New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  10:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that Blue Bird has the new Outword Black Bird doors that are all glass w/the black frames. Can you get them with the yellow frames in stead of the black?

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just think that they look much better with the yellow frames.

Blue Bird 39--For Ever!

Edited by - Bus Boy on 06/20/2001 10:56:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  11:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know that Blue Bird has the new Outword Black Bird doors that are all glass w/the black frames. Can you get them with the yellow frames in stead of the black?

Yes. I am most certainly sure that you can get them in yellow as well. The only thing about the yellow doors is that dirt will show up easier than it would on the black doors. I myself prefer the black doors, but then again, the yellow doors are easier to see.

Anyway, I have seen the yellow outward opening entrance door (newer style--instead of the standard black ones) on Blue Bird Micro-Birds, a few pictures that I saw of International 3800 conventionals, and I also have seen a few in my area... in the state of MA.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you can get it with the yellow. I have a picture I took of a Blue Bird International with the yellow trim on the door instead of black.

Edited by - BlueBird44 on 06/20/2001 12:39:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  12:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes you can get it with the yellow. I have a picture I took of a Blue Bird International with the yellow trim on the door instead of black.

Tyler-Formly known as Wayne Lifeguard.

The pic didn't show up.

"Bus 39--For Ever!"
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  3:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen on Bluebirds that the black doors are an illusion. The black combined with tints on the windows make the bus seem like the doors have full glass. I rode a BB like that once.

Go to Top of Page

AmTranIntFE01

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, when we first got our first Blue Bird TC/2000 in 1995 with the new black entrance door, I thought I was losing my mind. I couldn't see it! When I got closer, I laughed to myself. Yeah, they are okay, but I like the yellow better.

Will
aka International110
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  7:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen more buses in my area with the yellow doors than the black ones. So yes, you can still get them. Personally, I like the yellow ones better, maybe because it's what I've been used to for so long. Plus they just look better.

Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2001 :  9:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK kids...

While we're discussing doors here... We have the "jack-knife" or "bifold" and the outward opening doors... Here is the $64,000 question:

What do you call the old type where one opened IN and one opened OUT? (And for those of you who think you're really going to win $64,000 -- GET REAL! I don't make that much in two years! :) hehe)

Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  05:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK kids...

While we're discussing doors here... We have the "jack-knife" or "bifold" and the outward opening doors... Here is the $64,000 question:

What do you call the old type where one opened IN and one opened OUT? (And for those of you who think you're really going to win $64,000 -- GET REAL! I don't make that much in two years! :) hehe)

Mr Bus Driver

They are called "Innies and Outies." I dunno.

"Bus 39--For Ever!"
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  07:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are now called INOUTWARD opening doors- I am making it official- I have the power to do that you know!

As for regular doors I either refer to them as inward or outward opening doors- that seems to be the easiest.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  08:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What do you call the old type where one opened IN and one opened OUT?

I remember the term "split doors" being used by one of the drivers I hang out with.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only have seen the split doors on Carpenter buses. Where they on others too?

"Bus 39--For Ever!"
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  12:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to School Bus Explorer, you'll see that a lot of the older buses had the split doors. I think I remember seeing an old Blue Bird or two on there with that style door. I've also ridden on a few Superiors (back in the day) that had the split doors.

Go to Top of Page

AmTranIntFE01

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only one I've ever seen was either a 1979 or a 1980 Ward that had that door. I think they were popular back then because even in movies that have that kind when they are referring to some of the older buses. Then, of course, they started making the folding doors.

Will
aka International110
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I always thought those were a Superior thing...I saw an old superior on the highway a few days ago that had been converted to a camper, and they were driving with the door open! ouch!

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2001 :  06:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the yellow doors much better because they blend in with the rest of the bus. The black ones stick out too much. You eye goes strait to the door instead of the bus. Now, when they're open, I imagine that they blend in with the scenery more then the yellow door due to they are such a dark color compared to yellow.

"Bus 39--For Ever!"
Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2001 :  12:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are now called INOUTWARD opening doors- I am making it official- I have the power to do that you know!

As for regular doors I either refer to them as inward or outward opening doors- that seems to be the easiest.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."

I thought about dubbing them "Confused" doors... the just don't know which way to go! :) GOOD SUGGESTIONS... Innies/Outies and Inoutwards... I guess they probably didn't call them anything really because at one time it looked like those were standard over the bifold or outwards

Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2001 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message  Send Ricky a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
On Ward buses, the door that openend 1/2 in and 1/2 out was called a "split-leaf" door. It was standard on Ward buses until around 1977. The other types of doors were optional. I know that at least beginning in 1978 all Ward buses came standard with the "jacknife" door. I also know that all of our old Superior buses had the "split leaf" door, but the last Superior buses that we bought (1977 models) had the jacknife doors. I don't know about any of the other manufacturers.

Stephen R. Adamson (AmTran11)
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2001 :  11:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The outward opening doors seem to be the norm now. But I like the jacknife doors. Our lot is small, and you can park buses closer together without the door hanging open all the time. People of large stature can appreciate this predicament, I think.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2001 :  3:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bus Boy,
Your state spec's certain things on a School Bus and depending on what your state specs are about the color of the door is why you see some black and some yellow.
The 1/2 IN and 1/2 OUT doors are called Spilt Leaf, and just about every manufacture had them! I also remember them on Superior's alot! I Hope I wow the $64,000's!!...lol

Kevin "Blue Bird Rules"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000