New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  8:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently dumped a lot of cash into a new Actron Scan tool. It reads both OBD1 and OBDII.

I hooked it up to all our buses and came back with a few codes i have questions about.

The buses are 93-94 GMC's with 366's

First Code is 043 Electric Spark Control Module or Sensor Problem. What does the ESC do and where is it located?

Next Code is 031 Engine Speed Control Governor Malfunction. I know what it does, but what causes the malfunction? Is the governor bad? Where is it at? When it messes up, what happens?

And also I got a 022 Throttle Position Sensor Signal Voltage is too low. The TPS is brand new. Could this code be from me unplugging the tps while the engine was running?

IF anyone has anything that would help me out, it would be really appreciated.

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  9:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the tps low is usually a poor sensor ground.
the spark control module is on the firewall as i recall. small metal box like a voltage regulator. it controls the spark timing off base adjustment. most times that codes is for unplugged box. also usually sets the lite on. hope it helps. im a little rusty on those. seem them mostly in motorhomes now.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

ol-timer

United States
2 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  04:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit ol-timer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 91 366 last year would flash CHECK ENGINE then a RED . When this would all take place it would run a little rough. Some of the codes you mentioned came up but no sensors checked out bad.It continued to get a little worse would run rich - then idle way up - more lites flashing - TOO RICH CODE - ETC. Well decided to check under Dist Cap and found you could wiggle the shaft a lot bushing was shot.Dropped another Dist in problem SOLVED .Come to find out the pickup can triger all these codes when the gap varies.The high dollar snap-on tool didnt help.Who would have THUNK IT,
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  12:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The TPS is brand new. Could this code be from me unplugging the tps while the engine was running? "

Yes, clear the codes and retest
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  7:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had another ESC code come up today on a bus.

There isn't really any type of miss or anything, however this bus has almost no power when taking a hill.

I dont see the esc mounted on the firewall, is this something that is on the distributer?

What kind of scenario could set off this code?

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  10:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Baptist,

If the bus with low power is the one with the govornor code, something in the govornor is not right. I never had any of the newer electronically controlled (ECM tied) ones, but they run ok until you get a load on them or the accelerator pedal feels like stepping on a brick maybe the govornor spring popped off - had that happen ALL the time on our carb'd busses when the drivers would stab the accelerator.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  3:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your distributor, the rotor has been known to move on the shaft. Check shaft play also. There should be a brown wire with white stripe near the ecm on the right side. It has a connector on it that you disconnect when setting base timing. If it gets disconnected while running it will set a esc code. A complete distributor isn't that bad on price. If in doubt I would replace it. Here is a bulletin that GM had us doing for a while till we started finding bad distributors.

CAMPAIGN: PREMATURE PISTON FAILURE #95-C-18 - (Feb 1, 1995)
SUBJECT: PREMATURE PISTON FAILURE

MODELS: 1990-1995 CHEVROLET/GMC MEDIUM DUTY C5H, C6H, AND C7H TRUCKS WITH 6.OL (RPO LSO) ENGINES AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS

General Motors has determined that CERTAIN 1990-1995 C5H, C6H, and C7H trucks equipped with 6.OL engines (RPO LS0-VIN Code "P") and automatic transmission may experience premature piston failures due to pre-ignition spark plug firing.

To correct this condition, it will be necessary to install a new distributor cap, new distributor rotor, new spark plug wires and new spark plug wire heat shields. On affected 1995 vehicles, only a new distributor rotor is required.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are CERTAIN 1990-1995 C5H, C6H, and C7H trucks equipped with 6.OL engines and automatic transmissions, and built with the following VIN breakpoints:

Year Make Model From Through

1990 GMC/Chevrolet C5H,C6H,C7H SOP EOP 1991 GMC/Chevrolet C5H,C6H,C7H SOP EOP 1992 GMC/Chevrolet C6H,C7H SOP EOP 1993 GMC/Chevrolet C6H,C7H SOP EOP 1994 GMC/Chevrolet C6H,C7H SOP EOP 1995 GMC C6H,C7H SOP SJ503937 1995 Chevrolet C6H,C7H SOP SJ102582

The specific vehicles involved in this campaign have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Computer Listings. These listings are furnished to all involved dealers with the campaign bulletin. Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through VISS (Vehicle Information Service System or SERVICENET prior to beginning campaign repairs.

DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this campaign must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this campaign bulletin before owners take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign is taken into your new or used vehicle inventory, or it is in your dealership for service in the future, you should take the steps necessary to ensure the campaign correction has been made before reselling or releasing the vehicle.

