04 FE 300 won't turn over
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  08:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have got a 04 IC FE 300 with a dt 466 . It won't turn over with the key . I checked relay and it is good . So I am thinking neutral switch .Could it be anything else such as a fuse ? We installed a new ignition switch a few months ago don't think that is it .Will turn over by bypassing the relay

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  12:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always check the fuses.

Is the relay getting power when you turn the key? I would think (but don't have a schematic in front of me,) that the relay would be in line after the neutral safety switch. If the relay is getting voltage with key turn, then I believe that goes straight to the starter.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  1:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's just it no voltage to the relay from the ignition
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  9:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valleybusman you left out some important information. Is this a DT466E or a DT466EGR engine? Did you verify you have good relays and proper voltage to the relays and did you check the wiring from the Battery to the relays? Also check for bad connections near the starter. A known problem with the IC FE buses.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  06:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry , it is a 466 egr . There is good voltage to the relay What's missing is the ground and any power to turn the relay on . I have checked all the fuses and the starter connections are good . I checked power at the switch and when I try to turn bus on at the switch I have power .I guess after writing this it sounds like a no brainer neutral switch ? Just want to make sure ?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  06:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you checked your interlocks? I have had them before where it makes enough of a connection to kill the buzzer, but not enough to disengage the starter interlock.
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  5:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you mean it doesnot crank at all when you turn the key? or crank doesnot start?
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  04:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't turn when you turn the key . I found a bad mechanical neutral switch
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  05:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter2019

you mean it doesnot crank at all when you turn the key? or crank doesnot start?

Terminology can be a killer.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000