New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  2:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering you guys could tell me (I'm sure Wagonmaster can help on this one) which mirrors system is better, I'm not talking about the crossveiw mirrors. I'm talking about the side mirrors (Right outside, Left outside, Right convex, Left convex mirrors)

The double nickels mirrors or the Rosco mirrors (The one with two mirrors join together)

Cause I was wondering would you more likely to have more veiw in the double nickels than the rosco mirrors system or they are about the same?

Thanks for any input guys!

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Thomas00, funny you should mention me. LOL!
Florida specs included the double nickel type mirror system starting back in 1993 or 94. This system includes the double mirror mounted on the bus and the "banana type" crossview on each front fender. This system appeared to our committee to have the best view of the loading area combined with an excellent perspective all around the bus, and I certainly agree. We now allow the new Rosco Euro style mirrors (both manual and power) with a similar sized viewing area to replace the original configuration if desired. We speced the whole system, not just the Rosco or the crossview type. The power Euro style, we feel, will encourage drivers to keep their mirrors properly adjusted. The Euro style system offers essentially the same glass and viewing area as the original double nickel system does. We prefer the Euro type mount and our bus washes don't eat them! Hope this helps.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  3:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe I knew you could help.

The resoning why I was asking was because I want to present this to my fleet manger about power Euro style mirrors. I think they would be useful in our fleet. Cause it would eliminates all of the "jungle gym" of brackets and arms on our buses. Power Euro style mirrors would be able help drivers adjust their own mirrors instead having to wait to get help for the guys at the shop. Don't get me wrong they give us their 100% service. I feel they need to really be forcing giving their 100% service to our buses which they do, but we drivers seem to take their time away from that when dealing with mirrors.

So Joe does this power Euro style really help your drivers to avoid blind spot since they adjust their own mirrors? All so you said the this mirrors is just a good as the double nickels mirrors right?

Also Joe I was wondering which crossview mirror you like to use. The Rosco hawks-eye mirror, or the new BusBoy mirror that now being use on Blue Bird. (Not the Blue Bird Ero style mirror) It also being use on Thomas too here an ex.

This is a Thomas from Jason page http://members.tripod.com/jasonsbuspage/22033.htm I don't know if you have seen the new BusBoy crossveiw mirror. It still the banana type mirror.

Hey Wagonmaster here is other one picture of the new busboy mirror on a Thomas Freight http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/busyard2/025.html This one is from The BusBoy site

Anyway thanks for your input, anyone eles input is welcome too, Thanks

P.S. Jason and Mike I hope you guys don't mind me using y'all pictures to show Wagonmaster the new BusBoy mirrors system.

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~

Edited by - Thomas00 on 03/25/2002 3:06:54 PM

Edited by - Thomas00 on 03/25/2002 4:06:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  4:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hehehe The photo of our new "02-5" was taken by Bri98-87 here on SBF. He works for the distributor we get our buses from.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"The pacifist's task today is to find a method of helping and healing which provides a revolutionary constructive substitute for war."
-Vera Brittain
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  7:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mirror in the pictures appears to be the one that we are using.
I think the power Euro mirrors help get mirrors adjusted properly to begin with. They probably don't eliminate any more blind spots than the standard double nickel set up will when it is properly adjusted. The key here is "properly adjusted". The power mirrors all but ensure adequate adjustment for each driver. Of course there is never a guarantee, but this makes it about as easy as it gets. I have had many drivers come and tell me how much they like the power adjustment feature and I think it's a step in the right direction when you get that much positive feedback.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2002 :  08:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I still see school districts specing the old 7x16 flat mirror with the 7 round convex.

We have speced the double nickle style mirrors since 1995. I personally like how on our Thomas Built the drivers mirror comes out front and is viewed through the windshield instead of through the drivers window.

We don't have any buses with the new Euro mirrors yet. I have seen the setup on the new Saf-T-Liners. I like that, but on a conventional you can't have all three mirrors in one you still have to have the cross view mirrors out in front of the bus.

We had just the 7x16 on our buses up until 93, we never had the 7 round convex. I never really thought about the mirrors to much until I started driving bus 98 I really liked the double nickle style mirrors. Now when I get in my 86-A it seems odd just looking through one flat mirror.

"Thomas Parking Only- All others will be crushed."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000