New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  3:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other day, I had my red lights on and my stop sign flashing, the whole nine yards. A police cruiser with no emergency lights or sirens just went on by, very casually, like it was nothing.

I did not beep the horn. I know for a fact he was not responding to any emergency, because he went in the dunkin donuts parking lot.

It really t'd me off because I was unloading, along with another bus. After that, two cars went through our stop sign because they saw the police cruiser go through. They must have been thinking "if a police can go through the lights, then why can't we?"

Am I mistaken but aren't they supposed to stop. I live in Massachusetts, does anyone know the general rule for this issue??

I should have reported him, but i dont want any police officers after me for no reasons.

What do you all think about this.

On the flip side of the coin, there is another officer, who, even when she is in an emergency, will drive right up to our window and say "Can i go through your sign"? Even when she has her lights on...

What do you all think about this.

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  3:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think everyone everywhere has to stop at a school bus' signal. The stop arm doesnt say STOP for decoration.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  3:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know in the state of TN every vehicle must stop for a school bus including an ambulance responding to an emergency.

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  3:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, police are required to stop even when they have thier lights on. They are requesting the right-of-way. If they were to hit a child they would be at fault.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Connecticut-all vehicles must stop-even if they are responding to an emergency-they can then proceed with caution (at this point they are assuming all responsibility) past the bus. But they MUST stop first. I'd be ticked too!

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  5:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You should have hit that horn and let that police officer know that he shouldn't have gone through those lights. I'd called the department and turned it in, that's rediculous.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  6:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if you heard an emergency vehicle coming close to the stop our bus would not but the light on until the emergency vehicle passes.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  6:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If the police man/woman had an emergency, I'd say he shouldn't stop. But since they had a "Donut Emergency," that's one he/she should've stopped for. Sometimes the police here don't put their sirens on when they're headed someplace, I guess so they don't get the person who's causing the problems attention so they get away. Maybe there was a fight at Dunkin' Donuts? If he does go through during an emergency, he should atleast go through your flashers slowly.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  6:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus_man65

if you heard an emergency vehicle coming close to the stop our bus would not but the light on until the emergency vehicle passes.

Same here-I hear 'em coming I cancel the warning lights and pull over and redo the whole process after the emergency vehicle goes by. Only if I am stopped and the student is in the road do I stick to ma guns.

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  7:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know this is off topic, but here in TN, sometimes a state trooper will not turn his or her lights and siren on so they don't get attention. (I know this for a fact since how a friend of mine is a state trooper.)

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

BPS_Driver
Advanced Member

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  03:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Send BPS_Driver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In Michigan,
In the event that an emergency vehicle approaches a school bus with the red warning lights activated they are only required to slow their speed and proceed with caution without stopping. Also, it is stated school bus driver's must watch their mirrors constantly to monitor the students, vehicles, etc.. thus preventing a child from getting hit.

In Michigan, once you turn your red warning lights off you may not reactivate them. I liek that law because if the kids are not there you must proceed on and cannot wait.

23 Million safe deliveries a day by all of us
Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  07:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the state of Kansas the law reads:
When a school bus is stopped to load & unload students untilizing the flashing red lamps and with stop sign extended the following procedure should be followed:

If students have not begun to approach the bus to load or if the students are still on board the bus during unloading, the bus driver shall signal to the students to remain where they are. Once the driver has signaled to the students, the bus door may be closed, retracting the stop sign and de-activating the flashing red lamps to allow the emergency vehicle to pass.

If students are in the roadway to load the bus or have disembarked from the bus when unloading, then the driver should leave the stop arm extended and flashing red lights activated and the emergency vehicle must stop.

It goes on to say we can't wave an emergency vehicle through our lights. We must cancel the red lights & stop light before they can go through.

I called our sheriff to report a deputy who ran our lights. The deputy was reprimanded and made to come and apoligize to the driver and me.

96 Amtran RE, the rules for this should be in your Regulations, Statutes, Standards and Guidlines book from the state. Ask your T/D about it. He or she should have a book.

