New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday afternood while running my elementary route I had a fly by that really bothered me. I stop at the stop the reds had been activated when I opened the door. This dude in a red sport car comes to a rather abrupt stop. Then befor the third grader could get from her seat to the door. The car had moved to the left lane and came around the bus like a bat out of hell. Fortionatly I have no kids at this stop or any in this area that have to cross the road. What really bothered me was the what if?

Norman public school has their own Police Department. It really security and most of the department is composed of partime officers who are members of the Norman PD, Sherrifs Deputies, or OU pd officers. We discovered that by declaring the School department a Campus Police department we could qualify for some additional funding and programs open to normal law enforcement agencies.

So when I got to the High School for my high school run. I turned over the information to our capus cops who inturn forwarded it to the Norman PD. This driver at the very minimum will be added to the PD's watch list.

I for one think the stop light laws should be change to make it illegal to pass from the rear any school bus once the amber loading lights have been activated.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  09:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,
I agree that drivers running the warning lights are a major concern. However, I dis agree that we should make anyone stop on the ambers. There is NO state or local law that I could find where anyone has to come to a stop on an amber light. You would have to change the way everyone in this nation thinks regarding stop/warning lights and thats just not practical. The answer to your dilema is, of course, enforcement! Make the locals aware of you situation and see if they can provide you with some type of assistance. The laws we have in most states work, but they must be enforced, especially where student safety is at risk.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  11:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
He's not saying that everyone has to stop for the ambers, just that cars behind you are not allowed to pass once the ambers are activated.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  12:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the strangest thing this morning...

When one of the neighborhood buses stoped to pickup this morning, she stopped right smack in the middle of the two lane road to pick up. I think she did it so no one could pass her on both sides with the reds on

I'm not condoning her actions, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to make it safe for the kids to exit the bus, even if it means blocking traffic so no one can pass you with your reds.

"Gotta love those buses!"
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  5:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you mentioned Joe (WagonMaster) you don't have to stop on amber but I think people see that yellow light come on and that makes them go faster!!!

Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's bad when a Law Enforcement officer passes your stop sign and then waves at you. This guy never turned on a blue light one. I called my supervisor and told him I wanted something done and I wanted it NOW. Here are people who tell us how to drive and to obey the laws and they can't do it themselves...What is wrong with this picture?!? I have regular civilians run my sign all the time. I think I have probably wrote up about 7 or 8 this school year alone. I've always said, If someone hits a student of mine, they had better hope I don't find them. Someone is going to have a bad day if that happens, Lord willing it won't!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000