Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Retiring Bus Markings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mngoken

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  08:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Send mngoken an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why, when a bus is retired, why black paint instead of yellow is used to cover school markings? Also, what does the law require to be removed when retiring a bus?

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  08:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know why, when a bus is retired, why black paint instead of yellow is used to cover school markings? Also, what does the law require to be removed when retiring a bus?

In Ohio when a bus is retired and a private individual pruchases that vehicle all "Markings" designating that vehicle as a school bus must be removed and the 8 way lights must be disconnected. I have heard that the vehicle must also now be painted something other than SB Yellow before the State Patrol Vehicle Inspection Team will come to inspect it and issue your title as a passenger vehicle/church bus/motor home.

-- Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
On the buses that I have seen that get retired, all of the markings are removed. They do not get painted over. All school district info, route numbers, etc. are all removed. However, I have seen a couple very old buses at someone's house that still have the town's name on it. One of the buses has the word "school" on the "school bus" sign painted over in yellow but that's it. I think that one of them also has their 4-way red warning lamps on it too.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  10:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mngoken,
We sand out and paint over our school districts markings when buses are auctioned. Since nearly all of our buses go to private schools and day-care facilities that continue to use them as school buses, we leave the "school bus" letters front and rear. Then they just have to add their school name. We found also that by painting them over in yellow we get more money for them at auction time because it saves the buyer a step in preparation. There is no requirement to dis able the pupil warning light system when selling a bus in Florida. Persons using them inappropriately could be charged, however.
I guess black paint would be used because it covers much better than the yellow, and requires only 1 coat to cover. Only School buses can be school bus yellow, so anyone using the bus for other purposes would be required to paint it, by Fl. law. Hope this helps.
Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 05/10/2001 10:47:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  6:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We black out the school district name, and that is about it. The bus number is located in six different locations on the bus, and that isn't even blacked out.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
In Michigan you are required by law to remove the district name by repaining or removing the letters if it was not painted on. The state police inspection sticker on our windshields must also be removed and all emerygency equipment must also be removed. The bus numbers may remain at the discretion of the district.

P.S. It is currently a federal law that states no other vehicle may be painted National School Bus Chrome Yellow except a school bus.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2001 :  9:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it's federal law? I can see not having a bus converted into an RV be SB chrome yellow, but I've seen vehicles that are in the same color. Ford's new light-duty SUV, the Escape, actually has as a color option "chrome yellow". Also, a lot of DPW vehicles are the same color, even though they're not school buses.

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2001 :  10:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey
Yupper, I am sure. Its actually illegal to use the formula for paint to match it or get paint of that formula. Now, you know just 1 ounce of tint can barely be noticable but it techinally is still a new colour since it has an ounce, or half an ounce of a differnent colour which makes it different. If you tried to colour match a new buses side panel, you would probably get questioned what it was for or if you asked to paint something the same colour as school buses, they may question if you are painting an auto or not. However, who is going to not sell you paint if you have money and are in a paint store or an auto parts store? No one I know. If you want a colour, they will get you it.

Did you know you are supposed to do the blackout effect when you retire a bus? It's true. Everyone is legally suppsoed to blackout, which means paint over the everything black on the bus when you retire or get rid of it. We don't where I work however I know some places here that do

Go to Top of Page

busguy34

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  03:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is no such federal law on paintig black or not being able to use yellow on other vehicles when selling buses. never was...... if you run bus here in pennsylvania you must either remove 8 way lights and cover holes or paint lights black,remove stop arms and crossing gate and be issued either bus plates or omnibus plates

MARK R. EGAN
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  5:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I feel you should have to remove the 8 ways when selling a school bus, unless selling it to another school. We once sold a 75 model, and one day when I was driving my route I saw the person who bought it driving it down the road with the overhead reds on. That is all the bus had so there was no stop arm, but he was driving down the road with the overheads on.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats odd, in the DOT manual i read that no other vehicle can be national school bus chrome yellow as well as our own state law book. FYI- Blackout means there can be no black on the bus, not paitning it black but painting it yellow.

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2001 :  11:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's easier to take a can of black spray paint and block out the school bus lettering. Although, my last buses we sold we used yellow paint to match the bus. You could use any color. School Districts just want to hide their name on the bus. Liability could be a reason too.

Go to Top of Page

svhockeyjock

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send svhockeyjock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Back in Pittsburgh the Contractor name was put on with Vynal stick on letters so it was just taken off with a heat gun, here in Georgia they are painted on and just painted over with black cuz the black paint used for the lettering shows through the yellow unless you use like 6 coats.

John Scott Boreland
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Michigan most are also aplied with the vinyl numbers and letters. However, most are applied at the body manufacturer and the final clear coating is applied opver the numbers and letters to help them last longer.

The painted style are extra hard to take care of because you don't want any signs of the original owners to be present. We usually sand, acid wash, prime and then apply a fresh new layer of yellow.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000