Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Type A buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tevi

4 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2001 :  4:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody here ride/drive a type-A bus? If so, do you prefer them over type-C/D buses? Why/why not?

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2001 :  08:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tevi,
In our large district, we find type "A" buses extremely inefficient,ie; not enough capacity. We can fit a 47 pass. type "C" any place an "A" type will typically go, and we really need the capacity. We have even replaced the 47's with some 71-77 pass forward control type "D" buses with excellent results. The "A" buses are just too small to be of much use to us. Thats my $.02
Joe
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2001 :  09:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Type "A" buses are just too small for any of our routes. Our school does not have any of them. We use full size conventionals as we can get them down all of our roads.
The only type A around are for the head start programs.

"Thomas Built Busses-The best busses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2001 :  10:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have a small fleet, consisting of 7 full-size (72 cap) route buses, and 1 mid-size (36 cap) conventional (Type C). 2 years ago, it was 7 65 pass and 1 23 pass type A. With our new contract, we wanted to increase the capacity as much as possible.

There aren't any roads in our town that require a Type A. There are only 2 or 3 turnarounds that are a little tight, and we just use the 36 for those.

I personally prefer the larger buses--they feel like buses, not vans. I think that the driver's area on the larger buses is better in the sense that you have more room. It's difficult to go from driver's seat to aisle on the vans. You also get more protection in the larger buses.

I also believe, as a matter of personal preference, that a cutaway van isn't as nice. A friend of mine puts it best--"Anything with a left-side door isn't a real bus."

Go to Top of Page

cowlitzcoach
Advanced Member

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2001 :  8:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cowlitzcoach's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a lot of reasons I don't like Type 'A' buses. Cheif among them is the poor visibility from the driver's position.

For all practical purposes, the use of a Type 'A' is determined by the number of seats that are needed more than anything else.

If all you are transporting at a time is one or two students, a single rear wheel Type 'A' can be very economical to operate. If you have to transport very many more the Type 'C' and 'D' buses become more economical with the added benefit of better driver visibility.

Mark O.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2001 :  03:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have six type A buses. They are all Blue Birds on Ford/Chevy chassies. In our district we have losts of back roads with a limited number of students on them. So the type A's do the job well.

Edited by - Bus Boy on 02/06/2001 03:32:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2001 :  12:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody gotten a new Type A' bus??

"This post is deducated to my OLD bus #39. A 1997 GMC Blue Bird. New bus: 2001 Blue Bird All American FE #215."
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  07:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that Type A buses are very practical and economical for certain markets. They are cheaper and more compact. However, I feel that type A buses could be re-thought. I think that visibility and all that drivers area clutter can be redesigned. This is very convienient, because I have been thinking about this subject lately, and after coming up with a standard type A bus model this summer, I want to redesign it. I am really interested in hearing your input. ( lets leave out the capacity thing, because capacity is what determines the bus to be considered class A , so no matter what its gonna be 30 max )
Another note about Type A buses.....Does it intrigue any of you that their are so much more manufacturers in this market?

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Capacity doesn't determine the Type. In theory, you could have a Type A-2 (new definition, >10,000 lbs GVWR) with a 78 capacity, if you built a bus on a large enough truck cab chassis.

I've heard a lot of larger Type As mistaken for Type Bs (most notably on Mid Bus' web site and in their literature), but as I understand it, a Type B is one of those boxy-type buses, built on a stripped chassis, that from the front look almost like a delivery van.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  10:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traditionally type "A" buses are the smaller van type or "cutaway" school bus conversion. Don't know of anyone that makes a 78 passenger type"A". There would be no advantage and many disadvantages such as insufficient GVW ratings, etc. Anybody needing that capacity will have to go to "C" or "D" type now that the Vista is no longer produced as a "B" type with the larger capacity bodies to choose from. Biggest "A" I've seen is the 48 passenger A-2 from International.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  12:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm just using that as an example. I know that the 48 passenger 3400 is the largest Type A currently available, although I've heard rumors about something soon from GMC.

Just for the record, the Vista at different times was both a Type B and a Type C. The original design was a Type B, since it was a Thomas hood design. Ward's snub-nose was also a Type B. However, the Vista on the International 3600 chassis was a Type C, just with a shorter hood than the 3800.

—Phil

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  12:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, I thought that gvw ratings did signify the difference between the "types". Like for instance, Type As were Van cutaways so that would be like up to 10,000 est. Type B was that StepVan look alike built on the chevy P-chassis, and Ford Stripped chassis and etc. so that would be up to about 15,000 gvw?? ,,,and I know that the original Vista looked like this, but since you could get a Vista with 78 capacity, doesnt that mean the GVW is higher, makign it a Type C? The later Vistas were 3600 chassis, and I think they had GVW's comparable to the 3800 right?

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2001 :  2:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Taken from the 13th National Conference on School Transportation's revised standards (2000), Terms and Definitions:

quote:

School Bus Definitions

Type A
A Type "A" school bus is a van conversion or bus constructed utilizing a cutaway front-section vehicle with a left side driver's door. The entrance door is behind the front wheels. This definition includes two classifications: Type A1, with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than or equal to 10,000 pounds; and Type A2, with a GVWR greater than 10,000 pounds.

Type B
A Type "B" school bus is constructed utilizing a stripped chassis. The entrance door is behind the front wheels. This definition includes two classifications: Type B1, with a GVWR less than or equal to 10,000 pounds; and Type B2, with a GVWR greater than 10,000 pounds.

Type C
A Type "C" school bus is constructed utilizing a chassis with a hood and front fender assembly. The entrance door is behind the front wheels.

Type D
A Type "D" school bus is constructed utilizing a stripped chassis. The entrance door is ahead of the front wheels.

—Phil

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  05:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,
Regardless of definition, the Thomas Vista/International 3600 has never been considered a "C" bus. They have always been called modified type "B". We started buying them in 1992 and continued until they stopped production in 1998. We have one of the largest Vista fleets in the nation, and thats not a great thing, but it means we are experienced in buying and maintaining them. They are hard to work on in some areas, and even changing fuel filters has become a dreaded task due to its location. However, since its inception it has always been a modified type "B". The type of hood never entered into what type a bus is. The 3600 and 3800 are vastly different in the front end of the chassis. Steering box is located much further forward on a 3600, body mount locations differ, its just not the same chassis. I can't tell you why these things are as they are, but only that Thomas and Ward/Amtran both marketed their Vista units as I described.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  12:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I think you guys have it easy.....we have twice as many Vistas in Dade County.
as you guys do .

But you're right, we are experienced in maintaing them. Boy are they a problem to work on!

Edited by - thomasvista2012 on 09/13/2001 12:45:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  07:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 2012,
True enough! Between the two of us we have around 1200 Vistas! Wow! Glad to be in the transit business now instead of the vistas.
Joe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000