Uniforms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2001 :  09:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does any school district or contracter require drivers to wear uniforms or special clothing of any kind (ie shirts, jackets)?

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2001 :  3:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of our drivers can wear what ever they want. But they do have to fit the school district's dress code.

Mechanics do have to wear shirts with Monarch Student Transportation on it.

"Blue Birds Rule!"
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2001 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Indianapolis First Student just got the contract with Indianapolis Public Schools and the driver do not have to wear any uniforms! Why should they! The kids are the ones who need too!!

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2001 :  6:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry BusBoy, ya got it backwards. DRIVERS need to wear uniforms, not the students. The drivers are professionals, they need to look like it, and that means, wearing a uniform. If a driver isn't wearing a uniform, how do I know that they're a driver. All of our drivers wear them, so I guess I'm used to them.

I'm a student, and I refuse to wear a uniform. I do not need to be told what to wear.

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2001 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Up here in Washington State, drivers aren't required to wear uniforms. Neither are many students. There are only a few districts that require students to wear them, but as far as drivers, there isn't a requirement. While uniforms have a purpose, I feel like they take away individuality, and highly limit self expression. The only point that I would require uniforms is if there were too many problems with "individual attire" like shirts that advertise tobacco or alcohol, sexually suggestive clothing, gang related attire, or the like.

Other than that, I am really not much for 'em.

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 08/22/2001 6:49:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2001 :  7:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We provide drivers several shirts/blouses with department logo to maintain a professional image. These are provided after the drivers complete their probationary period.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Pusher2

26 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2001 :  8:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got rid of our uniforms this year with our new union contract. Before this we had to were blue pants shirts had to have a coller. At one time years ago we wore uniforms like our mechiancs only they wore Grey shirts and dark grey pants we wore light blue shirts and dark blue pants. which I liked everyone looked good and there was no mistake of who or what we were. With the contract (union) we can can were jeans but they want them to be BLUE JEANS not the stone washed look. And for shirts anything except ones with slogans on them. I was one of the few that thought we should have kept the uniform.Made us look better and made it easy for the schools to I.D. us when we were in the buildings.

DRIVE SAFELY!!

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2001 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomasvista2012,
The reason I feel that Students should wear some type of uniform, is with all the different gangs that are in are schools now a days!, this is the only reason I feel this way!! A bus driver is not a full time employee and why should a part time person wear something everyday!! I don't think just anybody could get on a bus and drive it!! I know most school systems are issuing name badges for all employees!! Just my 2 cents!!

Edited by - BusBoy on 08/25/2001 7:35:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

BUSBOSS105

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  5:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every September my drivers are issued three shirts and three pants with our logo embroidered on the ****s. Our School Dept. allows for this in our budget. In addition we also get work boots in November.
I feel that uniforms help us look more professional and save our own wardrobes. They also make our parents at the bus stops more comfortable when a new driver appears on their route and they notice the same uniform. I usually sit down with most of our drivers and let them choose what they would like to order. We also feel like we belong on the same team which we do.....

Go to Top of Page

HeyBusBriver

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  4:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been driving a bus for 13 years,10 of those years were nonuniform. The last 3 years, under a new companys contract, we have had to wear uniforms. I personally do not like them as do majority of my co-workers. I prefer wearing my own clothes.
Go to Top of Page

BigDog-4

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2001 :  10:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes we can wear shorts and pants dosen't madder want color or how short. we have polo shrit's and tee shrit's with are logo on them School color's . And we had one Driver get the O.K. to make up button's with are logo on them so we (she) can wear tank top's which she wear's offen with the approval of the boss... which are to be School color's but people do wear what they what And yes me myself I think that wearing uniforms or shirts,jackets with your school name and color's are very professional...........

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000