New Freightliner cowl?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VanHool21

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw a picture of the new Freightliner M2 business class series truck.I wonder if this could be a peak at what a new freightliner school bus will look like? I like the looks of the truck,there are several pictures of truck applications,but sadly no school bus.Take a look and see what you think!!http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/default.asp[/url]

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugly, just like the new International cowl. I hope they leave well enough alone.

Superior--built tough, built to last!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  2:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi VanHool21,

I like the look of these new M2 Business Class trucks. I can see in a way that they resemble the new medium-duty International trucks. But, they still seem to have a look of their own.

The school bus chassis is based on Freightliner's medium-duty FL series chassis. If you look at the pictures of those on Freightliner's site, you will see that those chassis look the same.

However, I believe that the M2 Business Class trucks will be the wave of the future at Freightliner. These new trucks will either replace the FL series, or the FL series will be redesigned to have similar characteristics as these M2 trucks.

Regardless of what happens, I do think that eventually down the road the Freightliner school bus chassis will resemble something very similar to the M2 Business Class trucks. I think they will look great when that time comes!

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

wsauer3481

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  4:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Send wsauer3481 an AOL message  Click to see wsauer3481's MSN Messenger address  Send wsauer3481 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
looks like a Sterling also made by Daimler Chrysler

http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/main.asp

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/index_e.htm?/products/products_e.htm

Edited by - wsauer3481 on 02/23/2002 4:14:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  6:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the looks of the M2, I think it's much prettier than the existing Freight cowl. When Freight first came on the school bus market, I thought the cowls were ugly as hell. Now they've grown on me; regardless the M2 looks prettier than the existing Freight and hope it is used on the school bus chassis.

If it's big and yellow, then it's a school bus!
http://www.geocities.com/jasonsbuspage
Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  3:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think it looks too much like the IHC cowl.I think the look of the new Sprinter van is going to look awful on a SB.It just looks too European for a American SB.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
Stop by http://geocities.com/bluebirdtwelve/

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  3:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also think that the Freightliner Sprinter van most definitely looks to European to be an "American" vehicle, let alone a school bus. I would not want this design to be used on Freightliner's medium-duty trucks or school bus chassis. I don't like it.

Let me clear up something for all of you...I really, really hate to admit this but I am going to admit it, as much as I don't want to. Before this Freightliner M2 Business Class truck came out, the same cowl that is on that was in use on some of Freightliner's 18-wheeler trucks. It was the same exact design. This was before International re-designed their new medium-duty truck cowl.

I have noticed on some Mercedes-Benz cars, the same exact headlight/parking light/turn signal set up and design is used on those, as well as on the Freightliner M2 and some of the 18-wheelers. And it makes sense because DiamlerChrysler owns Freightliner.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 02/28/2002 4:50:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  06:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
B.Busguy33, parts bin design is quite frequently used anywhere in these industries. Saf-t-liners use Freightliner headlights. right? The old Freightliner FL-112 was the largest of the business class line. It pretty much used the same entire cab as the Fl-60's and 70's which is what our beloved freightliner bus chassis is based off of. Infact, look real close at the new Freightliner M2, it uses if not the same, very similar headlights that the newly resltlyed Over the road 18 wheeler Colombo truck uses.
I personally dont like the new M2, it looks like a cheap version of Internationals ,,,infact ,it is making the international more appealing to me every day.
The sprinter van is infact a Euro-Mercedes designed in the late 90s. I thought it would look out of touch on american roads,,however after seeing some Fedex Sprinters,,they dont look so bad. A cab and chassis on a school bus would look pretty damn ugly though.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  2:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
B.Busguy33, parts bin design is quite frequently used anywhere in these industries. Saf-t-liners use Freightliner headlights. right? The old Freightliner FL-112 was the largest of the business class line. It pretty much used the same entire cab as the Fl-60's and 70's which is what our beloved freightliner bus chassis is based off of. Infact, look real close at the new Freightliner M2, it uses if not the same, very similar headlights that the newly resltlyed Over the road 18 wheeler Colombo truck uses.
I personally dont like the new M2, it looks like a cheap version of Internationals ,,,infact ,it is making the international more appealing to me every day.
The sprinter van is infact a Euro-Mercedes designed in the late 90s. I thought it would look out of touch on american roads,,however after seeing some Fedex Sprinters,,they dont look so bad. A cab and chassis on a school bus would look pretty damn ugly though.

Hi Jared,

Yup. The Saf-T-Liners have the same headlights as the Freightliners. They also have "Freightliner's" dashboard as well.

I know which Freightliner truck you are talking about that uses the same headlight configuration and design as the M2 truck. I think those 18-wheelers look nice. I have seen a few of them around. I have noticed that just about in every single different model of a Freightliner truck -- whether medium-duty, 10-wheeler, 18-wheeler, heavy-duty, etc., almost all of the different models have the same interiors and dashboards as the others, with maybe minor differences. I like the Freightliner "Classic XL" 18-wheelers. Those are sharp trucks.

