Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Cameras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  3:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is everybody using for camera systems. Our admin wants me to look at options as we don't currently have any buses with them. Doesn't need to be anything crazy, just want to monitor student behavior hopefully without spending a fortune. Thanks!

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  7:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our district is currently using REI and Rosco camera systems. I do the installs, and decide what is best for a particular bus.

All systems have pro's and con's. I highly advise installing at least a 2-camera system, at minimum our the front of the bus and interior view from the front, which captures the driver and students. Our systems have saved quite a few drivers due to accusations by students/parents. There is nothing worse than trying to protect a driver with no proof.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  03:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The REI HD500 system is pretty bullet-proof. Get yourself 4 of the 170 degree "minibox" cam heads, mount them about 3" above the light bar, staggered with 2 on each side of the bus...you see EVERYTHING.
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  03:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have used Gatekeeper in the past with mixed results. In the past few years we are slowly making the switch over to Seon with a 4 camera system and have had good luck with those so far. I've never used REI or Rosco so I can't make any comparison to those brands.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  06:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are using 247 security. Just the small silver box comes with a 5 year warranty. usually way before the end 5 years there something better or up graded any ways. I have had a lot of brand new camera heads right out of the box be bad this year. and they got me new ones right away. A few boxes I have had to send back. But then again I am running over 400 of these cameras so you expect that. There new event marker has the record light so if drivers don't see it they report it. Then we can fix it before an issue comes with a (NO VIDEO). Also I have to say they have been great on support and warranty.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  10:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We use Seon camera systems HD mini cams on the sides 1.5mm and three 2.5mm rear looking front and one looking out through the windshield and one looking past the driver out the entrance door. We started adding HD outdoor wedge looking back under the stop arm, in Indiana we only have rear plates. On wheel chair buses we put one camera aimed down the wheelchair door. Seon uses the event / camera record button and support is great.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  11:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been running REI for years. I have units that have given absolutely no trouble for 12 plus years. They just run. If you have issues, it's normally a cable or camera, very seldom the base unit itself. We had a hard drive go belly up a few years ago. Our tech guy says "hey, let me look at that". lol, I didn't care. It took it apart and it was just a regular hard drive unit in there. I don't think the new ones are that simple. We have a couple of the ones that Pat is talking about, you can see "EVERYTHING". You can get a harness that monitors brake, right/ left turn, 8-way operation, temp, speed. You would have to add something to sense speed and temp though. We got the speed sensor but not temp sensor.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  07:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I know a school near us is using REI systems and has had good luck with them. I may start with them and see what they can do.
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  1:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been using Seon exclusively since 2014 with very little trouble

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  08:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been using Seon since 2010. Like them a lot.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
REI and Seon are by far the best we have used. We went to the 180* view and stop arm cameras a couple years ago, still replacing older units
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we where using the rossco dual vision setuo but have been having problems with some of them not worring so we went to provision dvr200 with a stop arm camera added on they are great they have wifi so u can ling into them without removing the chip the stop arm camera is cristl cler the hole system is great
Go to Top of Page

aaronthemech

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  3:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in charge of around 60 busses and 40 have various versions of SEON in them. They have been good for us, but the Pro-Vision solid state units have been bulletproof!! Pro Vision has built in WiFi for automatic downloading and system checks.

-Aaron-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000