Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Use of Overheads in Designated Loading Zones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Whiskers

92 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some time ago there was a thread discussing different opinions/ideas/laws on the use of overhead warning lights in designated loading zones on school grounds or at curbside. This all came to light following the huge lawsuit settlement in CA, whereafter CA enacted a new law on the subject. Seems like PA and IN did something too. Since other states could have followed this subject and changed laws as well, I would like to hear the current thinking and pending or considered legislation on this. Hearing other systems/states policies on this subject would be useful as well. I need to gather all the information I can on this subject.

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  4:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of our drivers have to activate their warning lights when un-loading in the desingnated loading zones in front of the schools. I can't see why, only bus traffic is allow there. I live in PA, and I don't know if it's a law

"This post is deducated to my OLD bus #39. A 1997 GMC Blue Bird. New bus: 2001 Blue Bird All American FE #215."
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2001 :  06:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florida law requires the red lights to be on and stop signs deployed when loading/unloading students.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Whiskers

92 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2001 :  1:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addendum: Under Tennessee law, drivers are NOT required to stop for overhead warning lights when the bus is parked in a designated loading zone on school grounds. The Dept. of Safety has stated that school buses should NOT use overheads in those zones. However, unlike some states, there is no law regarding this specific instance. The problem is.... we've got some who activate their lights....and some who do not, and both groups refuse to change....and supervision will NOT put a policy in writing, because they are so paranoid about liability issues.
If one studies the California accident which brought about their law....and the multi-million dollar lawsuit...I think there is to be found very compelling evidence for the case of NOT using overheads in such zones. Their findings include: 1. Use of the lights in such areas desensitizes drivers. 2. The lights distract other bus drivers. 3. The lights can give a false sense of security to pedestrians (especially in states where it is not unlawful to pass a bus with lights activated when parked in a designated loading zone.) There are undoubtedly other reasons, both pro and con.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000