New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  06:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had a chance to drive a 7.3 yet? It looks like it will be the propane option for Blue Bird in the near future. I watched a video and they said the engine is rated at 475 ft. lbs. of torque. It creates 400 ft. lbs. at 1,500 RPMs. Which I think is pretty impressive. Of course the propane version won't be that high but it is still a lot more torque than the 6.8 V10.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  08:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ICs propane PSI 8.8 liter V8 has more compression, horsepower and torque than the 8.8 gasoline version.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 11/08/2019 08:31:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

ICs propane PSI 8.8 liter V8 has more compression, horsepower and torque than the 8.8 gasoline version.

I'll be, how is that possible?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though there are less BTUs in a gallon of propane you can take fuller advantage of the fuel by running higher compression. PSI 8.8 gas is 9.1 to 1 compression ratio, the propane version is 10.1 to 1.

Edited by - Fastback on 11/08/2019 08:55:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  10:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Even though there are less BTUs in a gallon of propane you can take fuller advantage of the fuel by running higher compression. PSI 8.8 gas is 9.1 to 1 compression ratio, the propane version is 10.1 to 1.

Gotcha. Wonder if they will ever turbo charge a propane?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  11:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

From a land down under;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvQmJ34mRQ

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  11:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

From a land down under;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBvQmJ34mRQ

6 banger to boot. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2019 :  07:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a couple of 460 Fords with a turbo on irrigation wells around here. They put out some crazy power! Not sure why that couldn't be done in the truck/bus world.
Go to Top of Page

gav09

6 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  7:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit gav09's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mquiring

We have a couple of 460 Fords with a turbo on irrigation wells around here. They put out some crazy power! Not sure why that couldn't be done in the truck/bus world.

They could the problem is emissions. Always trying to balance power, emissions, and fuel economy.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2019 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gav09

quote:
Originally posted by mquiring

They could the problem is emissions. Always trying to balance power, emissions, and fuel economy.

Very true on the struggle to balance the power/ emissions/ economy. One would think that emissions would improve with more air, not sure.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  06:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the opportunity to drive one of the International propane buses last week and it seems to be really well balanced with torque and power. We have a test route with a pretty good hill and we know how the diesels and propane buses we have preform on that run so it was a good comparison. It will be our next purchase, then we will have all 4, yes 4.. Blue bird with Roush, Thomas with PSI, Thomas with Agility and International with PSI
Go to Top of Page

aaronthemech

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  4:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just got a new 2019 F350 for our grounds team and it has the new 7.3L gas. It pulls like crazy. They tow a small excavator that weighs in around 16000 lbs and that truck pulls it up our hills with little effort. Way WAY!! better than the 2005 Chevy 8.8L gas or the 2016 Chevy Duramax. So far I am very impressed.

-Aaron-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  05:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwinters

I had the opportunity to drive one of the International propane buses last week and it seems to be really well balanced with torque and power. We have a test route with a pretty good hill and we know how the diesels and propane buses we have preform on that run so it was a good comparison. It will be our next purchase, then we will have all 4, yes 4.. Blue bird with Roush, Thomas with PSI, Thomas with Agility and International with PSI

So you have a new Thomas with the 8.8 engine? How you like it? I do like our ICs with that engine very well.
If I have a complaint about the ICs its the longgggggg wait to start light and the engine shut down if you open the fuel door.

sorry for the hijack

Edited by - Fastback on 11/21/2019 05:21:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  06:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wwinters

So you have a new Thomas with the 8.8 engine? How you like it? I do like our ICs with that engine very well.
If I have a complaint about the ICs its the longgggggg wait to start light and the engine shut down if you open the fuel door.

sorry for the hijack

Naa, not a highjack. I posted this to get discussion going on these kinds of engines. Glad we have someone with real world experience. I still like my V10s but look forward to more torque from the 7.3.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000