Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2012 MFDT pressurizing cooling system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2010 emission, (low mount egr cooler, twin turbo) keeps pressurizing the cooling system blowing coolant out the cap. WILL hold pressure with no external leaks over night, WILL NOT hold a vacuum. Run engine up to temp and have a fairly constant flow of air out of surge tank (hose into water filled container) used exhaust gas detection fluid, DID NOT CHANGE COLOR, twice. does not smell of exhaust either. On recommendation changed egr cooler anyway. same condition after cooler replacement. Swapped in another compressor to rule out a bad head gasket or cracked head there. Same conditions present. with out the detection fluid showing the presence of exhaust gases what am I missing?
Recap:
no coolant in last oil sample
detection fluid not changing color
new egr cooler
known good compressor
pressurizing condition still present
other than a head gasket what am I over looking??

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  1:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Granted it was a Cat C7...I never would have believed the fix if I didn't see it with my own eyes...the water pump was the culprit. It was sucking in air but not leaking out. Bizarre.

Pop off the belt and see if the issue stops.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  06:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that over the weekend. the bubbles take longer to appear with the belt off but are still present. waiting for some new detection fluid to arrive as mine was 9ish years old. just want to take that out of the equation too..
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  10:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These engines are known for the dropped liner condition ( which ends up being a head gasket failure) the block frets and when you rebuild you recut and add shims to bring liner back upto deck height

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  04:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did a DT466 2 years ago with same problem , head gasket let go, we had to shim the liners to get them within spec. As soon as you started it would pumped antifreeze out. I think we ended up building something to hold liners down and measure with dial indicator.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  09:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a couple of times where head gaskets would only leak while under load. The block check fluid wouldn't change color at idle or even at higher RPM's, but would overheat under load.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well after 30-40 miles of foot to the floor full load driving, it has not pushed any coolant out. Put it on a route tonight and we will see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  9:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We’ve had two buses with cracked cylinder heads.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000