Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2006 Bluebird No Start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kkagerer

9 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  6:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kkagerer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. Reading through some of the forums has really helped me out several times already.

I have a 2006 Bluebird Vision that ran fine for his morning route and then would not start this afternoon. Batteries are good. 12.4v, checked the starter relay, that’s good also. Checked to make sure the ignition interlock on the back door wasn’t locked.

When you turn the key all lights go off and the amp gauge shoots way down, like it’s shorting out or something. Do you all think its the starter? I thought maybe the neutral safety switch but I’m not entirely sure where that is located on this specific bus. Thanks in advance for the help.

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  05:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check your grounds and make sure your battery cables are tight.
Go to Top of Page

kkagerer

9 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  05:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit kkagerer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Checked grounds, cables are tight...
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  07:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you load test the batteries? Just showing 12.4V doesn't necessarily mean they are good. It sounds like the voltage drops off when putting a load on them.
Go to Top of Page

kkagerer

9 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit kkagerer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I ran a load test on them this morning. They are good. The driver told me this morning the bus has had a hard time starting in the cold mornings and he has had to crank sometimes for over a minute. I think my next move is to jump the starter and see if it engages.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's definitely possible the starter is shorted or burned up and drawing too many amps - especially if it has been cranking for long periods of time every morning.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2018 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whack the starter with a hammer a couple times, I had one that if you didn't let the dash go through its self-check when cranking it would momentarily cut out and hang the starter. It would act as you are describing high amp draw when the key was turned, couple whacks and I could hear it pop out! As long as we waited for the gauges to finish sweeping it wouldn't do it, it also was 06/07 vision.
Go to Top of Page

kkagerer

9 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  05:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit kkagerer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that tip! I whacked it a few times and still no go. I replaced it yesterday afternoon finally and it started right up. But we have had issues with the 06/07 visions and starters, so I will keep the thought in mind that it may have just gotten bound up for future references. Thanks for your help everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000