New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got to make a "hard" decision. I don't like that I have to do that!

Some of you may know that i am attending college. I did attend when I got out of high school, but stopped. I now went back after getting my associates, now I'm working on my bachelors. I've got 2 to 3 years left to obtain my bachelors degree, then hopefully masters.

I do get financial aid, because honestly, I can't afford all of those prices! My dilema is, I can't take night courses because financial aid won't pay for them, so I"m stuck with all day courses. If I could take a night course, I would, but at this point, I can't pass up free $$.

I work only in the afternoons. So far I have my school schedule set up starting at 800 am lasting to 1230 pm. So I'll have plenty of time to do my afternoon routes. The thing is, there is a class I really need that ends at 120. I've got to be at the bus yard at 130 and I won't make it.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to quit driving the bus, I really don't! Come September, I will be going into my fourth year as a bus driver.

I'm thinking, that I don't take this course, I should take it next semester, hoping that they offer it at an earlier time, or I talk to my manager and turn myself into the dreaded spare bus driver You can probably tell how I feel about that

Or maybe find a route without a high school then I'd probably get stuck with a Front engine!

So I'm thinking that i keep my afternoon route and wait on this class and take classes before that!

Any advice?!

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 07/17/2004 10:28:14 PM

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can think of one of two options you can try.

If you took the class that lasted until 1:20 p.m.: How many days a week would you be taking the class? If it was only for one or two days per week, perhaps someone could do your afternoon high school route on the days you have that class and then you can drive your high school route on the other days.

Or, you can contact the college and maybe they would know what times the course is offered next semester. If the times were different, then you could probably take it then. I would think any course would be offered at different times, rather than just at one time.

If worse came to worse, perhaps you could try finding an elementary-only route. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you take your bus to the college between runs? I know a lot of people who attended school or another job between runs and always took the bus and parked it there. Check with your boss as he/she might understand your situation and not want to lose a driver.
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  04:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always be come a SUB. The industry needs sub and you have an advantage over many new Subs and that is experience as a regular route driver.
I work for NPS located in Norman Oklahoma which is home of the University of Oklahoma. We have had many drivers that were students. A lot of our Subs are colledge students and some come only twice a week or miss a day because of school. My advice to you is to keep focused on your educational objectives. I am retired from the US Air Force I am also 60 years old so I have had my career. I am also a full time driver/seat remairman for the district. So you see when you get to be my age you can always come back and be a bus driver if you want.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  08:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It seems odd that financial aid would dictate when you can and can not take a class, does it really matter what time of day you take the class, as long as you take it? (but that discussion isn't really for this forum)

I would go ahead and take the class this semester and talk with your supervisor to see what you can do with your route. If you end up becoming a sub you can always go back to driving regular route when your schedule allows it.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  11:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This may not make any sense what I'm about to say, but here it goes. Go with your gut. Sometimes it's right and sometimes it's not right.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  1:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what Bret said about it being odd that financial aid would not pay for an evening class, but what do I know? I'm sure there is a reason for it, maybe not a good reason but a reason none the less.

Anyway, perhaps if you talk to the professor they would allow you to leave class early, assuming the bus yard isn't too far from the school and it doesn't have an adverse affect on your studies. That way you can have the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents.

Let us know how you make out.
Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  3:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the bus parking idea. If you didn't live so far away I would come over personally to see it everyday and keep it company while you are in class. I support the others; do some checking and then go with your gut. Keep in mind though you may not be able to go from reg. route to sub and again to reg. route until the next school year comes around. I believe this is the way it works with First Student locally.

I'll be praying for God to give you some guidance. I know that you are a great school bus driver and wish you luck in the balance game.
Countgirl

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  05:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your education must come first! I agree with Stevebus42. I was a sub while in college due to my class schedule and things worked out well thanks to an understanding supervisor. I provided her a schedule, in writing, and I stuck to it. I worked whenever my schedule allowed and gave 110% when I was there.
Go to Top of Page

Rockstar97

147 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  05:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been in the same situation for the last two years. I attend university full-time on top of my double-run. I leave for the bus yard at 6:30am with my school bag, lunch, and stuff for the day. I bring it all on the bus with me. I do my two runs, then drive to the university. I park the bus on a residential street, walk 15 minutes and I'm in class from 10am 'til 2pm. I eat on the walk back to the bus at 2, and I'm at my first afternoon school by 2:30. I do my double-run, park the bus in the yard, home by 5:30 for supper, then back to class (in my car this time) from 7-10pm. I only have those evening classes twice a week, though, or else I'd probably go nuts. It has worked for me...it's tough, but it keeps the blood flowing. I don't know if this scenario is possible for you, but I urge you to explore it if your company says it's ok, because I understand your "ties that bind" to school bus driving...I still love going to work every day, and the kids make the break-neck pace absolutely worth it, a million times over.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions, I really appreciate all of your input.

I'm going to go down the list and reply to each of them:

BBusguy: The course is a 4 credit course, Mon Wed Fri until 120 and Thurs until 1230. I wish it was till 1230 everyday then that would be perfect. The school does't know the schedule yet for next semester.

JC/Countgirl: I've thought about bringing the bus to the school, but the parking lot is not set up to park a bus, it's too confined. As to parking it on the road, I don't want to be responsible if anyone damaged the bus. I would love to do that, even if I did, I would have to rush to get to the school on time, I mean rush, so that option is out.

Stevebus42: I am still hanging on that idea as I am having some thoughts about only driving 2 afternoons for a total of 6 hours a week. I just hate the fact of not driving my rear engine. I don't like that idea! I probably will see how the first two weeks of doing my regular routine work out, working 3 hours a day, if it's not, I'll have to give up my route, it will pay off in the long run.
Steve bus..I know when I retire i'll be driving a bus again!

Thomas86: I messed up the wording regarding to financial aid. It goes like this: Financial aid will contribute, but the school adds on extra costs to night courses , I'd be paying 230 dollars more per class if i went at night- So although that's an option, I'd rather not have to pay extra fees, It would defeat the purpose of recieving financial aid If i had to pay extra fees. It does seem odd the way they do it, it's a state school, so they have day courses that are supported by the state, and the night courses are not supported by the state. It doesnt make any sense to me, alot of jibberish! For example: If you took a Chemistry class during the day, you would pay a flat rate of 500. for the course. However, If you took that same class during the evening, you would pay the 500, PLUS they tack on LAB fees 75.00, Night instructor fee 50.00, Night Security fees 40.00. I guess they take advantage of people who want to take night courses to force them to take day courses? I am not sure! I just know it's strange. I got my college bill, when I had one night course on it, it was 2800/sem. For 4 courses, One course at night and three during the day. When I changed it to all day courses, (4 during the day) My bill dropped to 2500/per semester.

Rockstar, I'd think I would go crazy with that kind of schedule!

Thanks to the ones i didn't get a chance to respond to: Sherm, Count, Gmc, and 92, Rockstar, I appreciate all of your advice!

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 07/26/2004 1:27:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2004 :  6:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome for the advice that I gave you.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000