ICE-SCHOOL-SNOW-NO SCHOOL!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stock-albany-220

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  12:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is it that when there is ice on the road that the schools either stay open or just be delayed a couple of hours but yet when there is only about 3 inches of snow on the roads they shut the school down for the day. what is wrong with this picture. i went to school that seemed to never shutdown during the winter no matter how bad the roads were even an all ice road coud not shut the school down. does anybody know the answer to this problem.
is it the money or does the schools actually truly care for the so called "well being of the childs safety" inmind or is it they just want the state money know matter how bad it gets because whether it snows or rains or even ices we have the biggest responsability to bring those student to school and home safely.
RIVE SAFE AND BE COOL!

busdriver1115

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  3:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is the amount of time the State says you have to be in school and if you miss to many days it extends your school year! We have to go 180 school days every year! There was one case a couple of years ago when we had a winter storm going on as we left the bus barn all the other schools in town were closed and many of our buses didn't even get to their first stops due to ice on hills etc. Then when some of us almost got to the high school they announced to take the students home! Then of course the bus goes wild cause no school! The thing about this one was a two hour delay would have worked and prevented any of the problems.Our township tries to do two hour delays than to close school.It has been two years since we had one! I hope this helps you!

2001 International FE 84 Passenger
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  5:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ice is one thing our district doesn't mess around in, we're pretty good at driving in snow, six inches of snow doesn't even cancel for us usually unless it's blowing and drifting. Ice is a pain to drive in and is very very very easy to lose control of a bus on. We are a rural district with many dirt roads, a two hour delay doesn't cut it for that, the wednesday before break we had the day off do to ice, I went out at 12:30 and the gravel roads were still icy.

Many schools hesitate to close for the day for the fact that we are only allowed two snow days, the rest we must make up by either canceling a scheduled 4 day weekend, or adding days to the end of the year.

"I'd rather pull my kids around in a 77 passenger Radio Flyer than drive a Blue Bird."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  7:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Many schools hesitate to close for the day for the fact that we are only allowed two snow days,
ONLY 2 !!! We get 6 here in the secondary snowbelt of Northeastern Ohio. We're never off. A foot of snow doesn't stop us!
quote:
The city doesn't plow. They were putting salt down--what a slippery mess that was!

Most cities try not to plow to reduce the wear and tear of the trucks. Although you may not know, but plowing is really hard on a truck, so the cities try to salt first and plow only if they absolutely have too! This came straight from my uncle, a mechanic for my city's fleet of vehicles. So if you were wondering why that is this is why!
Greg Hovan

Now is the time of year when all buses have white tops!
Visit the school bus garage http://schoolbusgarage.tripod.com

Edited by - Thomasfan89 on 01/10/2003 7:05:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000