how tall is a bus ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  4:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i just saw a post in safty forum and i have always wondered this too.
all buses tell you how many it can hold, how long it is but none tell you how tall it is......

so if you know please tell ... how tall is a bus

Edited by - macondriver on 08/08/2003 4:20:27 PM

NewBee Driver

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  5:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always wondered that myself. They always told me in training be aware of the hight of overpasses, but I was never told how tall my bus is.

Driving Seattle To School - And Loving It!!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  7:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I don't have the answer to this but it reminds me of the few times over the years that kids have for whatever reason asked me, "how long is this bus?" "how tall is this bus" "how wide is this bus?" the last question being asked when driving through very narrow lanes in construction.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

DURHAMIZED

55 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  7:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most buses are 10 1/2 feet in height, keep in mind though, you have excape hatches on top which can add 4 inches or so. I would never attempt to drive any bus under an overpass less than 11 feet. Also the width is usually approximately 8 to 9 feet, again keeping in mind your mirrors add to your actuall width. I would never attempt any narrow lane smaller than 11 feet as well.
I might not always now the exact measurment but I do know the smallest amount I would attempt. Both cases 11 feet. Freightliners are actually slightly taller than an International, so thats why each individual is important. The same thing goes with weight. I would not attempt any bridge with a posted weight limit smaller than 12 tons if loaded, 11 - if empty.
Those are the amounts I stick with personally.
If all else fails, get your measuring tape out & figure it - its something that could come back & bite you some day.
Good Luck:)
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  9:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm lost!! Every bus I've seen, or at least every school bus that is used from the company I work for- states the height of the bus, right above the entrance door. My bus is 10 feet 6 inches, or something like that!

Plus the roof hatches.
Go to Top of Page

charwood

12 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  9:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUR BLUEBIRD FE ALL AMERICANS ARE 10FT. 5 INS. TALL WITH THE ESCAPE HATCH/VENT OPENED. OF COURSE EACH BUS MAY BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  10:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen the height posted on a bus, but I know that our Blue Bird/Internationals with roof hatches are 10' 6" with the hatches closed, 10' 8" with them open. That's printed in our training manual.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  10:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

I've never seen the height posted on a bus

Maybe each state has different requirments. They put the height of the bus in big black numbers right above the front door. How are you supposed to know if you can make an underpass? Is the height listed on the registration inside the bus?
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  10:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 96 Amtran RE

I'm lost!! Every bus I've seen, or at least every school bus that is used from the company I work for- states the height of the bus, right above the entrance door.

If your bus doesn't have this posted, it might be a good idea to do so. Atleast that way you will know what it is when or if this kind of a situation ever comes up. Even if YOU know the height of your bus, someone else driving it may not (substitutes or other drivers who may use your bus on trips).

We have a train underpass on one of our roads we travel. It's only one lane and vehicles have to take turns using it. Height isn't a problem as much as width is. There's probably about a foot, if that, on both sides of you when you go through it in a school bus. But coming out of it is what you have to watch for. After you come out, the road curves sharp left, and you have to watch your tail swing. But if you go back through the tunnel from this direction, you have to swing on the opposite side of the road to get your bus lined up just right in order to go back through it. Not a safe situation, but there's no other way around it.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have never seen the height posted anywhere on any bus i have drove...

but it should be

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Posted - 08/09/2003 : 3:13:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most full size buses are around 10-10.5 feet tall. I know of no bus mfgs. that routinely post their height.
My A/C RE units with Sutrak and Carrier rooftop evaporators are around 11-11.5.
Joe
i got this reply when i posted the question on garage forum from WAGONMASTER.

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  5:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's a state thing. All MA school buses I have seen have the height of them posted on the roof either on the left or right side at the front of the bus. Our buses are 10'6".
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  08:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got questions about school buses? Check out our School Bus FAQ! https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/school-bus-faq
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000