Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 cummins isb crankcase breather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  1:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2012 Blue bird vision that I am having problems with the crankcase pressure sensor faulting for over pressure and turns on the stop engine light, it does not give any warnings it just goes straight to "stop engine". The vent filter was changed at New years break 2016-2017 school year and they say the interval should be at least 60k miles. The first time it happened was at the beginning of the school year this year at approx 100k miles and I just chalked it up a bad filter or from sitting over the summer and just replaced it again. It then faulted out just after new years break this year and I changed the pressure sensor. Now this morning it faulted out again so I pulled the valve cover and checked the overhead adjustment, good, cleaned the blow by tube and the oil return lines from the filter housing to where they feed back into the block and ran a brush through the fitting into the block then finished with compressed air. I then pulled off the air cleaner, Filter is clean, CAC hoses and exhaust pipe from the turbo and inspected for oil leaks or worn turbo bushings etc., no problem found. The oil was slightly over full by 1-1.5 quarts (dang drivers think it always has to be at the very top of the hash or above) so I drained some out till it was barely below the top of the hash. It is going out on route this afternoon so hopefully the problem goes away but I could not really find anything that was "wrong" other than being slightly overfull on oil. Has anyone ever had this problem with a Cummins with 120k on it? Thanks!

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  04:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was having this problem on a 2011 very recently. Replaced the filter but light was still on. Turned out to be a pinched hose (between ccv filter cover and turbo.)
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  09:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine vents to atmosphere not the turbo
Go to Top of Page

1Dieselman

28 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  10:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1Dieselman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We change our coalescing filters between 30-40k. The crankcase pressure sensor is supposed to red warn at 17.7 psi. Unfortunately what we found is a mechanic not pulling and checking the air filters with every service. Instead he was relying on the filter minder. Big mistake. We have replaced two engines in the last year, getting ready to replace another, each with around 250k miles on them that where completely worn out because the engine was working so hard trying to breath through filthy filters. You may need to hook up a manometer to the crankcase and find out how much pressure you really are building
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  2:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with 1Dieselman. Check and verify how much pressure you really have.
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  5:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We Just sent two 2012 c2s with 80,000 in last week one flagged for high crank pressure and now both need engines rebuilt. Dealer said air filters were plugged. Third time this has happened but there fix the last time was a rubber band between filter housing and plastic pipe going to the turbo so obviously that did not work.

Formally ICBUS0730

Edited by - ICBUS07-30 on 03/07/2018 5:32:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  05:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one that Cummins claimed was dusted but act had cracked rings in #6.
Denied warranty because we didn't have the rubber band update to the intake ducting. (C2)
With all the issues with plastic intake ducting we change the air filters EVERY oil change, because we are being told the filters are getting plugged and the engine is pulling dust past the filter-filter seal due to restriction...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000