Owners of vehicles recently sold from your vehicle inventory are to be contacted by the dealer and arrangements made to make the required correction according to instructions contained in this bulletin. If the name and address of the owner of an involved vehicle was unavailable to GMC Truck Division at the time of campaign initiation, the dealer must determine the owner's name and address from the dealership sales records. Please provide this information directly on the second copy of the listing next to the applicable VIN so that our records may be updated and the appropriate notification mailed to the owner. This second copy should then be submitted to the address listed below in the previously supplied yellow campaign envelopes.

GMC Truck Division General Motors Corporation 101 Union Street Plymouth, Michigan 48170 OWNER NOTIFICATION ------------------ Owners will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by GMC Truck Division (see copy of owner letter included with this bulletin). A listing of owner names and addresses has been furnished to the involved dealers to enable dealers to follow up with owners involved in this campaign. This listing may contain owner names and addresses obtained from State Motor Vehicle Registration records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to this campaign.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

MAKE SURE THE IGNITION SWITCH IS "OFF".

1990-1994 Models Only

1. Remove air cleaner and hoses.

2. Remove spark plug wires and shields from spark plugs and routing clips. It may be easiest to pull the shields out with the wire boots still inserted.

3. Remove distributor cap and spark plug wire assembly, leaving the spark plug wires attached to the cap.

4. Remove the distributor rotor.

5. Install new distributor rotor from kit.

6. Install new distributor cap from kit.

7. Install new spark plug wire harnesses and ignition coil wire from the kit, using the old cap with old wires as a guide. Also refer to Figures 1 through 3.

Note: Special care should be taken when installing the spark plug wire boots to ensure the metal terminal within the boot is fully seated on the spark plug terminal and the boot has not moved on the wire. Although the shields are pre- installed on the boots, make sure the boots are fully into the shields after connection to the spark plugs.

8. Install air cleaner and hoses.

9. Install Campaign Identification Label.

1995 Models Only

1. Remove air cleaner and hoses.

2. Remove distributor cap, leaving spark plug wires attached.

3. Remove distributor rotor.

4. Install new distributor rotor.

5. Re-install distributor cap.

6. Re-install air cleaner and hoses.

7. Install Campaign Identification Label.

PARTS INFORMATION

Parts are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts operation (GMSPO). To ensure parts are obtained as soon as possible, order them from GMSPO on a C.I.O. order with no special instruction code but order under an advise code two (2).

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle ----------- ----------- ---------------- 12528918 Ignition Kit, Engine Pre- 1 1990-1994) Ignition Repair 10477219 Rotor - Distributor 1 (1995 only)

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Dealers should submit a warranty claim on each vehicle completed under this campaign.

Labor Operation *Time Cause Number Description Allowance Code ------------------------------------------------------------------------- V9510 Replace distributor cap and rotor, spark plug .6 HR 96 wires and heat shields V9511 Replace only distributor rotor (1995 model .3 HR 96 year)

* For dealer to receive Administrative Time Allowance associated with this campaign, add 0.1 hour to the Labor Operation Time Allowance.

CAMPAIGN IDENTIFICATION LABEL

Each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Campaign Bulletin will require a "Campaign Identification Label." Each label provides a space to include the campaign number and five (5) digit dealer code of the dealer performing the campaign service. This information may be inserted with a typewriter or ball point pen.

Each "Campaign Identification Label" is to be located on the radiator core support in an area which will be visible when the vehicle is brought in for periodic servicing by the owner.

Apply "Campaign Identification Label" only on a clean, dry surface.

ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE

Procedures covering this campaign are outlined in Section V of your dealership's "GMC Truck Warranty Claims Processing Manual" #P9119 Rev. 2/94.

Dear GM Truck Owner:

General Motors has determined that CERTAIN 1990-1995 Topkick/Kodiaks equipped with 6.OL (LSO) fuel-injected gas engines and automatic transmissions may experience premature piston failures due to pre-ignition spark plug firing.

To correct this condition, it is necessary to install a new distributor cap, new distributor rotor, new spark plug wires and spark plug wire heat shields on most trucks. On 1995 model year trucks only, a new distributor rotor is all that is required. This service will be completed for you at no charge.

Instructions for performing this service have been sent to your GM Medium Duty Dealer, and parts are available. Please contact your GM dealer to arrange a service date as soon as possible. This procedure will take approximately 45 minutes to complete, but you should ask how much additional time your dealer will need to schedule and process your vehicle.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000