Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 door does not work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  9:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. My door would sometimes work. Flipping the switch from auto to manual would do something but no longer. Now the door opens by itself while driving. I am a very mechanically inclined person and what drives me nuts is that I simply cannot get the information I need to learn how the door works. There is simply nothing on the internet which explains door operation.
thanks

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  03:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make, model and year of bus. Air or electric. I see that you are new member so here is some information about school buses.
There are roughly 500,000 school bus on the road every day, so that means there are literally thousands of combinations of spec we are dealing with. So please if you need help, state those basic facts in your opening and what you have done in the way of troubleshooting.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  10:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry: IC CE300 2005, pneumatic doors.thank you

3005 IC bus CE300, DT466e engine, alison transmission, 206k miles
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  05:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most common fault to what you are describing is the dump switch. Auto/manual switch on the side of the dash. Look and see if the wires came out.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

WrenchMonkeyCSISD

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Most common fault to what you are describing is the dump switch. Auto/manual switch on the side of the dash. Look and see if the wires came out.

That switch is a horrible design, you can swap it out with a 2-position toggle switch and probably never have another issue.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  5:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WrenchMonkeyCSISD

quote:
Originally posted by RonF

That switch is a horrible design, you can swap it out with a 2-position toggle switch and probably never have another issue.

Yes, the OE switch does suck. We swaped ours with the Cole Herse 5582-10 that has the rubberized coating that keeps the wires from pulling out,or breaking off, of the back of the switch.
Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  8:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:so I think the switch is fine. In the compartment above the door right on top of the air cylinder where the air hoses attach and where you adjust the closing and opening speed there are 2 relays (I think) with tiny red and black wires. I cut the red wires. When I apply power to each only one of them clicks.

Also, on the bottom of these relays are tiny orange buttons. When I press each of them and them press the black button on the thing right next to the pressure regulator then the door opens or, respectively, closes properly.

I am thinking it cannot be the one relay alone otherwise the door would be either stay closed or open (and not be limp in whatever position the switch is). (but where can I buy that part anyway). What's next? Thank you

Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quick question:

Is it a 2004 DT466EGR engine or a 2003 and older DT466E engine (they are not the same)?

If you have the door control switches in the steering wheel this could be an issue. They are know to go bad. Basically the door switch sends a signal to the BCM telling it what to do. The BCM controls the door operation by telling the air door cylinder valve which way to switch air. I have seen ground issues cause issues with the doors as well as a bad BCM. If you suspect a BCM issue and you have a "twin" bus then swap out BCM's and see if the problem follows the module or or stays with the bus. our buses came with the two position toggle switch and we have had only a handful go bad after 15 years.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  11:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. dt466e.
I am appalled that the door control goes through the computer. My solution is easy: track the steering wheel wires (no wiring diagram unfortunately) and connect them directly to the air door cylinder valves. By the way, where can i buy such item? I am well north of Seattle. Thank you

Go to Top of Page

stevie

1 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  02:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
electric doors stopped working??? whitch fuse or relay to check and under hood or in driver compartment
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000