New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  06:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have this 09 dt466 with dpf it runs a little ruff and smokes really bad i did a cylinder cutout test and they all sound same i did a buzz test and number five sounds really strange so i am thinkin i might have an injector going bad so i was gonna switch it out but as i started takin it apart i desided si look inside the egr cooler to see if i had any coolant in there when i took the egr tube off connecting the right cooler to the egr valve it had oil in it and so did the egr valve i took the turbo hose off and the turbo had some oil in it not alot my question is has any had a problem with the crank case breather going bad and puttin oil in system i no it could be a turbo seal but just wondering if anyone has has a problem with the crank case breather putting oil in system what is strange is the oil is not low its actually over full just tryin to go thru all options

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you sure its oil in the egr cooler the coolant in the egr cooler mixing with the soot will make it look like oil.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  08:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when that spinner filter gets full the turbo will suck it through them and into intake, there is kits from navistar to change these to an open circuit instead of closed, a new filter is pricey , and if the unit has more than 100,000 km do all six injectors plus all new pucks (complete units not just the o-rings)those are the biggest issue with these engines can cause alot of other isues, bet the IMP sensor is clogged solid also and the grid heater is should be checked

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  09:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am pretty sure its not coolant i dont have coolant lose problems i took egr off and the tube that connects the egr to passenger cooler and then pressure tessted it for an hour and no leak also i already have the bullet proof coolers on it i replaced them last year and also six injectors with pucks and had dpf and doc cleaned like i said i am changing injector 5 under warrenty but the crankcase breather is original and the bus has ruffly 175000 miles thats y i was askin if anyone had problems with them i am gonna take the down pipe off and see if back of turbo is wet but i am leaning towards that crank case breather i actually have one in stock i usually change them if a turbo explodes
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the book says they are good for 120000km just like the cummins (but most of us wait for the 555 or 556 code might not be exact #'s) IH no sensor!! check your egr and itv valves also these screw up and don't always set a cel right off the bat if that much oil is being recycled , and if it gets bad enough the egr hot pipe will also clog up (the on behind the engine) in engine training they tell us a DOC and DPF should never need to be cleaned and should last 500,000 miles or more if the engine is working properly and the air out the tail pipe is cleaner then the air going through the air filter lmfao

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenozer

in engine training they tell us a DOC and DPF should never need to be cleaned and should last 500,000 miles or more if the engine is working properly and the air out the tail pipe is cleaner then the air going through the air filter lmfao

And that's all true, as long as a tow truck is pulling the bus everywhere, and it's not the bus running under it's own power!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good call on itv have to check that
Go to Top of Page

meanmechanic01

31 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  08:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit meanmechanic01's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if its over full on oil, i could imagine u have oil dilution causing air pockets in the hp oil system causing the rough running... run an air management system test and see the condition of the turbo and egr system isnt plugged or not working correctly.. first thing first change the oil thats overfull and see if it makes a difference! plugged emission system can cause the oil to build with excess pressure and the oil going thru the crossover tube... had that a few times... is the oil thin or smell like fuel?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  04:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i no for sure i have one bad injector i replaced that i am buttoning that up today and gonna changeoil its not really thn but not super thick either it will drip easy of the stick when i pull it out but will see what happens in an hour or two
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  12:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally got it all back together and running took it out for ride it smoked a little but nothing like before so i am hoping its just still a little oil left in the egr system i couldnt get out but it runs great and starts right up so will see what happens will put on route tomarrow and get feed back from driver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000