Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  08:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have a 2009 IC CE300 that has a malfunctioning "leave no student behind" system.

The system will not reset itself and "clear out" after running the route. The door handle can be raised several times, but to no avail....it continues beeping and goes to the honking/lights flashing mode.

Any ideas?

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  08:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
park brake light working in your dash?

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you checked, but the key needs to be in the Accessory position.

There are directions on the headerboard above the driver. I hate the systems on the IC's the most.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  12:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had an 08 do the same thing about 2 months after purchase and what i found was one of the diodes they use in the system that are located in between the glove box (beside driver) and the top of the electrical panel had a wire pulled out of it (typical IC stretched tight wiring) if i remember correctly there are three of them in the same area, also they will fit or hang in panel area with a little wiring rearranging then they are easier to keep track of. may not be your problem but worth a look.
Go to Top of Page

rcbusman

21 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  12:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit rcbusman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i had a simular problem due to the diode pack had a diode in backward.
Go to Top of Page

hinsonj

4 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hinsonj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a bus do this and it was a misadjusted micro swicth above entrance doors in panel,it tells the system that the doors are closed....
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of the issues we have had so far is the driver failing to set the parking brake. Fortunately, they were on level ground and didn't roll into anything.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  3:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whe8913

Hello,

I have a 2009 IC CE300 that has a malfunctioning "leave no student behind" system.

The system will not reset itself and "clear out" after running the route. The door handle can be raised several times, but to no avail....it continues beeping and goes to the honking/lights flashing mode.

Any ideas?

Under warrantee?

Go to Top of Page

GPwing

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  5:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPwing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had one with interminted problem with rear switch ground, ran new ground wire to switch and problem solved.
Ground for switch is somewhere in the end cap.
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  08:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, parking brake is set (air brakes) and key is in accessory position. All procedures for disarming the system have been followed.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  08:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most what I see here is the park brake switch is bad. when you set the park brake it should illuminate the light in the dash. if it is not on and the park brake is set, thats your giveaway. we have had the occasional diode and other problems but most of the time it is a failed park brake switch. All our buses are air brake. hopefully this helps.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  09:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, find your problem?

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  2:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked on one yesterday and was cussing like a sailor as the horn blasted on. till I read...Put Ignition In Accessory. Hehe

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  3:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

I worked on one yesterday and was cussing like a sailor as the horn blasted on. till I read...Put Ignition In Accessory. Hehe

GOTCHA!!

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If all else fails, disconnect the battery. It will reset the system.

Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  8:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just unhook the horns. After ten minutes the system resets itself and I hook em back up.
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  07:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did find the problem- it was the parking brake valve, like several mentioned.

Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page

tyler b

22 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  6:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit tyler b's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow the forum saved a trip to the IC dealer!!!
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  07:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It had already been to the dealer twice, for a total of 3 weeks, and they couldn't get it to malfunction, and didn't know the answer to it!!! Basically, the park light would come on appropriately for them.

Why is it they "straighten up" when they go to the shop?
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's run by a computer. Why should you expect more?

Bill Gates must be involved somewhere.Gimme those old (dependable) mechanical systems anyday.

Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  12:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^I'm a huge fan of mechanical engines,too. Not too many bus enthusiasts agree with me, but I just let them go on and believe in what they say.

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  05:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tatum

^I'm a huge fan of mechanical engines,too. Not too many bus enthusiasts agree with me, but I just let them go on and believe in what they say.

There are a lot more on your side than you think. The younger generation may prefer the new buses with the electronic engines, multiplexed wiring, and all the bells and whistles, but most of us long for the days of mechanical engines, all-steel construction, and solid, reliable buses.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
^AMEN!

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish they could bring all the comfort and options of today's buses, with the reliability of yesterday's buses.

I love the way our Visions ride, and the smoothness of the 6.7L engine.... I think the bus manufactures would be ahead of the game to get rid of the multiplexed bodies and go back to the old wiring systems.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  2:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why did they make the switch in the first place?
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  3:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recall it was supposed to integrate the systems on the bus, and make it easier for mechanics to diagnose problems. I think the hidden idea behind them is to CREATE problems for the mechanics.

Even the little Starcraft shuttle buses at work have a multiplexer.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 01/30/2011 3:34:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  5:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tatum

I totally agree. I love my old 12 valve cummins engines. They are solid, and they are simple. If its cold out, plug them in, or give them a small shot of ether. Either way, we still know how to get them started if its cold out.
One thing I remember the head mechanic telling me about my bus when I bought it years ago was that since it was all mechanical, it wouldn't shut off unless you pull the cable, or if it runs out of fuel. He was referring to the mechanical fuel shutoff. :P
He told me if an alternator fried out, you could just keep driving no problem.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  6:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All the creature comforts and interlocks and safety systems make multiplexing a necessity. It was done in cars and trucks years ago because the wiring looms were getting just way too big. And it was been done reliably. If you want the buses wiring to go back to conventional means, then you must expect to lose some creature comforts and new safety mandates. Don't get me wrong...I think some buses do need to be simplified...but multiplexing should be (when done right) your friend.

Frankly, I'd take a multiplexed bus that tells me where to start looking for a problem over my '06 All American that is wired traditionally with pinched wires galore and relays up the wazoo.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  3:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

Why did they make the switch in the first place?

The Federal Government....... Let US help you......

Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  5:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was the brake valve?? or just the switch. I cant say as ive seen that before. seen several switches. unless the valve was failing to vent the air i dont see how it could be that. you have me curious.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

ICCE36NJ

1 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  6:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICCE36NJ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found out another reason why it also won't deactivate. You have to open the Emergency Door slightly for I would say about 3-6 steady seconds then close it. I've learned that they now have made the system to not disarm if somone pulls up on the handle and not opening it slightly.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICCE36NJ

I found out another reason why it also won't deactivate. You have to open the Emergency Door slightly for I would say about 3-6 steady seconds then close it. I've learned that they now have made the system to not disarm if somone pulls up on the handle and not opening it slightly.

If you have to open the door, there is something wrong.

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 09/04/2012 10:13:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICCE36NJ

No, can't be. There is no switch to show when the door opens, only when lever is pulled up. Besides, why would you need to open the door? You only need to show you are at the back of the bus in order to check for children sleeping/ hiding.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000