Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Transit vs. Conventional
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mzanchelli

95 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  08:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas out there why the transit style buses seem to have become much more common in the last 10 years or so? Also, when in high school our district had 1983 GMC BB's with the brown interior/yellow seats? Anyone else seen such a combo?

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  12:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the brown/yellow combo. I think it would be very eugly. But in the General Interest section of School Bus Fleet, there is Transit vs. Conventional postings. Hope I helped you out!

"This post is deducated to my OLD bus #39. A 1997 GMC Blue Bird. New bus: 2001 Blue Bird All American FE #215."
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

The main possible reason transits have become more popular these days is because of the fact that they can fit more pupils than a conventional. This may be because over the years, class sizes have increased, and the need for larger buses becomes apparent. Another possible reason may be operating costs. The operating costs for a transit style school bus are cheaper than a conventional.

Yes, the initial purchase price may be greater than a conventional, but the average lifespan of the bus incurred with its operating costs of the bus offsets the purchase prices of transit style buses. Also, transit style buses offer greater visibility and maneuverability versus a conventional, which is why here in Washington State we almost all use transits for our schools.

I hope that this may have answered your questions.

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2001 :  1:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Around here another large factor is that many districts are being faced with minimal choices in body and chasis combos. With having for example a Thomas EF, the chasis and body are all from Thomas, all thats left to spec is the choice of engine. This is something that will not assume to change anytime soon.

Also, many districts around here are finding a cut back in the 90 capacity forward control units for field trips versus using 2 or 3 conventional style. They appear to have the equivalence from what we have seen and neighboring districts as far as maintenance and costs of repairs but ease of service is friendly and the line of vision from the driver's seat is a safety feature. Their turning radius is sharp and handles great and smooth.

Here, we use the rear engine for the suburbs and the forward control units for the rural areas.

Hope this helps

P.S. No yellow seats for us

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  03:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I have a new transit style bus, I've noticed that tranist sway a lot. Has anybody else noticed that?

"This post is deducated to my OLD bus #39. A 1997 GMC Blue Bird. New bus: 2001 Blue Bird All American FE #215."
Go to Top of Page

mzanchelli

95 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  06:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know about the brown/yellow combo. I think it would be very eugly. But in the General Interest section of School Bus Fleet, there is Transit vs. Conventional postings. Hope I helped you out!

Go to Top of Page

mzanchelli

95 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2001 :  06:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The yellow seats were really quite attractive when new and they woke you up in the AM, but as they aged and soiled, they were re-covered with green slip covers - then the buses looked gross
Any ideas out there why the transit style buses seem to have become much more common in the last 10 years or so? Also, when in high school our district had 1983 GMC BB's with the brown interior/yellow seats? Anyone else seen such a combo?

[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2001 :  12:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you've never driven a Transit, then you've never driven a REAL SCHOOL BUS!

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  05:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three reasons come to mind quickly;
1. Capacity- Obviously they hold a greater number of passengers.
2. Manueverability- an 84 or 90 passenger Front engine transit will turn shorter than even a 65 passeneger conventional style bus, therefore allowing the same routes to be handled by the larger bus.
3. Length of service- The Transits usually are equipped with a higher GVW rated chassis. This means a commensurately higher output engine, and a heavier duty transmission as a result. All the above means a longer service life (assuming proper maintenance of course).
Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 09/13/2001 05:40:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2001 :  12:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wagonmaster,

Just got the news that for 2002 we are getting:
152 72 pass. Bluebird All-American REs
10 90 pass. Thomas ER lift buses

I'm sad to see that we are going with Bluebird, but they might have a better bus in the long run, considering our 2000 Thomas ERs had so many problems with them.

"Gotta love those buses!"
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  05:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas,
Why be sad the RE Bluebird All American is a good bus. We ordered 55 of them this year, too! We needed the 84 passenger version is one of the main reasons we didn't buy the Amtrans again. They were only available in 78 pass. You'll be fine with the Bluebirds. I drove one for an "extended" period during the FAPT summer conference, and was very pleased with the overall bus. We'll be getting Carrier A/C and the ISC Cummins engine in ours, too many CAT problems. (Wish I could get the DT466E!)
Wonder why they bought any Thomas buses since they had so much trouble with their 2000's? Hope you have better luck with these units.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2001 :  1:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
We needed the 84 passenger version is one of the main reasons we didn't buy the Amtrans again. They were only available in 78 pass.

Hi Joe,

As far as I know, International/AmTran still makes 84 passenger buses. I think they are still making them anyway.

Did they discontinue them? Or, did they lose the bid in your district because of their price, compared to the price of the Blue Birds?

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  06:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,
Florida adopted the new "federal" seat spacing requirements that mandate additional space in the first few seat rows to provide adequate clearance for infant/car seats. With that extra space Amtran, with it's wide entrance door, can't put the last row of seats in. They provided a "roomy" 78 passenger last year, but was unable to "engineer" room for all the seats this year as Thomas and Bluebird were. They can do it, but must add a few inches to the overall bus length, and they'd rather not go over 40 feet. I told them that a 41' bus wasn't an issue for us, but they are still studying the ramifications.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks Joe.

I think I have an idea of what you are talking about then. Since you bought the 78 passengers last year, they must've spaced the seats out on an 84 passenger body-style shell to allow for the extra room (even though it was a 78 passenger bus). And, International/AmTran didn't offer the same (extra) amount of seating space on the 84 passenger bus as they did on the 78 passenger bus.

We have a few AmTran RE's that are around here which have 72 passenger capacities, but they are equipped with a 78 passenger school bus body instead...to have extra room between the seats. I like this idea. It gives us taller people more legroom, which I can certainly appreciate!

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  11:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,
Let me clarify. The reason we got 78 passengers was because of the new federal spacing deal. We wanted 84's then too, but since the rules were so new, NONE of the MFGS offered an 84, so we all settled for 78's (in Florida). This year Bluebird and Thomas have figured out how to space the seats properly and still provide seats for 84. Amtran is still working on it and they know its costing them money$$!! Hope they get it done in time for next years bid!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe,

Just wanted to say thanks for the clarification. I understand what you were talking about now!

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000