Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PrestonBus

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  04:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2006 IC CE300 bus.

RH side mounted inside the cage.
Had the tank/ straps replaced due to corrosion. Work done by the Navistar dealer.
Since its return, the tank leaks from the filler cap.
Ive inspected the neck for damaged threads, and replaced the cap 3 times.
Checked the vent on top of tank, doesnt appear to be plugged. Blew air thru it and heard tank pressurizing.
At first, we suspected the driver was overfilling. but when its wet around the neck, taking the cap off reveals its full... not OVER full.

Anybody run into this before?
My next step is to remove the 2nd plug on top of the tank and run a 2nd vent hose.
Im a 1-Man operation and dont want to spend a lot to time checking a dealer's work, but I know if I send it back there, I wont see the bus for 3 weeks.

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  08:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all my older ones leak- all from overfilling. If you read the label on the tank, it only says to fill to a certain percentage- which should leave a lot of air and room for sloshing around.
Go to Top of Page

PrestonBus

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  11:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is 1 of 4 that have been done within the last 8 months. This one is the only Im having issues with.
Inspected again today, tank is only 80 percent full. Definitely not an overfill condition.Yet, still that damn drip on the bottom of the cap. Front of tank is soaked.
If it wasnt leaving puddles on the ground, and DMV likely to flag it during inspection, It'd be low priority...but...

Saving the World...One school bus at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  10:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even though you have checked the vent I would replace it. It not only vents air out but in as well. I believe vents have a check ball inside that seals off in the event of a rollover. If the tank is venting properly it should not pressurize.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000