Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Crossover light switch question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VolcanoSolar

United States
8 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  10:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit VolcanoSolar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

We just bought a '96 Bluebird and are figuring out the controls. Pardon me if this is a totally stupid question, but how do you activate the "crossover approach" lights? I'm thinking something must be amiss with our switches.

Here's a photo link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tpirsig/SchoolBus/photo#5229976157284217522

When I pull out the "crossover master" switch the crossover stop lights turn on.

However, the "crossover select" button doesn't seem to do anything. Only the "crossover master" turns on any lights at all -- the red flashing ones -- and no combination of switches on or off turns on the yellow flashing lights.

Can someone clue me in on how they're normally supposed to work? I'm thinking the "crossover master" should activate the system, and the first stop of the "crossover select" switch would be the yellow lights, and the second stop of the "crossover select" switch would be the red lights.

Thanks from Hawaii

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  11:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a bit confused by what your trying to say but, first turn on the crossover master and leave it on. Then hit the crossover approach or master flasher switch.. that should activate the ambers.. then open the door and it should activate the reds. I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  03:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Make sure that the door is closed before you start. Although the "Select" switch has 3 positions (off, amber, red), with the door open the system overrides to turn the reds on.

It looks like that bus has an air door. Make sure the emergency release over the door is in the normal position, and the air tanks in the bus have full pressure. If it still goes right to reds when you turn the "Master" switch on, it's possible the door switch is broken.
Go to Top of Page

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  12:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
From looking at it...and knowledge about it. I would say that if you want the crossover approach lights to cut on. The door must be in the automatic closed position. Pull the master one. Then just activate the crossover select one. That should do the crossover approach lights. Then if you want them to cut off, you'd either have to pen the door or cut the master off. To get the crossover stop lights on, just open the door when the crossover approach ones are on, or just have the door open and turn the master on.

Hope I helped.

So, I'm not as I seem...ok...just accept me. Just try to.
Go to Top of Page

VolcanoSolar

United States
8 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  12:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit VolcanoSolar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it! Thanks! Lights work fine with the air door closed.
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  9:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! That's a first for me! I have NEVER seen a bus with the "crossover" labeling like that. I have always seen the "Master Flasher" and "Flasher Lights" or "Warning Lights."

What state is that bus spec'd for?
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  06:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen that either. Our Blue Birds with that control panel were labeled "pilot", "master" and "manual".

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  07:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've seen several Blue Birds in CA with that set-up. I've also seen some older 4-light Birds with the same 2 switches, except the red "Select" switch is just 2-position, not 3-way like it is for the ambers.

I'm not sure, but I think that configuration would also meet FL specs, where there's a master switch, and a 3-position off-amber-red switch.

Every state has different requirements for warning light wiring and switches.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  1:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a werid setup, the wording is totally different from all of our 1995-2001 Bluebirds

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  9:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Yeah! I forgot about Blue Bird using the "manual" labeling. All I've driven lately are Thomas's and IC's.

I do remember seeing an OLD Blue Bird with a big black knob push switch for the flashers. It was some kind of a solenoid switch. You pushed it in and the yellows came on. Opened the door for the reds, and when you closed the door the switch would pop back out.
Go to Top of Page

Jerred

United States
73 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  2:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Jerred's MSN Messenger address  Send Jerred a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

I've never seen that either. Our Blue Birds with that control panel were labeled "pilot", "master" and "manual".

That is the way our Blue Birds are. No master on them. Just the manual switch.

So, I'm not as I seem...ok...just accept me. Just try to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000