New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is slanted toward Thomas but it's interesting none the less. I don't agree with the longevity or the long term costs though. I want someone to start naming parts and their cost. Turbo, injectors, DPF, EGR, EGR cooler, and the list of high price parts goes on.

https://stnonline.com/partner-updates/choosing-school-bus-engines-to-reduce-budget-maintenance-headaches/

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  03:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have exact numbers on what is listed above, Turbo- 3-5K, injectors 200-500 each, DPF 2000-3000, DOC 1000, EGR valve 650, EGR cooler. 400 and up. DEF 1.50 to 2.00 a gal. I have no idea on parts for the DEF system.

This is why we went gas.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
645 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  03:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years

Edited by - Bluenozer on 02/06/2019 03:32:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  05:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas put out a "cost of ownership" in 2017 that was very misleading, the numbers in their own chart would not balance. I did the numbers and sent an email to Thomas rep. My thing is this, give fair, firm and consistent facts and the school district will make the best choice for them. everything I do at my district may not be best for another district.
in the report listed above "a clean-diesel school bus can travel around 510 miles on a tank of diesel vs. only 270 miles on gasoline, based on the same, standard-sized fuel tanks." so I see an avg of 7mpg on my diesel buses and several reports show that as well. I am seeing that the gas (which is not allowed in Kentucky) is getting about the same as propane which is 5mpg on avg. 54x5=270, 73x7=511
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  05:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas has an in house diesel engine to sell and currently no gasoline offering, so.................

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  06:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the prices. That's one of my points, how can you say your COO is low when you have high priced replacement parts? I guess they are looking at turning over stock quicker than I do. I assume higher mileage and older units are the ones having issues with these components. As for miles per tank, we can use 80 plus gallons per tank, get 5mpg (easy) on trips. That looks like 400 plus miles to me. They also mentioned that you can't get as many miles out of a gasoline engine. Now, I'm not fan of gasoline (propane is my fuel) but I don't think you're going to have an issue with getting over 200k out of the vast majority of them. Besides, you can put a rebuilt V10 into a BB for less than half the cost of the engine along of a diesel.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  06:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case in point.
Ford V10 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-V10-6-8L-30-Valve-Engine-Ford-F350-F450-F550-No-Valve-Cover-2005-2016/273660401515?hash=item3fb76e576b:g:iagAAOSw4QdahwiA
I can't find any newer rebuilt diesel engines out there on the web but I know the older ones would cost up toward 20k with labor.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  06:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Thanks for the prices. That's one of my points, how can you say your COO is low when you have high priced replacement parts? I guess they are looking at turning over stock quicker than I do. I assume higher mileage and older units are the ones having issues with these components. As for miles per tank, we can use 80 plus gallons per tank, get 5mpg (easy) on trips. That looks like 400 plus miles to me. They also mentioned that you can't get as many miles out of a gasoline engine. Now, I'm not fan of gasoline (propane is my fuel) but I don't think you're going to have an issue with getting over 200k out of the vast majority of them. Besides, you can put a rebuilt V10 into a BB for less than half the cost of the engine along of a diesel.

I'm not sure what your definition of older and high mileage is. My biggest issue and most costly are my 2013-2014 MaxxFarce 7. and my 2014-2015 MaxxFarce DT's.

My Maxx 7 line is running 39 cents a mile cost
DT's are .37 cents a mile
None of those have warranty issues figured in.

My 6.7 cummings are at .24 cents a mile. HUGE difference.

My V-10 gas fleet is currently at .22 cents a mile. But all are less then a year old too.

All these numbers come from Fleetvision with all fuel, parts and labor included.

My MPG's are 8.8 on my 6.7's and 5.8 on my gas Fleet.

We are perfectly flat here and temps are low 30's to high 90's

YMMV

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:

I'm not sure what your definition of older and high mileage is. My biggest issue and most costly are my 2013-2014 MaxxFarce 7. and my 2014-2015 MaxxFarce DT's.

I'm thinking after 5 years old and 100k. I know a lot of districts in our area roll theirs over after 5 years. Those people are going to stay with diesel because they aren't seeing the problems and if they do they are covered under warranty.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fastback not sure who all is offering a gas motor as they are not allowed in Kentucky buses, it was in the Thomas comparison,
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwinters

Fastback not sure who all is offering a gas motor as they are not allowed in Kentucky buses, it was in the Thomas comparison,

My point was that Thomas is promoting what they have to sell and right now they are losing out on some sales because only IC and Bluebird currently offer a gasoline engine option.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 02/06/2019 08:51:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  09:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RonF, what gas engine are you running?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  09:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roush V-10 Blue bird

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  10:39:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Roush V-10 Blue bird

Did you see where the V10 is going away?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  10:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Roush V-10 Blue bird

Did you see where the V10 is going away?

Yes, but a little while down the road.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  11:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News to me on the V10; what's up?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

News to me on the V10; what's up?

Ford is going to replace it with a 7.3 gas V8 pushrod engine. Code name "Godzilla" lol Sounds pretty badass to me.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/ford-debuts-new-godzilla-7-3-liter-v8-for-2020-f-series-super-duty-10-speed-auto

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  2:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was just reading up on this engine. It has the VCT like some other overhead cam engines that Ford has. If I'm not mistaken, I think this will be the first cam in block engine with the VCT.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000