Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2006 VT365 high oil pressure leak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  6:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, 2006 Vt365 unable to build higher than 500PSI while cranking, replace IPR, HPOP didnot help, do high oil pressure system leak down test, from IPR port get in shop air 150PSI, cannot hear anywhere leaking, keep pressure 150PSI for whole day, drop to 140PSI, any idea how to find out leak? Thanks

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  05:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you switch out the ICP sensor from a good known bus?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  05:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, also verify that you are getting low pressure oil to your oil filter. Next are you sure that the HPOP is being driven by the gears on the back of the motor?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, RonF, I switched ICP sensor from other bus and even unplug ICP to try, both of ways didnot make any different, and I got low pressure oil full of my oil filter, the HPOP is gears driven by camshaft and it located back of the engine, just under the turbo. One thing I am not sure is I drained all the engine oil from oil pan to be able to do air leaking test, but the oil gallery which just under oil filter and oil cooler still full of oil, is that normal? my oil pan cap is open, why the oil doesnot drain down, still keep same level inside oil gallery?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  04:32:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how they are gear driven but they were notorious for stripping and breaking gears on the back of the engine. I'm not sure about the oil still being in the galley. I don't think that would have anything to do with your issus.
Just curious, why did you drain the engine oil to do the leak test? I've never done that.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

namao

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  06:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit namao's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Peter we use to do a lot of 6.0 but not lately. Here is a post I did a while back with how we check for the high pressure side on 6.0 466 7.3 etc. works good and you know for sure you high side is solid and has no leaks. The 150 psi test is okay for large leaks I found but to really test it high pressure is better. If it pasts this test you have a pump, supply, mechanical issue or icp issue. Here is a copy of the post. On a 466 I bypass pump and hook right to head, on a 6.0 I use a 9 volt square battery to close ipr or on fords use the ids scanner.

Hello sounds like your leaning to engine slow to build the 500 psi hpop pressure needed to start, which it sounds like. Here is a copy of a response I have done in past in regards to using a port power on these engines to verifie no leaks under v/c. Its a pass or no pass test basically. The response was for a no start but works or your issue as well. To get set up one porta power and getting hose made up from hydraulic shop. No guess work, it eliminates any leak issues under v/c. Here is the link I posted couple years ago.

Hello, first thing I would do is unplug icp and try to start, it should go to a default duty cycle on the ipr and start if there is no mechanical problems. If it does not start either no oil to hpop pump, hpop pump is bad, ipr is bad or there is a leak under the v/c. Next thing we would do same as said before by one member is, we have a porta power set up to test under v/c systems for holding pressure [for 7.3/6.0 and 466] works really slick just hook up to head connection and it should give you 1500 to 2000 psi within a couple pumps and hold above 500 for a extended period of time. Under the valve cover as well as the pucks you could have a injector leaking, pull v/c cover and crank if there is a leak should be able to visialy see. This is where the porta power helps it either holds or it doesn't. If there is no leaks and you have a good supply of oil from engine it needs a hpop pump. We did one on a truck couple weeks ago and hot no start and it was the pump could go either way though. good luck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000