Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Gas pedal code error hell - help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Douggy

2 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  10:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Douggy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back to the ultimate source - you guys - for help again.

2000 3800 DT466e, AT 545 tranny, 120K miles.

Since I got her, she runs well, but kicks down as soon as you touch the gas, resulting in a jerky driving experience. Basically, the transmission modulator is kicking in as soon as I touch the gas, instead of after it’s pressed down a ways - like about half way.

Codes I have coming up are:

111 – ECM – No fault

131 – APS/IVS - Accelerator Position Signal out of range LOW

123 – MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) above spec. level at low idle

152 – BARO - Barometric Pressure Signal out of range LOW

231 – ATA common fault

Trying to solve it without dropping big bucks at the international dealers,so I have done the following:

Change gas pedal to a new one.

Checked voltages at gas pedal connector – all in spec on all connectors at the plug.

Checked resistances from gas pedal connector to ECM – all in spec.

Transmission Modulator appears ok.

So far, I have just left the modular unplugged. She’s slow to shift, but that’s expected as the modulator is unplugged! ....but not sure if that could result in damage down the road.

So, my questions are:

What else should I check?

Is there a relay between the ECM and modulator? Could tthat could be the issue?

Also trying to track down a possible fuse that is linked to the gas pedal connector (maybe identified as F17, or G1, or H1). Not finding an obvious fuse in the panel that is related to the gas pedal circuit.

And, is there another fuse panel besides the one in the middle of the dash. I don’t have one on the outside under the driver’s window, but just want to make sure I’m not being a dummy and missing one that is squirreled away somewhere real odd.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Cheers

Douggy

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  09:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twice on IH's of this vintage, I have had the wiring at the neutral safety switch rub through and toss a code for accelerator pedal issues. I would check the wiring at and around the transmission very carefully.

Quite often, the wires at the modulator and the NSS will be zip tied right there at the units, and could have worn through. Cut the ties, and inspect them very closely.

Go to Top of Page

meanmechanic01

31 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  6:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit meanmechanic01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
your BAP sensor shares the 5v ref and signal ground from the aps/ivs... id double check the sensor and the wiring from the baro to the pedal.. i do know they sell a harness update for the sensor too.. if you need the pn just let me know... btw i had trouble finding the BAP the first time its behind the kick panel by your left foot when ur in the drivers seat.. hope it helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000