Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 dt 466 low power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2019 :  08:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bus has intermittent low power check engine comes on vgt over duty cycle
bus intermittenty has poor acceleration , low power , wont build boost
if the key is cycled issue will go away so im thinking something to do with the vgt control wiring or computer possible ??
the turbo , egr,ebp map , injectors , icp and ipr have all been replaced in the past 6 months
--I checked the vgt connector looks fine
--it passes all tests when checked under normal operation
also earlier checked fuel housing and filter although thinking electrical type fault after issue was duplicated the way its acting
--any suggestions greatly appreciated

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  7:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You probably have failed turbocharger actuator, turn ignition on, watch turbo linkage, Linkage should move all the way out towards frame rail, move all the way back in towards engine, and move back out about half way. if not, you need replace actuator.
Go to Top of Page

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  5:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You haven't mentioned the year of the DT 466
And what was the code from the check engine light
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  06:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dt466 in a 2008 bus
yes I checked the actuator working fine when checked and the dtc was for vgt over duty cycle although turbo was replaced for this intermittent issue same dtc few months ago by another tech , the vgt over duty cycle just is saying there is power loss so vgt is set to over duty cycle to try to increase power , it can be a failed vgt but many times this is set due to the power loss not because its the cause of the power loss
--I also checked the vgt connector and wires and could not see a issue
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  07:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every time we get one with low power and no codes, we dump a couple quarts of ATF in the fuel tank and run it through. It has helped us in every case so far. I had a maxipad that was acting up, had a code for injectors, I tested them and three of the six showed that they were out of spec. I ran two quarts of ATF through the fuel tank, no lights or codes since and the power is back without issues.
Go to Top of Page

forbushd

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  3:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We’ve got some problems with some of our DT466 engines as well. They seem to have plenty of power once you’ve gotten off the line, but they’re really slow starting out, full of kids or empty. I’m wondering if it’s the turbo actuator (they’re the later models, 2011 and 2012, got twin turbos). Someone had suggested fuel filters clogging, but I don’t think so since they pick up once they’re started going.

Before I started working here, I drank, smoked, and used foul language for no reason at all. But, thanks to my job, I now have a reason.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmeyer92

Every time we get one with low power and no codes, we dump a couple quarts of ATF in the fuel tank and run it through. It has helped us in every case so far. I had a maxipad that was acting up, had a code for injectors, I tested them and three of the six showed that they were out of spec. I ran two quarts of ATF through the fuel tank, no lights or codes since and the power is back without issues.

interesting may have to give it a try im at a loss right now on what to do
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  05:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It ends up costing around $15, depending upon the ATF you run, but it's worth it in the scheme of things. And like I said, it's been working for us. The detergents help to clean everything up and relubricate everything.
Go to Top of Page

forbushd

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  3:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m not familiar with the timeline when IC added the DPF to the exhaust system. If you’ve got a DPF, I don’t know if you’d want to risk ruining it by putting ATF in it. If not, though, go for it.

Before I started working here, I drank, smoked, and used foul language for no reason at all. But, thanks to my job, I now have a reason.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  02:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not put ATF in fuel if unit has a DPF this will super heat and crack the insides of both DOC and DPF

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  04:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ATF has not hurt any of mine with DPF
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
still haven't gotten back to this one , yea so I do find that interesting about the atf but this seems to be a intermittent issue of low power no dtcs so cant say id try at this point although this one does not have a doc , dpf , thanks for the suggestions appreciate it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000