Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 parking bus at home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2001 :  08:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this issued has been addressed in the past. I going into my fourth contract of driving and have been parking my bus along the side of my property since my sub year which stretches my time out to almost five years.

I live at the entrance to a cul-de-sac and park it in the "neck" that runs along the side of our property. All summer while the bus was not there my neighbors TWO HOUSES behind me have been parking their pickups along where the back or front of the bus would be depending on how I decided to park it on a given day. The other day while my neighbor was at work with her work truck that she parks where my bus goes, I went out and moved my bus down where it used to be. These people own four vehicles, they made their driveway larger and can fit all four of them in it and yet they unsist on parking two of them where my bus should go. Last night when she drove in she saw she could not have the spot where she was and my husband went over and asked kindly if she could please not park there and she said "No I am not moving it because the bus is an eyesore. I went in to call transportation and no one was there so when I go in for my route sheet for my spec needs run I have no other choice but to say something to the supervisor. I went out and took pictures and took a picture of their house to how far away they are parking from their house. In almost five years, no one has breathed a word to me about this. But my understanding is, if it is posing a safety issue, or not blocking traffic and it is along my property line, it is perfectly okay. I leave before 630 in the morning because most of my students live outside the school area I live in. I don't park my car in front of their We own three cars,(myself, husband and daughter). And soon my husband will have his work car for his business. We have enough space in our driveway for two and park our remaining vehicles on the street and never in front of someone else's house. This is totally ludicrous and I deem my neighbor is be out of line.

I have always been on fairly good terms with my neighbors, we are original oweners in a 14 year old subdivision and friendship means nothing to me and I owe no one anything.

I allow their kids to come up and cut throught my yard at times and let them play "hide and seek" in my red tips and say nothing about it. Also another neighbor parks his ditch-digging truck by his house and he lives right in the cul-de-sac and I don't say a word. This is how he makes a living and I have respect for the working person. What are your views on this issue? Parking buses at schools invites vandalism and parties and beer bottles found in buses and vandalism causes us to be delayed in picking up our precious cargo and costs us taxpayers additional dollars to make repairs for this vandalism. Our bus yard is big enough to hold all of our some odd 500 buses, but not 500 cars of bus drivers. TALK TO ME!!!! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!!

PS how do you insert those expression icons to messages??

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2001 :  1:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Exactly who's property is it that you park your bus on?

I really don't see a problem, the neighbors know that you have parked your bus their for five years, and if they don't like it I would tell them tough s**t, unless of course it is violating an ordinance that your city or township might have. I would contact your city/township and ask them just to be on the safe side.

If they have room to park the vehicles in their own driveway then they need to park them in their driveway.

I leave my bus at school, but a few of our drivers take them home, and I don't think any of them have had a problem.

As for the neighbors telling you it was an eyesore I would only agree if it were an AmTran, I wouldn't want one of those parked in my neighborhood either. Just kidding, let me know what happens.

86-A It will go in circles around your bus.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2001 :  06:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little input here... If you are "test driving" your run, you should be in your regular bus! How else are you going to find out if there are any obstacles that will impede your running the route properly? What you may not notice in your car could be painfully obvious in your school bus! The Transportation Department should be happy to let you use the bus for that purpose. Our drivers even run the route at the actual times assigned on the route sheet so that they are able to simulate ALL the things they possibly can that will take place during their route...train schedules, large plant shift changes, tight corners, etc.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2001 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just did not want to move the bus again and chance my neighbor parking there to make my life miserable. Yes, you are right I should take the bus as I did last year and found it very helpful especially since I had to go down a very narrow road with a ditch on the side and make a turn on a narrow spot so it helped. What I will probably do is let my bus assistant park her car right in the center of my bus parking spot so my neighbor cannot pull a shrewdy on me. When I came in from church today, I backed up the bus and put our pick up in front of it. I cannot believe these people are acting so childish yet they won't complain about the other neighbor with the his big ditch truck because they are friends. And I refuse to bring that neighbor into it because they have never given me a hassle. We are dealing with a woman who has always thought she was better than us anyway. I am still debating to say anything to the supervisor or just wait until i try to pull from work one day and find their cars parked there purposely, then we call the cops. Thanks for your input and good luck with your run this year!

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2001 :  11:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is the only reason they've given that the bus is an eyesore? I'd suggest talking to them, and trying to find out if there's any other legitimate reason. If there is, deal with that problem. If not, then they're just being jerks, and you have every right to keep parking the bus there. Talk to your supervisor, talk to the police, get a court order, sue them if you have to. It sounds like they're just deliberately parking there to prevent you from parking the bus.

By the way, the smileys have their own special code. There's a button in the window where you write the message that has a little smiley icon on it, at the top right. Click on that, and it'll give you instructions.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  05:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our mini bus drivers used to take their buses to their house ONLY IF THEY HAD A DRIVEWAY AND THE BUS WOULD BE PARKED IN IT! Well this year, we got a new contractor and he built a new-bigger garage that could now fit all buses, so no drivers have to take their buses home.

"Blue Birds Rule!"
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid, I remeber when the driver's of the local contractor took their buses home! Most of them were farms, and had alot of room to park their buses!

Edited by - BusBoy on 08/27/2001 6:17:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  06:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the issue of my bus being parked along the neck of the cul de sac next to my house has been solved. We found out that the neighbor two doors behind us is the only one with a problem. Now she is parking her pest control truck right directly across from my bus to make the right of way very narrow for anyone wanted to get out of the court. I told my supervisor what is going on and he said he normally sends the police out to check out the situation and handle it. So far, I have taken the bus out once for a test run and was able to put it back where I wanted it. These people have no right to think they own the neighborhood or the street they live on and parking two doors away just to harrass a school bus driver is out of line. After all this hassle, I think I should have no problems. But my husband plans on having a second driveway put in right where her husband has his pick up parked, so we can have additional parking in back. We were going to enlarge the existing driveway, but we plan on putting it in the back because he still insists on being ignorant. My husband feels that this is a last ditch effort to make him park his truck next to their expensive Volvos!!! The neighbor is not even driving the truck anymore. My other concern is that if or when any vandalism is done to his truck, I hope that he does not point a finger at us.

Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  2:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All of our drivers have the option to take their buses home, only if you live within the county. Some drivers who can't park at home, park at the schools or at the bus shop. I bring mine home sometimes and leave it at the shop sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought of this.......the traning director said when the drivers in our district used to take the buses home with them, there was less driver absenteeism.

What do you think?

"Gotta love those buses!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000