New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2002 :  7:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question about a security issue. I know that, for instance, on a Crown, you have to have the Crown Key to access the engine compartment and side start it. But I've seen some rear-engine buses that don't have a lock on the engine compartment, and I'm wondering if this is a security issue with the remote starters.

I know that on Thomases I've seen, the remote starter requires that the ignition be on. But is it the same on Blue Birds or Intls? If you can't lock the engine compartment, is there ever a concern that someone who knows what they're doing could start the bus?

—Phil

Formerly Phil4747, still a fan of Crowns and Blue Birds!

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  03:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,
Most of the computers in the new buses can be programmed as to when the rear ignitions can be utilized. If buses are parked in "shady" locations, they can be disabled, but most require the front ignition key to be on before they can be started from the rear.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

rockpik98

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  07:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you go to buy more buses, spec. out door locks for all doors including the engine compartment. I do this on all buses that I order. Gives the drivers peace of mind when parked and waiting for their group(s) to return to the bus.

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  09:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the reason that I asked was that I saw an Intl RE the other day, with every vandal lock possible spec'd on it. However, the bottom panel on the engine compartment (the one that keeps dirt out, but folds up so you can stand in the compartment) was not locked. I was able to push on the bottom and it just opened right up--someone could, in theory, crawl underneath and access the engine compartment.

—Phil

"It's clear that you have a strong relationship with the school bus. Perhaps you should try picturing other people as school buses to strengthen your interpersonal relationships." —My Ex-Shrink
Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  5:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
INTERNATIONAL RE REQUIRES A KEY TO START IT FROM THE REAR. HAVEN'T SEEN THE BLUE BIRD YET BUT HAVE 50 ON THE WAY

JIMBO

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  7:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,
Our Bluebirds are here from this years bid, and they have a key.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2002 :  04:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP JOE. I CAN REMEMBER WAAAY BACK, AND ALL PUSHERS HAD SOME TYPE, KEY OR SWITCH, IN THE BACK. BEEN ON BREAK DOWNS WORKING BACK THERE AND HAD KIDS TELL THE DRIVER TO START THE BUS WHILE I WAS INSTALLING A NEW BELT.

JIMBO

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2002 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does any one know if the latch for the rear engine compartment door on an International, Blue Bird, and/or Thomas comes with a lock as standard equipment? Or, is it an option?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2002 :  4:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Phil,
Most of the computers in the new buses can be programmed as to when the rear ignitions can be utilized. If buses are parked in "shady" locations, they can be disabled, but most require the front ignition key to be on before they can be started from the rear.
Joe

Our AmtranRE's have an ignition switch in the back, and you cannot change gears in the "cockpit" unless the front ignition is on. We've never had problems with people getting into the engine compartments, so I should probably knock on wood!

Brian J. Whitta
Fostoria Community Schools
419-436-4105
FOSTORIA_BW@noeca.esu.k12.oh.us
Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  06:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of anyone getting into the engine compartment here. I mean they have set the whole bus on fire before they got to vandalize just the engine. The bus being set on fire happend several years ago, sadly enough it wasn't the first time for the county and probobaly not the last. I would just be curious to know if conventional hoods have any type of locking mechanism. I have never heard or seen anything like that on a conventional.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've never had the wrong person in the engine compartment thank goodness, but once the right person:

A driver lost his keys on a trip in a 1981 Thomas saf-t-liner ER. Somebody knew what they were doing, got in there for him, overrode the fuel shut down valve and jumped the solenoid to start the bus. But those where the good ole days without computer controls!!

Yes, that's my bus.
No, you can't drive it.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  12:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the new Blue Birds, the latch for the electrical access panel door comes without a locking mechanism unless otherwise ordered. I promptly replaced them with locking latches; I would assume all other access doors would come the same way. You would have to spec the locks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000