If the officer didn't have his lights and siren on, I would say he is definitely required to stop. Have your T/D call and report him.
Even if he had his lights on, according to our state law, he can't run our lights. A police officer going through our lights can kill a child as easily as anyone.

I teach Defensive Driving to bus drivers in my state. I have found that many are not as familiar with the state laws governing school buses as they probably should be. Particuarly, the ones you don't deal with all the time. I'm not knocking the bus drivers. How many are going to sit and read the full rules and reg book for your state. (Some have never even seen one) It is not exactly interesting reading. I believe it is the person in charge's job to see that you know all the rules and regs for your state and the policies for your particular school. A lot of employees don't take time to fully read the hand book either.

I drove a bus for years and didn't know some of the more obscure rules and regs. When I became a driver trainer, I felt it was my job to know them all. When I became T/D, I felt it was my job to see that all the drivers were more familiar with them.

We have regular safety meetings and I include the rules and regs and policies in the safety meetings so the drivers will have the opportunity to know all the rules and regs.
Our school does pay the drivers for attending the safety meetings and any training classes.
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  07:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A police officer running the red lights.... now that tops it all. Folks who are susposed to uphold the law, breaks the law and puts a childs life in danger.

You should have gotten his car number and reported him. No matter if they have lights on or not, if you are already loading/unloading, they should stop.

Here is the procedure in SC: (From our Handbook)

If an emergency vehicle approaches while you are loading or unloading and the students are on the bus, you should keep them on the bus, deactivate the warning lights and activate the hazard lights. Wait until the emergency vehicle has passes and then continue the loading or unloading procedure. If the students are NOT on the bus, continue the loading or unloading process, making certain that the emergency vehicle has stopped for your stop arm. After the students are safely loaded or unloaded, deactivate the warning lights and activate the hazard lights, waiting for the emergency vehicle to pass before continuing your route.

----

STOP MEANS STOP - NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  4:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busdrver4jesus

Folks who are susposed to uphold the law, breaks the law and puts a childs life in danger.

That's the way it is. I see police not using their signal to change lanes and this guy changed lanes 3 times in one block with no signals!!

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  6:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

quote:
Originally posted by busdrver4jesus

Folks who are susposed to uphold the law, breaks the law and puts a childs life in danger.

That's the way it is. I see police not using their signal to change lanes and this guy changed lanes 3 times in one block with no signals!!

I see cops speeding, not using their turn signal, and parking in a FIRE LANE at Wal-Mart. Last weekend, a police officer was thinking about giving my dad a ticket for parkking on a FIRE LANE, but my dad was waiting on my mother and she had a lot of groceries and other stuff and it was very cold. Anyways, that police officer was parked on the concrete where they push the buggies in.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 92FrdCarp#11

I see cops speeding, not using their turn signal, and parking in a FIRE LANE at Wal-Mart. Last weekend, a police officer was thinking about giving my dad a ticket for parkking on a FIRE LANE, but my dad was waiting on my mother and she had a lot of groceries and other stuff and it was very cold. Anyways, that police officer was parked on the concrete where they push the buggies in.

Yep. They can do that. If ya look real close at the car they're driving-usually you will see a tiny sticker somewheres on it in really fine print that says "I'm a cop-You're not.-THAT's why."

We got cops around my neck of the woods that drive like the Dukes of Hazzard- (We even had one that used to drive around with the theme from the TV show "COPS" blaring on his tape deck), but we really don't wanna call 'em on it because the cops around here call that "failing the attitude test".
Then they tend to make life difficult for ya awhile after-and these cops got long memories.

We figure the job can be hard enough without a rabid police officer trackin' ya.

Unfortunately, someone will probably have to get clobbered before any serious enforcement happens.

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"

Edited by - YardBird on 02/14/2004 3:55:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  5:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are tons of great police officers, and in any profession, a bad apple will spoil the bunch. In any profession where you are driving, be it a police duty or driving a bus, there CANNOT be the bad apples. It must be trained out. We have a fleet of great bus drivers, but I have noticed some less than desirable cops driving around. No signals, speeding, etc etc. They should be setting an example, for goodness sake! I esspcially enjoy being cut off by them and later rear ended. Yeah, it's happened to me.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000