Turn Signals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  12:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do you think that the side turn signals help at all? I think they would since once, in my own bus, we were changing lanes and someone tried to speed by us and they were forced into the median...their fault. But, what do you think?

On another note, has anyone had trouble with the turn signal lever on Thomas MVPs? Lots of ours never seem to stay in position.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"The pacifist's task today is to find a method of helping and healing which provides a revolutionary constructive substitute for war."
-Vera Brittain

Edited by - The BusBoy on 03/21/2002 12:31:13 PM

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  1:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had lots of problems with the International turn signal switches on the steering column. Both the first generation with pull-out hazards and the second generation with the red button hazards. Poorly designed and cheaply made, they just don't hold up. So far so good on the third try, with the hazards separate from the signal lever.

Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've had lots of problems with the International turn signal switches on the steering column. Both the first generation with pull-out hazards and the second generation with the red button hazards. Poorly designed and cheaply made, they just don't hold up. So far so good on the third try, with the hazards separate from the signal lever.

Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  1:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  1:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  4:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new generation Navistar turn signal switches used in tilt steering wheels are the newest piece of junk by Navistar and their dash clusters have just as high a failure rate after at least 3 design changes.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  4:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the signals on buses are a good idea, especially on transit. All of our transits except four have them.

"What can your bus do?"
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What problems are you having with your Navistar/International turn signals?? Just curious. I would appreciate any feedback regarding that issue. We don't seem to be having problems with any of those 3 types of turn signal lever set ups mentioned above.

I believe having 1 or 2 turn signals on the left and right sides of the bus body are very effective, safe, and great to have on any large vehicle. I have only seen about 7 newer buses that do not have them. I thought all buses had at least 1 on each side. But, then again, maybe the district "de-speced" those buses so they wouldn't have any.

If it were me, I would have 2 on each side. That way traffic near the back of the bus can see the rear one easier, and traffic near the front of the bus, can see the front one. I think it is very good to have them on the buses.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  5:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Side mounted turn signals should be part of the national standard. How many times have you been next to a commercial bus only to see the side mounted turn signal begin to flash to alert you that the bus was turning? They are part of our standard spec.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  5:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have one side mounted turn signal on our buses, I think two would be better, we could use one towards the rear.

The "second generation" turn signals, I have on of those on 86-A, then from 89-93, we got the "pull-out" style, then in 95 we went to the "second generation", and then in 98 we went to the new style with the hazards septerate.

In rememberance of the best conventional ever produced- A Thomas Built Buses Body on an International Chassis.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2002 :  5:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think all buses come with at least one, now. My bus is a 1985, though, and doesn't have one. I think it'd be neat to have 3, though. All these rafting buses were retrofitted with them in CO when I went rafting. The new "Detroiter" bus also has three per side.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"The pacifist's task today is to find a method of helping and healing which provides a revolutionary constructive substitute for war."
-Vera Brittain
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  03:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the signals on buses are a good idea, especially on transit. All of our transits except four have them.

"What can your bus do?"

I forgot to add, that all the transits have two on each side of the bus. One up front and one near the rear.

"What can your bus do?"
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  07:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main rule of driving is courtesy. It is good to signal your intentions, so as not to unplesantly surprise your fellow drivers.

Some drivers are discourteous and try to block holes by speeding up. There is not much to do about such cretans.

Just don't let the city the dirty old city take such a pretty and make an ugly of you.

shalom dave

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000