I much prefer the new medium-duty International trucks over these M2 trucks. The medium-duty Internationals are growing on me and I am somewhat getting used to their new design. They look tough and look very well-built. Their new logo looks good and I think they are great looking trucks. I remember about a month ago, I did not like them as much as I do now.

I kind of like the front/grill area of the Sprinter vans. It's just the rear of it. I think it is too European and a little ugly. But, if you want my overall opinion of them, I don't particularly care for them and I would not want to see a school bus based on that platform either.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  2:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was on my bus ride this afternoon I saw a Freightliner Truck going down the Highway with that grill desgin I don't know what I think. But right now I don't care for it but I guess it can grow on me.

BlueBird44-Blue Bird keeps on rolling.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  2:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My... Am I the only one who likes both the M2 and the Sprinter? The M2 I like the looks of, and the Sprinter seems to be very functional...

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"The old law, an eye for an eye, leaves everyone blind." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey BlueBird44,

Yeah, it may grow on you. It sounds like you don't see those trucks too often. Last month, I wasn't really liking the new International medium-duty trucks that much. But now, I am seeing more and more and getting used to them. I am starting to like them a whole lot better.

The BusBoy,

Well, there may be a few other people who like the M2 and Sprinter van. Don't be completely discouraged. However, count me out because I am not one of those "other people." hehehe

Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the Sprinter vans. They have a nice look to them, altho the back looks a little disproportional with the height. They seem more sophisticated than other vans. Ford vans look cheap, and I guess I've gotten tired of the look of GM's vans.

The M2s I like, altho I'm not too thrilled with the headlights. Not as bad as the ones on the Intls (the one thing I don't like about the looks of those). But the slope of the hood and angle of the fenders reminds me of the Ford chassis the BBCV was based on, which I did actually like the look of. I wouldn't mind seeing this new cowl on the front of a Thomas (which is the only bus we'll ever see it on, unfortunately).

—Phil

Formerly Phil4747, still a fan of Crowns and Blue Birds!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  10:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote

I feel that, as ugly as it is, the Sprinter van would be a great as a school bus chassis, mainly because of the slope of the hood. The sight lines would be far superior to any van chassis on the market today. The Mercedes engine is first rate, and would also be a strong compliment to the chassis. Again, they are not that attractive, but you never know...It might look good as a small school bus chassis.

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  07:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Sprinter might not look that bad as a SB if it is used like VanCom did with the Dodge vans,which was basically to raise the roof and put safety equipment on it.But I don't know.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
Stop by http://geocities.com/bluebirdtwelve/

Go to Top of Page

Joe771

7 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sterling line is Ford's newly designed class 7/8 truck which Freightliner swindled Ford out of! DaimlerChrysler owns Freightliner, Sterling, Western Star, Thomas bus, Evobus, Detroit Diesel and American LaFrance and they want to own the entire American truck market! I say to hell with all those arrogant German jerks who lied when they told Chrysler it was a merger of equals! Buy Blue Birds and Internationals and be patriotic!

Edited by - Joe771 on 03/12/2002 2:04:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joe771

7 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  2:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see I aggravated you.

Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  08:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Easy there people. Unless you're a supervisor you don't have any say in what kind of bus your district is going to buy, so if it's yellow with black stripes down the side just drive it. Damn

Brian

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bri98-97,

Amen to that!!!! Some people on SBF are just too damned spoiled when it comes to what bus they drive.

Here's something you can't copy: Don't copy my signatures!
http://www.geocities.com/jasonsbuspage
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually some districts do ask their drivers opinions on buses, that doesn't make the decision, but it sometimes helps.

Second, yes some of us are picky, not all of us like to drive any old vehical that is yellow and black. After you have actually drivin a bus, and after 20+ years of doing it, you start to have an opinion of what buses you like, and what one's you want to drive, and since you have built up all that time making the decision you can pick what bus you want to drive, because you have senority.

In rememberance of the best conventional ever produced- A Thomas Built Buses Body on an International Chassis.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  9:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really get into this kind of issues, but I just have to speak my mind anyway.

The way I see it, yes some bus drivers are spoil to the point where they forget it not about the "bus" that make your job. It about the students that we transport everyday "that what our job is about." I come from a large fleet. In our fleet it enither TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. I agree, cause we can't go into the compound and say I want this Thomas, Blue Bird, or AmTran bus. A bus is a bus, I love them all, cause they are just a bus! As long I'm behind a wheel of a bus I'm a happy camper!

Also why would a district go with the high bid just for a bus, to me that money that could be going to the class room?

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~

Edited by - Thomas00 on 03/17/2002 9:41:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2002 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That M2 is a beauty!

I could picture that on any new bus body looking really nice... especially on a Thomas. Maybe I'll make a drawing.

This post is dedicated to Lucy... my former bus driver who is deceased.
Please visit my school bus site:
www.schoolbuslinks.cjb.net
-or-
http://museummiddle.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000