I need some advice about work this is a long note
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2021 :  10:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to come to the group for some advice and maybe some of you have done the same thing . Wednesday I was told I needed to fix one of our TC's because it wold get a service engine light . my boss thought fuel filters so I changed them out and took bus for a test drive . Came back to the shop and noticed a rainbow where I had been . Pulled into the shop and saw diesel coming for under bus .The valve that you open to drain diesel didn't close all the way > shut it off and went to find my boss . I told her what happened and she told me while she was out walking and she smelled it but saw it that's why she called my shop phone ? I had a radio . Then Thursday I was told about a bus having issue and they were short a bus . The boss told me the one bus I fixed had some of my tools in it . So they didn't get to use that bus .My boss needed buses and we had one that was parked because a driver said it was lose belt .I looked at and belt was good . The noise was turbo hose leak . So I jumped out of bus to get some tools . I went in and heard a crash I forgot to set the park brake .The bus rolled into the shop taking out the door . My boss checked it out and left . when I did see her she told that it was decided to send me home and come back on Monday .I called my boss this morning and asked about my job . I was told I couldn't come back and that the Sup was sending me a registered letter I asked why and she wouldn't say . So I called the sup and he told me the same thing . Also to get a hold of my union rep and set up a meeting day next week What are the thoughts of all my accidents The second thing we have 14 buses and 7 support vehicles along with numerous grounds vehicles and a flat bed to take care . I am all alone doing this work . Only 3 of the buses are newer and don't need much . Is this too much for me ? Do you think I will only get a reprimand . I have been doing this for 41 years with hardly blemished record I have been here for just over 7 years Thanks

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  06:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that you had a few bad days.
A little advice an ole timer gave me when I was young.
"When your in a big hot hurry, slow your arse down."
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  09:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, lots to assume from just your post. First, as above, sorry to hear your trouble. Hear is my two cents that don't mean anything. I am a retired Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor of 40.5 years for a school district. 32 of those years as the supervisor. Many things can be discussed of the past, but the issue is the current situation.

Let me say up front, I don't want to be seen as a guy piling on a guy when he is down. You asked the question, and I just want to be straight forward.

It seems to me that they have come to the conclusion that you have become a safety risk to the operation. Right or wrong, who knows. My guess is they will try to bring up others things to justify their position. Again, right or wrong, who knows. Them going the route you stated above, my gut feeling is leading towards termination. Hard to say with no knowledge of your union agreements and such. My free advise is worth about what you paid me. Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  11:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way . My union rep is going with me . She told me the letter that they are sending by registered male says they just want to meet . Last month I got a letter of warning because I yelled at 2 employees With diesel spill EPA was called into that . When I tried talking to my boss she was rather cold and distant and passed the buck to the superintendent . I have been having family issues and trying to hurry with my work because every day I am told how many vehicles need work and when am I getting them fixed because we are in a world of hurt I have a fleet of 14 buses 70% percent are 16 plus years old with almost 200 thousand males . Everyday I have 4 or 5 write ups that need attention . Some weeks I have to drive PM runs and sometime midday runs I was going to fast and should have slowed down . My daughter works in the same district and thinks if they wanted me gone they would have just brought me in and fired me . I offered to go in for a drug test and was turned down . I also don't understand why they won't let me come back and work until we meet ? They told me not to come in next week at all . In the meantime there is no driver or mechanic
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  7:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The proverbial "Rock and a Hard Spot. What I can tell you is, they already have a game plan and it is going forward. If the worst case scenario is what happens, (getting fired), then think about what that means, and have your next move.

There is only a few scenario's that could be coming down. If you have a plan or next move already thought out, it may help with the waiting game. The sun will come up tomorrow and we move on. Time to become a professional fisherman.

Thoughts and prayers. I hope the best for you.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2021 :  8:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you 40ngone what bothers me is there are lot of drivers that do thousands of dollars to a bus and never hear anything . My boss included . When you say they have a plan ? What exactly do you mean ? What bothers me is there is very little need for bus mechanics in my area . I think in all in all the districts there are maybe 5 mechanics .There is bus co-op that takes away all the work from districts in my county I am 62 years old too young for retirement and too old to move on . Tried that and never even get an interview . I used to think my boss was great now I wonder
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  05:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear both of your situations, I only want to wish you both luck and braveness to whatever the result of your suspension is.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
Here is what I mean by them having a plan. Clearly they have talked about you, the situation. They have to decided, in their opinion, if you are a risk to the operation. I believe that they have decided that already and are moving forward with the "Plan", or procedures from here on out. What their intent is, time will tell.

