Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 high beams flicker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  08:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1998 IH 3800 bus that the high beams start flickering on and off after 5min or so. Does anyone have an idea where the relay for the high beams is? Is it part of the signal stat or is there a relay in the drivers kick panel. All of the labels on my relays in the kick panel are gone. Thanks for any insight.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  10:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is a Blue Bird/ IC bus, most likely your problem is the headlight switch connector. The pins in the connector can't handle the current load and melt the connector.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  06:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with the headlight connector on the light switch. I have has the same problem. Also dash light go off & on.
ED
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  07:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, buy a switch and the connector for the wire harness end at the switch. You'll likely need to replace both.
Go to Top of Page

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I fixed this problem by replacing headlight switch and connector. I also put both low beam and high beam circuits on there own separate body type solenoid. That way the headlight switch is just activating the solenoid and not having to handle the load of the lights. This fixes the overheating problem at the connection point of the headlight switch forever.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000