Parents and their Complaints!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2001 :  10:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How dose your Transpotation Department handle parents on important issues? (like bus stop pick ups and drop offs,or another child is picking on my child..ect.)

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2001 :  11:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We don't usually have problems with where the stops are located, since most kids are picked up at their driveway. If they have to walk to the end of a road to be picked up, according to the student handbook an elementary student can walk up to 1/2 mile, and a high school student up to a mile. We have never had to make anyone walk farther than that, and anyone who calls and complains can read the handbook. The only time we don't route a bus down someones road, is if it a dead end with nowhere to turn around.

A child picking on my child is usually taken care of by the driver. I do not tolerate it on my bus, so it doesn't happen very often. If it happens with younger kids I can usually hear them, and put an end to it right then and there. If it happens to kids and I don't hear it I tell them they need to come to me and tell me most of them do, some tell their parents, and the parents call the school office. The office contacts me, and I will call the parents of both children.

86-A It will go in circles around your bus.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2001 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If parents have a complaint they call the school office and if the office can't handle it they will pass it on the the Transportion Supervisor or they school will have them contact the driver.Elemntry students are picked up in front of there house enless there is a side walk then they can walk a few feet if the houses are close together. The stop has always been infront of my house in middle school the driver wanted to put it infront of another house and I did not have a side walk on my side so we had them move it. High School Student who live 2 miles from School have to walk or basically where the side walks end. I am really close to the end of the line but I can't not ride a bus. SO complaints go to school then eithier to the driver or to Trans.Supervisor.

BlueBird44- Dedicated to 89 TC2000's Bus #44 out of service for the 2nd year still my FAVORITE!
Go to Top of Page

BUSBOSS105

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2001 :  03:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter how hard you may try you just can't possibly please everyone. Some parents have a legitamate complaint that needs to be addressed. Usually the pricipal may contact the transportation supervisor for an answer or solution to a problem. If the parent is still unsatisfied, especially when it comes to policies and proceedures they may contact The Superintendant of Schools for a final decision. Some complaints are unfounded and usually deal with parent convienence while they are at work and unable to take responsibility for their child's schedule.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2001 :  03:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most complaints are referred to the bus driver with a phone number to call, except when the bus driver is too inexperienced to work effectively with parents.

Kids acting out on the bus are given immeadiate options -- seat change, return to school, note home, bus ticket, something that encourages the child to follow the bus driver's directions.

Most parents dislike surprises or made to look stupid about their kids behavior. Most dislike their child allowed to escalate on the bus, then receiving a bus ticket prior to made aware and permitted to intervene. They like to be informed early on about any misbehavior their child is commiting on the bus and prior to a bus ticket written.

A courtesy warning is at this link, front page:

http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/artytc/bwarn1f.htm

Here's some ideas on writting bus tickets:

http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/notes/drvrmt2.htm

Other stuff at:

http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/ytc.htm

Complaints about the safety of a bus stop is investigated. Door side drop and pick-up is the effort, but sometimes parents want their kids to cross -- makes for a later pickup or earlier drop off. A note from the parent
asking to allow their child to cross is usually accepted.

(jk)

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2001 :  06:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We handle all complaints, all the time. If we don't do what someone wants, they will sometimes call the Superintendents office, but they usually get routed back to us unless its something unusual. The Supt. staff won't make ANY changes or make any promises to anyone without involving us. It HAS to be that way to continue to be effective and efficient.
You folks with an elected Superintendent have my sympathy. Polititians do whatever it takes to get re-elected and that doesn't always serve the best interest of the students OR the Transportation Dept. if it means more votes.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  8:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see some of theses complaining parents come and drive these buses and deal with what we deal with on a daily basis. If they can do any better, then perhaps they need to come drive and see if they can do any better. I had a parent call and complain on me the other day saying "I was making her son walk home for punishment"...I got news for her...if she thinks walking is punishment, she better wake up and smell the roses. What happened was my route changed and he was no longer being dropped off at his driveway and he didn't like walking 2/10 of a mile. The boy plays basketball for the school team and this is nothing but laziness. But the parent got what she wanted. I decided to help him just a little bit more. Instead of him sitting in the back of the bus, he sits toward the front - heaven forbid he walk much further than he has to! Ok, my gripe is over...thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2001 :  05:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our school building officies handle all of that stuff!

"Blue Birds Rule!"
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2001 :  11:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We like to think that we are providing a service and the students and parents are our customers. They DO pay our salaries and they are definitely not "the enemy." Most complaints have some truth to them and we want to resolve each to everyone's satisfaction. A "win/win" resolution is what we strive for. Rudeness on our side, be it office staff, driver, bus attendant or anyone else working for the school district - will not be tolerated.

That is not to say that we receive some requests that are not possible for us to fulfil.

I immediately offer to meet with anyone who is not in agreement with our response to a complaint. They are sometimes flabbergasted that a school district employee would go to that much trouble to help them. Our goal is to hear them say that we "bent over backward" to try to work out a solution to their problem. And we do - gladly.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2001 :  5:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

"... Rudeness on our side, be it office staff, driver, bus attendant or anyone else working for the school district - will not be tolerated. ..."

Bravo!, Rudeness toward parents is a major mistake some districts make, regardless of the parent's behavior. Parents are much less likely to be rude when it can be showen that it was the child's decision to refuse to follow the bus drivers directions -- not the bus driver's, not the child's parents' and was not the school district's decision that the child refused to follow the bus driver's directions.

I agree with you 110% about parents. They are not the enemy. I've found over the years that without the parents help there is no such thing as a safe school bus. Even the angry parent can be dealt with by getting safety info about expectations to all parents, prior to a problem with their child.

It's not easy to learn how to deal with parents -- takes practice -- but life on the bus is sure a lot easier for all the adults involved after learning how to work with parents in an effective way that honors Mom and Dad. (jk)

Edited by - jk on 08/28/2001 5:16:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  10:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has any driver ever had a violent parent get on their bus!! ( I know that in Indiana it's a class D felony!) if the parent is in anyway violent!

And how did you handle this situation?

Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  6:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup! This particular driver is long gone, so I can be a bit more critical. She did some things that may have provoked an emotionally unstable parent. It is so easy for us to be "Monday Morning Quarterbacks," but this particular driver, in my opinion, did not follow a reasonable course of action. When the parent was loud and abusive the driver became defensive and hostile in response. I'm not saying the parent was right in boarding the bus and striking the driver, either. In fact, we called the police and immediately pressed charges of assault and battery - and the parent was arrested that same morning.

Since that incident, we increased our driver training efforts in this area. There are two school bus driver films that address this issue very well, and all new drivers are required to see both. Also, as you may have seen in my post above, our current "culture" would NEVER condone rudeness on the part of the driver.

We'll never be completely immune from an occasional nutcase, though - and every driver needs to know appropriate responses and behaviors to defuse these situations. And while doing so, if it is escalating, they should not hesitate to call "911." No one gets paid enough to be physically abused.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2001 :  6:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Put John Farr!
I know that most schools tell the driver's to not let the parent on the bus! And if you have to, close the door on their face! Now I feel that mite even throw more fuel to the fire!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000