Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ABS Light will not go out!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grayeagle

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  5:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grayeagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 05 International bus that the ABS light will not go out. On our other buses we can take a magnet and swipe over the ABS module and clear the light. On this bus it is my understanding that you have to go into the computer and pull the code and then clear it. Can this be done with the International software program we received from our dealer? Or do you need to purchase a separate software system in order to clear the ABS light?

Thanks,

Gray Eagle

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What repair has been made? Pulling the code will point you to the malfuntion...Bendix makes a LED code reader/clearing device, looks a bit like a electronic flasher. P/N 801869 and the cable for my '07 IC-CE is a P/N 801872. About $100 for both. They call it a RDU "remote diagnostic unit."

Here's your link:

https://www.bendix.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/ABS/RDUSellSheet.pdf

Go to Top of Page

Grayeagle

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  6:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grayeagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No repair has been made yet. The breaks work great it is only the ABS light that is on. I thought we had the Bednix code reader but when we connected it to the bus and the PC it would not communicate with the bus. I will look on the web at the RDU remote diagnositc unit and see if it is like what we are trying to use. Thanks for the information.

Gray Eagle
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  8:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Bendix remote diagnostic unit works great if you have air brakes, I don't believe you can use it on hydraulic.
Trying to clear the light without or before fixing the problem would seem to me to be a waste of time.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 08/05/2008 8:06:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  02:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My crystal ball tells me that you have hydraulic brakes. If so, the most prevalent problem on that year bus is rusty/damaged tone ring on the rotors. We use Wabco's "Toolbox" software through our laptop to communicate. In any case, you should repair the problem before worrying about the light.
Go to Top of Page

Grayeagle

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grayeagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fixed the problem this morning on the 2005 CE300 International Bus. The bus does have air breaks. Usually when we have a ABS light come on the driver spun a wheel and this will cause a ABS light to come on. We can usually just clear the code by taking a magnet and running it over the module to clear the code. In this case we located the EC-15 (on the rail dirver side behind the tranmission) and found there was no power to the module. We looked under the hood and found that the relay had come un-pluged. We pluged the relay in and the light went off. How the relay got un-pluged will remain a mystery. Thanks for all of your help.

Gray Eagle
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  1:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
abs brakes sound like a nightmare to me from what I have been reading. Do people ever disable them, I mean, just pull the breaker out of the fuse panel and forget about them, esp on 10, 12, or 14 year old busses?

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."

Edited by - misterbill on 08/11/2008 1:10:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  5:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"abs brakes sound like a nightmare to me from what I have been reading. Do people ever disable them, I mean, just pull the breaker out of the fuse panel and forget about them, esp on 10, 12, or 14 year old busses?"

Not if you like your job you don't.
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  04:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish BB would do something about the hyd visions. the ABS lights are contantly coming on and off in my visions. The pick-ups on the rotors rust and give bad readings to the sensors. Painting the back of the rotors seema to help.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is tongue and cheek but an old guy told me this one.. "Use the black tape method" LOL.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  11:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
black tape is kinda obvious to the DMV inspectors!!!
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Yeah, you have to get into the cluster and yank the bulb! Oh wait...should probably read above "Not if you like your job"

The bulb should self check when the key is first turned on so either the black tape or bulb removal method would be rather easy to detect.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  04:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so here it is 2008 technology is everywhere, and we still need tape to fix a bus!
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  05:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L.J.D

so here it is 2008 technology is everywhere, and we still need tape to fix a bus!

Sounds to me like they are trying to 'unfix' 2008 technology.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  06:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you think they use coat hangers on the exhaust systems
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  3:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a good laugh today!

quote:
School Bus Series S4 Brakes

All new generation anti lock systems 'fail soft'--that is, when they malfunction, the air brake system simply behaves as though there was no ABS.

Kind of funny-when they malfunction-shouldn't this read if they malfunction?

Edited by - misterbill on 08/13/2008 4:01:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

AMTK207

United States
110 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  1:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit AMTK207's Homepage  Send AMTK207 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That was a good one...I'm still laughing!

First Student 224933: 2003 Thomas Minotour, T444E/7.3l Powerstroke Diesel engine, white roof/tinted windows, front/rear AC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000