In discipline, or termination, they will dot every I, cross every T, and protect themselves of a law suit or anything that will fall back on them. By having a registered letter from the Superintendent and telling you not to return to work for the week, they have lined up a planned sequence of events to take place.

I really hope it is not termination. I can also tell you stories about departmental unfairness. Hell, district unfairness. I have seen people get away with incredible things. Remember, take a real deep breath, work your way through this, jump through every hoop, and this will pass.
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  12:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hang in there guy, it is going to be difficult for a while but just keep calm and state your case. Sounds like your boss may have some unreasonable expectations of can and can't be done in a limited number of hours. Tough to be wrenching when you are running students. They need to learn that some jobs go down the crapper and take time. Welcome to fleet operations. Hopefully they keep you and then face reality and get you some help or another bus or two so you have a spare.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2021 :  6:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I got the same feeling as 40ngone. Looking at your numbers, I can feel you're overwhelmed. That's a lot of vehicles to maintain, let alone drive as well. Our mechanics have about 22 buses each. We've been ordering new buses for the last 5 years and phasing out the old ones. With new buses come new problems and headaches. There is not less work, just electrical instead of mechanical. We are having a hard time keeping up as well, and we don't work on maintenance equipment. I wish you the best. I know you've posted a wealth of information on this forum to help us out and I appreciate that. Don't let the bad days overshadow the good.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pull the mental card , like all 20 - 30 year olds pull
"I'm not comfortable with that" blah,blah
or see your doctor before your meeting and be put on mental leave, due to working conditions, or stress from the lives that are dependent on your skills to get them to and from school on a safe bus , our job is very stressfull, I'm in a small town so my and all my friends kids lives are on my shoulders when they travel on the bus except for driver error , but with all accidents they look at the equipment first

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was terminated made me wait a whole week t o hear that . My boss thru me under the bus . I was told the reasons but they were so far off base . When I tried to talk about it my union rep this sin't the place and we will go to court . My email was cut off and my boss won't even talk to me My wife this morning had emergency surgery for a life threatning situation and I went to the meeting to be terminated Shes laying in a hospital and I am trying to save my job for what happy easter
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  3:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am truly sorry to hear any of this. I pray for your wife and you brother. Keep your head up, and don't look back. Right now breath deep and be by your wife's side.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2021 :  4:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was terminated made me wait a whole week t o hear that . My boss thru me under the bus . I was told the reasons but they were so far off base . When I tried to talk about it my union rep this sin't the place and we will go to court . My email was cut off and my boss won't even talk to me My wife this morning had emergency surgery for a life threatning situation and I went to the meeting to be terminated Shes laying in a hospital and I am trying to save my job for what happy easter
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't been around and missed this unfolding. Please keep us updated on everything, including the wife.

Welcome to the club. I joined it in January of 2005. Being run off is never a good feeling at the time, but it seems like more often than not, it ends up being a blessing in disguise.

I can't tell you how many people have told me "everything happens for a reason" and I haven't been able to prove them wrong yet. Even the crappy stuff....it all leads somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  9:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for input and wishes for my wife . I went to work to pickup all my tools and belongings . The district had a maintenance person there in the shop . He was to make sure tools didn't develop legs with some of the tools . The district had gotten into my desk and removed anything they think didn't belong to me . My union has filed a grievance against the district . I also wrote a board member and her first response was did he give me a chance to tell my side of things . I told her no One morning we got a call from the state patrol saying they picked up one of our drivers because she had been drinking . So we were told not to let her drive . Guess what nothing done to the driver by the district The transportation dept is so screwed that drivers get away with stuff . My boss has only been a supervisor for 3 years and is always coming to me because for 35 years I was supervisor
Now my wife is doing better Saturday night she rallied . No more talk of en of life for her yesterday we had a nurse put a cell phone in front of her . She moved her head and it was so great . Today they will move her out of ICU and Tuesday we might hear her speak !!! I ask my daughters how will I tell her what the district has done . Their response was my wife will be proud no matter which way this goes
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2021 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My wife was doing better and at 6 AM she had a heart attack and was put back on the ventilater .They are not sure how much damage was done to her heart .The union has filed a grievance with my school dist This is so hard to deal with thank you all for your thoughts . Today my daughter took some of my keys back to the district and my boss was there wouldn't look at her or speak just walked away
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  1:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This hurts me just reading about it. I'm sorry you are going through all of this, and at the same time. I also believe everything happens for a reason. Stay strong and that reason will be revealed in time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000