit road, their is that Superior type D, two Carpenter, a 1970 carpenter with no engine, and a 1910? school bus striped of a engine. In Mitchell, their is a junkyard with many rare buses. I can go on and on with all of the buses I see their.
-Jake

Hi Jake,

No, I haven't been to the Square Boon Caverns. Where exactly are they located?

I forgot to mention that Bus-Mart in Daleville used to have an interesting collection in the fenced-in portion of their lot. There was (I'm not sure if it's still there) a rear-engine Superior back there along with a Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER that had been used as a crash-test vehicle. Ouch!

If you ever want to know where there are some different school buses to see in Indiana, just let me know. I'm in Bartholomew County, just about 68 miles from the border of Kentucky.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.squireboonecaverns.com/
I ment Squire Boone Caverns. They are located in Corydon, IN ( I may have mispelled that)Hey, BusKid, if you want, can you give me a list of where everything is in Indiana that is cool. Email to: Winxme@wmconnect.com
I thank you for sharing all of that info. I will try to go up their sometime this Spring Break.
-Jake
Hey, if you want it, i can email you a list of interesting buses in Kentucky (mostly Louisville). Some of them are the 1996 Ford Carpenters in the area, and some pretty old buses.

Edited by - Jake on 02/12/2005 7:47:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 92WardSenatorFE

http://www.squireboonecaverns.com/
I ment Squire Boone Caverns. They are located in Corydon, IN ( I may have mispelled that)Hey, BusKid, if you want, can you give me a list of where everything is in Indiana that is cool. Email to: Winxme@wmconnect.com
I thank you for sharing all of that info. I will try to go up their sometime this Spring Break.
-Jake

Oh! Okay. I know exactly where that town is.

Give me a couple days; I'm out-of-town right now. When I get back home, I'll go through my photo albums and make some notes for you along with directions.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK. Anytime. i'll start working on that KY list for you. I am not really good at locations, but anyway. In Louisville, KY near the downtown area of I-65 their are some 1970's? GMC Carpneter's in a junkyard. Also in French Lick their is a 1990's or 2000 Model Thomas mini-bus. By Corydon, their is also a used? school bus dealership I think. I seen a 1991 Ward Senator and about 10 other buses their. I believe that is a renatal place though. If I am correct, near Orange county IN their is a place with roofless buses, like IHC Thomases, and International Waynes, and everything to transport lawn equipment in those buses. Well, when ever you get a chance, you can email the bus list to me.
-Jake
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen an Oneida School Bus Body? They were manufactured in Upstate NY many years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  8:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Farr

Has anyone seen an Oneida School Bus Body? They were manufactured in Upstate NY many years ago.

Yes, John.

There's actually one (or was one) that was mounted on a White Chassis sitting in a storage yard just outside of Hesperia.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  8:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An Oneida in California? Wow, that's quite a distance from where it was built.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000