Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Blown head gasket?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  5:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello! I am working on a 2003 IC RE300 DT530. Problem is bus driver drove the bus after a coolant hose blew. Drove it at least 6 miles with no coolant in engine. Yes warning light on and temp gauge maxed out to hot. I would like to know how to confirm a bad head gasket. Bus still runs well, doesn't overheat, but it is losing coolant internally. Took an oil sample and it came back with coolant in the oil. Also did a combustion in coolant
test and the chemical came back positive (yellow). Is there anything else I can do? Want to make sure head gasket is blown before I dive in. Thanks.

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe head gasket but usually the liner o rings fail also on an overheat like that. Either way the head has to come off.
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  07:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does it get combustion in the coolant if the liner o rings fail?
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  10:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It shouldn't get combustion in the coolant from the liner o rings. To check them you can pull the oil pan and pressurize the cooling system. If they are leaking, you will be able to see it. This is one of those do I , don't I deals. You might get lucky and slap a head gasket on and be on your merry way. My luck would be that the o rings would start leaking 2 months later and get stuck pulling the head again.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  12:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
liner o-rings don't like getting hot, and I all but guarantee that these did. That is a lot of abuse from that driver.

If you are trying to keep this bus/engine a long time, I'd plan on doing the o-rings when you have the head off.

At this point, my company just drops in a reman or scraps the vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  07:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK thank you for the responses!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000