New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  6:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard from word of mouth that AmTran is no longer in business, that International obsolved their assets. Is this true? As much as I don't like AmTran, its sad to here that.

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  6:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, International purchased a third of AmTran's assets back in the early '90's. I believe that International purchased the remaining 2/3rds of AmTran's assets within the past year or two, so now International owns AmTran.

Basically, AmTran buses are still made, but they are branded under the International nameplate. They are still the same product, but they are now known as International, rather than AmTran. However, you will still see some buses with the AmTran name on them such as the RE, FE, and 3800, until they fully make the changeover. You won't see the AmTran name on the International IC though.

In addition, International/AmTran is opening a new plant in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Or actually, it was supposed to be open last month I think. But the AmTran name is still in existence. I saw an AmTran RE that a nearby school district purchased back in March and it had the AmTran name, not the International nameplate.

But, in the next two years, it is most likely that you will start to see all the buses that would otherwise be known as AmTran, start to be known as International.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  6:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,
AmTran is alive and well in Conway, Arkansas.
International has just opened a new plant in Tulsa, just for IC assembly. The transits and regular conventionals will continue to be assembled in Conway for the forseeable future. The Tulsa facility is very large and will be used to augment production of other lines as sales dictate.
Joe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000