Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have about 3 units that have a oil leak front driver side
There is a frost plug installed in hole , it has two threaded holes next to it. I would say this is where an oil fill tube would be installed in another vehicle application.
You would pull the plug and it is cracked from the inside out then leaks oil( should say it weeps oil not really a leak)
Anyone seen this yet, no fix from Cummins can be found.
I would drill the crack end , either weld or JB WELD it , re-install frost plug, fill with epoxy and utilize the two threaded holes with a patch that will cover the whole meal deal.
Now before people say "JB WELD" "Epoxy" thats how IH was fixing their block issue(maxxforce) , Detroit DD"s had the same fix until they came out and threaded the hole and installed a plug

TRex

89 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  10:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit TRex's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blue, I think you will be fine. Non pressure area. In the 80's we had a new DT that started "weeping" out of the side of the block. Porous casting. We were told to short block it. Customer wanted to run the truck while we rounded up parts. Sprayed it out good with brake clean and put plain old silicone on it. Ran for a week, never leaked a drop. After replacement the old block sat around here for a few years. Parts finally sold it, with an explanation, to somebody. They put it in and it ran for years!!
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  09:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I figured but try telling a suit(manager) that lol

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think you could get away with JB if things were ground down and cleaned well. I'd say it will outlast the bus. Anyone (Suit or not) with commons sense would see this fix as not perfect but a heck of a labor savings and at the very least, worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, what are you out? Maybe a couple hours and a 10 dollar bill (or less) for the JB.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  08:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a bunch of Cummins leaking oil out the freeze plug. They use some of those for turbo oil return. Cummins of Rocky Hill has fixed all of them under warranty for us. I was told they didn't use a sealer on the freeze out plug. Just about ever time a bus goes there for some type of warranty work we have them do that while its there. take a pic and send to service writer. Look also by where they mount trans to engine or coming out the wheep hole. We have had rear ones leak also that you cant see till you pull trans
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2020 :  09:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few of these leak in our fleet but I haven't noticed or seen a cracked block yet. What I've been doing is popping the plug out, cleaning the area and reinstalling it with Loctite. So far, no return leaks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000