Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 VT365 compression specs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  06:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It may stupid question to post, anyone knows what's VT365 compression specs? I guess 350-400PSI, but not really sure, I got driver side bank 2,4,6,8 cylinder compression all the same, round 260-280, wired..... how can they lost compression same time? Thanks

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  04:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if done with servicmaxx or NEDS I wouldn't trust the results as they are. Nothing beats a manual test for compression . Seen alot of people tear engines apart due that test and nothing was wrong

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  04:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for notice, Bluenozer, but I did with my compression gauge from VT365 glow plug hole, just need the right number for cylinder compression, I believe mine is too low one side bank, but not sure.
Go to Top of Page

meanmechanic01

31 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  04:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit meanmechanic01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what was the initial issue that brought the bus in the shop?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  05:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
injector issues washing that bank down, leaking HPOM under cover or that valve with the o-rings that would mess up
400 should be on the low side of the scale most diesels run 400 to 600 psi

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  06:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi meanmechanic01, the initial issue is this VT365 doesnot like to start by itself:) it only start by ether, we replace new glow plug, HPOP pump...and check everything, finally we think it lost compression somewhere, and driver side bank are really lower than other side, just wondering why all 4 cylinder low at same time.
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  06:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bluenozer, if 400PSI is minimum compression, mine are much lower, but why one side 4 cylinder are all low same time? and they are all 260 to 280, none of them higher than 280 or lower than 260, that 4 hole should be independent if any injector leaking....
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  06:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter2019

Hi meanmechanic01, the initial issue is this VT365 doesnot like to start by itself:) it only start by ether, we replace new glow plug, HPOP pump...and check everything, finally we think it lost compression somewhere, and driver side bank are really lower than other side, just wondering why all 4 cylinder low at same time.

From what I can find and from what our dealer told us the 6.0/VT365's compression should be 300-400 PSI.

What I see a s a problem and may answer all your questions is ETHER. Ether washes the oil residue from your cylinder walls and rings causing cylinder wall wear. If it had a problem starting and you are using ether, you are only adding to the problem.

Sounds like at a minimum you will need a short block.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  07:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ronf, I know ether is not good for us, but I didnot understand you properly, what's the reason cause me have to rebuild engine or change engine block?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  10:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Ronf, I know ether is not good for us, but I didnot understand you properly, what's the reason cause me have to rebuild engine or change engine block?

With the oil being washer out of the cylinders, the piston traveling up and down with no lubricate will cause the rings to wear the cylinder walls and the rings causing them not to "seal" thus a loss of compression.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I see your point, RonF, thanks! I may didnot explain clear, we didnot use ether all the time, as I answered meanmechanic01 question: originally this bus hard to start, finally it doesnot start by itself at all, please notice we didnot use ether before that, then we check everything including wiring, IDM, fuel pressure, HPOP...all looks fine, then we try ether to start it, it start almost right away, so I donot think it is ether cause cylinder wear in my case, of cause long time it will, use ether, I just want to approve that problem is low compression, because ether request lower compression to combustion, it helps diesel to start even compression lower a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  05:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, I see your point, RonF, thanks! I may didnot explain clear, we didnot use ether all the time, as I answered meanmechanic01 question: originally this bus hard to start, finally it doesnot start by itself at all, please notice we didnot use ether before that, then we check everything including wiring, IDM, fuel pressure, HPOP...all looks fine, then we try ether to start it, it start almost right away, so I donot think it is ether cause cylinder wear in my case, of cause long time it will, use ether, I just want to approve that problem is low compression, because ether request lower compression to combustion, it helps diesel to start even compression lower a little bit.

How many miles on the motors? How often was the oil and filter changed? These motor are junk to begin with and if routine maintenance isn't done they are even more junk.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  09:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's just over 300,000KM, RonF, I changed oil and filter twice a year with we donot really drive much, I know it is worst engine in international, lack power, high pressure oil problem etc... it keeps us working hard:)
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2019 :  10:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's just over 300,000KM, RonF, I changed oil and filter twice a year with we donot really drive much, I know it is worst engine in international, lack power, high pressure oil problem etc... it keeps us working hard:)

That's good that you got that many miles out of it. It was recommended to me by ic to change the oil and filter at 5000 miles or 1000 gallons of fuel.

definitely sounds like the life is out of it. We had to have all of ours replace right near the 100,000 mile mark. Previous mechanic was changing the oil once or twice a year but we run 20 to 30 thousand a year.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000