DT466 vs. DT466 High Torque
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  3:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at the International Navistar website comparing engines and something stuck me as odd.
They offer both the DT466 and the DT466 High Torque. Now I understand that in "base" form the High Torque version does offer more standard torque, but if you opt for a higher end verison of either engine, the torque numbers are the same as are the rated RPMs. In fact the regular DT466 in higher end form has more horsepower.
The only difference I can see in the engines is the governed speed. Its 200 RPMs higher on the regular DT466 at 2600 RPMs versus 2400RPMs for the High Torque version respectively.
Is this the advantage? And if it is, please explain how. Thanks

Edited by - GMCBlueBird83 on 01/12/2004 11:20:52 AM

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody?
Go to Top of Page

BusBabe1036

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are MANY differences between a standard torque and High Torque DT466E. Although some horsepower ratings appear similar, the torque ratings increase dramatically with the High Torque Engine. As we all should know, it is Torque ratings that determine performance (i.e. acceleration), horsepower ratings determine the ability to maintain a certian speed under load. But, be careful when you specify your engine torque. Allison will only certify their A2000 transmission up to 560 ft. lbs. of Torque. Above that, you have to order a MD3060. That is about a $5,000.00 option!!! As far as parts differences between the std. and high Torque DT466E goes, it differs in the bottom end. Heavier crank, balancer, and a two piece piston design. Fuel Injection, Cylinder head, and block design are the same. There is lots of info on this at Internationals web site. www.internationaldelivers.com Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000