Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 These codes!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  05:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/codespic.jpg.html][/URL]
These codes were present before we replaced all the injectors, the codes remain and engine still has a miss. We also replaced the EGR valve cleaned the MAT, MAP, EBP sensors. Engine is a 2009 MaxxForce DT 9/10 any suggestions?

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 05/09/2014 05:13:20 AM

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  07:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had a 2008 DT come in with the cyl balance code issue(only showing code for #4 cyl) ended up being a faulty injector.. didn't store any codes specifically saying faulty injector...
If you haven't seen one already ...wait till you get a warn engine light and when you plug in laptop to find it says code is "Healing".. had a 2013 tell me that the other day...
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  08:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After replacing all the injectors it still runs like crap and no power. It won't allow me to do a KOER test on the injectors because the EBP is unable to build.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  08:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry,,,guess I didn't read bottom.. didn't see where you had already replaced injectors..only time I have seen that cyl bal code was a faulty injector....

All codes previously active now, were active before repairs? did you clear codes and they came back? My dealer recomends clearing all codes after repairs, then run and test and see what.. if any come back...

Possible egr valve issue? valve train in proper adjustment? good fuel? mechanical parts all ck good? if no active codes

I had an EGR stuck resently and it would Idle ok, ran rough acted like a miss off idle and didn't have enough power to get out of its own way... had one 08 bus a couple years ago that lost a cam due to valve train failure...the roller follower turned sideways and tore up cam..

Edited by - slippert on 05/09/2014 09:08:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  09:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah codes were present before repair and cleared codes after repair and codes came back, also replaced EGR valve. I'll check the valve adjustments since you mentioned it. Thanks for the reply. I'm still scratching my head on this one.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had injector codes set before with a bad cam sensor.... only on the older DT's though.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@second.flood did it have a miss before you replaced the cam sensor? I know it was on an older 466 but you might be onto something.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  11:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, Ha, healing! If only!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah JoeHEB1, it ran terrible.
Cam sensor really doesn't seem to fit your symptoms, but maybe worth a try?

Edited by - second.flood on 05/09/2014 12:30:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Ha, Ha, healing! If only!!

Yep bwest.... had same reaction when I read that on servicemaxx....mine was more of a Pffffft!! wtf!!
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  11:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: replaced EBP, MAT, MAP sensors with no luck. Engine still has a miss and same codes.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  07:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So that is an 09 engine, which makes it an 07 emission engine correct? if so that makes yours the in cylinder (using fuel injectors) dosing system for regen purposes?,,, mine run rough and kind of miss when regening,,,maybe more of a problem with ECM,,,programing,,, doc,,,dpf?, Just thought hope it helps...

Edited by - slippert on 05/13/2014 07:43:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just for giggles, do you have a sister bus? if so swap ecm's and see if it follows the ecm.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  08:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have plenty of buses to swap ECM with, I'll try that before replacing the 3 of 6 brand new injectors that we just installed. That's genius guys! It didn't occur to me that it could be the ECM, I have 500 things going on at once and some times need expert opinons. Thanks I'll keep y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: swapped ECM's and still has a miss and same codes came back. I guess 3 out of 6 injectors we just installed are bad. It's ok cause the place we buy the injectors from will pay for the labor under warranty.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  04:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: replaced injectors #3 #5 #6 per codes and the same codes come back. Still runs like crap! Thinking the injector harness maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  05:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did have some broken injector wire holders on an 05 DT once that allowed wire to rub on inside of rocker cover and short out.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/20/2014 05:48:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  06:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Fastback I inspected the injector wires and they look good. I'm reading the IKNOW section and it mentions something about bank "A" and bank "B". Does anyone know if there's any modules or relays that run each bank?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  1:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: removed valve cover and ran engine, cylinder #3 rocker arm (intake side) is not moving at all. So this tells me one of two things, the roller tappet gave up the ghost or the cam lobe is chewed up. Or BOTH!!! So I'll be pulling the head off and keep y'all posted.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is a proper diagnostic method for all problems which I have found to be very successful in finding problems. If followed and using the proper tools it will eliminate good components. This process narrows down the possibilities of failed parts or wiring issues. It is in the diagnostic manual for each engine. When using service max as a diagnostic tool, always refer to the engine specification page also listed in the diagnostic manual. These specifications list all sensor values under idle, mid speed and high speed conditions. If your values shown in service max are different from what is shown in the specification page under the conditions indicated then a problem exists in that system. There is a step by step performance diagnostic procedure and a hard start no start diagnostic procedure which cover all related systems.
Before replacing any injector always perform a CPA test (Cylinder Performance Analyzer)using the CPA tool. This can be purchased from IC. The new CPA tool also identifies failed HPOP (requires additional cable set). It plugs into the laptop and is accessed through service max. Cables are connected to the CKP and CMP sensors. It will identify weak cylinders and gives a very accurate accounting of cylinder performance. It does not tell you if the injector is bad but rather narrows down the search to particular cylinder or cylinders. Other issues may exist in the cylinder which indicate a condition exists.
When replacing injectors always replace all orings in the oil manifold. Injector pucks may need to be replaced as well but always eliminate all good components by following proper diagnostic procedures first before throwing parts at it.
IC has one of the best customer training programs and information systems available through the On Command customer site. If you are not using the sight your dealer can get you access free of charge or you can call 1-800-336-4500 for customer support.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  06:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/cam14A.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/tappet14A.jpg.html][/URL]

Update: it seems that metal fatigue is the culprit here, the tappet guide broke causing the tappet to turn 90 degrees and ride on the cam side ways and chewing up the cam.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  07:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Pretty gnarly stuff right there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000